Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM

65 posts, read 228,646 times

Advertisements

I have a pre-costruction meeting with my builder here in Austin. In this meeting I will need to sign the plan for my lot that the builder will prsent. I have not yet received the plan to do the review in advance. My realtor is on vacation and will not be avialble for the meeting tomorrow.

I am not exerirenced in this area so I would like to know what to watch out for. What are the risks? It is a strange co-incidence that my realtor is on vacation when the builder wants to have pre-construction meeting. I feel that my builder asks for all these signatures and puts me in a bind. I am fully commited to building the house but I just want to make sure that there is not catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM

29 posts, read 107,522 times
Hi Mikey,
IMHO, this is a pretty standard part of the new construction process. They should review with you the floorplan and any structural options or major upgrades you selected. Then, they'll walk you through the plot plan for your lot and explain where your lot lines fall, where easements exist, where any trees are located, where your A/C pad will be, how drainage will be set up to keep water away from your home, and tell you the dimensions of your slab and any other concrete work planned. While there is always a chance of errors during this process, I personally haven't had any clients with issues this early.

That said, you're right to question anyone who pushes you to sign something you're not comfortable signing. If you prefer to have your Realtor present, by all means tell them that the appointment must be rescheduled.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey0915 View Post
I have a pre-costruction meeting with my builder here in Austin. In this meeting I will need to sign the plan for my lot that the builder will prsent. I have not yet received the plan to do the review in advance. My realtor is on vacation and will not be avialble for the meeting tomorrow.

I am not exerirenced in this area so I would like to know what to watch out for. What are the risks? It is a strange co-incidence that my realtor is on vacation when the builder wants to have pre-construction meeting. I feel that my builder asks for all these signatures and puts me in a bind. I am fully commited to building the house but I just want to make sure that there is not catch.
Juts tell the builder you're happy to meet and look things over but are not comfortable signing anything until your agent has a chance to review with you. Then set a follow up date for signing.

Generally, the "plan" meeting is going to just be settling on what changes or options you want, such as adding a separate shower to the master, kitchen upgrades, etc. You want someone helping you decide which of these type of upgrades or options make sense and which don't. Some you should do, some you shouldn't, depending on what's normal for the neighborhood.

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 08-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
If you customized at all make sure that is documented and correct. Now is the time to fix stuff, not later when it will cost you.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
One recommendation is to add more outlets, have the attic decked, and walls of the garage insulated. Those are cheap easy things to add now and you won't be charged extra change costs tomorrow. I think.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 AM

65 posts, read 228,646 times
One of the difference I am seeing is that my driveway is 17 feet wide but another house with same plan has 19 feet wide driveway. Is this OK?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
DOn't know much about any of this, but I just wanted to let you know that we have a Taylor-Morrison home (well, just Morrison at the time) and have been really happy with it. We bought it resale but many of our neighbors built theirs and all were very pleased with the process and have been very happy with their home. I think they are a good builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: