Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 9,042 times

Advertisements

We are about to buy home and I always want my home to be bright and sunny throughout the day. We recently like one home facing North and the back side faces South. Living area and kitchen and patio faces south.
Overall we like the home but my only concern is we can get more sunlight from south side or west side?
It's in Minnesota. So plz guys advice me . Will this house be bright and sunny and should I go for it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have a similar orientation. Our street goes east to west, so the front gets very little sunlight, and the back which is the dining room, kitchen and family room gets sun all day (when we have sun). On that rare sunny fall/winter/spring day it's nice, since that's where we spend our time. In summer it can be annoyingly bright, so we have to close blinds, and it also heats up by afternoon so that we have to turn on the AC by about 4pm. Our East side gets no sun do to the house next door and tall trees, the west side gets afternoon/evening sun, but that's only the garage and bonus room above it.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea butter View Post
We are about to buy home and I always want my home to be bright and sunny throughout the day. We recently like one home facing North and the back side faces South. Living area and kitchen and patio faces south.
Overall we like the home but my only concern is we can get more sunlight from south side or west side?
It's in Minnesota. So plz guys advice me . Will this house be bright and sunny and should I go for it?
Thanks
Your kitchen and living area and patio will be plenty sunny assuming you have windows.

What good is a South facing house (for sunlight purposes) if the living areas face North? Kind of misses the point, no?

My house faces North. But the equally long and straight back of the house faces South. The kitchen faces south. The windows in the back of the house are smaller, but that's ok with me since in North Carolina, that means less energy spent cooling the place in the summer. We get plenty of natural light all day.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Living areas need to be south facing in colder climates. It’s really the most sensible energy and light in the winter months. Whatever area you use least can be north facing and then you get nice even solar distribution throughout the day.

If you were in the Southern Hemisphere or a sunnier climate I’d give different advice

Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I can't say whether you should buy that house, but you'll get more sunlight facing south.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:24 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea butter View Post
Thanks

Whatever faces south will be the 'bright and sunny' (and HOT) parts of the house in summer.

FWIW, we just finished extending our covered porch over the entire south side of our house to keep the house cooler in summer.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Can you put in Solatubes? They will make a dramatic difference in the amount of light.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,042 times
Thanks all
The house have really big windows and patio on the south.
So kitchen and living room faces south but 2 bedroom faces north.
My confusion was we get more sunlight from south or west side ?
Because that house is North - South orientation, north front, south back.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:28 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Our home faces east, but we have a wall of windows on the south side of the house. We get lots of light throughout the whole house. The sun is coming in through the east and south side windows right now. I am also in NC, but in the mountains, so having an east facing house is actually nice since we don't get terribly warm at our elevation.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM

184 posts, read 143,828 times
I think you'll get plenty of light from the south. You'll have light all day long with that. If your windows face west, then you have half the day - at most - with sun in those rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate