Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 09:59 PM

10,916 posts, read 7,424,551 times

Advertisements

Not sure where this belongs, but I'll try here...

We're buying a house a little way out in the country at the end of a very short (100 feet or so) unpaved road, with three or four other houses between us and the paved road.

The other houses seem to have addresses and mailboxes on the paved road. Our house address is on the dirt road.

Where should our mailbox be?

Will the P.O. deliver on a dirt road? (They didn't where I lived before, but rules seem to vary from place to place.)

Can I put my mailbox on the paved road, even though it's not my road? I've heard there's an easement where it would be legal to put a box, and there are boxes there now.

How do I tell the post office? I've heard they make you go through a lot of red tape. I've been stuck with a p.o. box for years, I'd really like home delivery.

My realtor doesn't know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
I'd start by talking to the neighbors and the mailman.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:57 AM

23,361 posts, read 18,956,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Not sure where this belongs, but I'll try here...

We're buying a house a little way out in the country at the end of a very short (100 feet or so) unpaved road, with three or four other houses between us and the paved road.

The other houses seem to have addresses and mailboxes on the paved road. Our house address is on the dirt road.

Where should our mailbox be?

Will the P.O. deliver on a dirt road? (They didn't where I lived before, but rules seem to vary from place to place.)

Can I put my mailbox on the paved road, even though it's not my road? I've heard there's an easement where it would be legal to put a box, and there are boxes there now.

How do I tell the post office? I've heard they make you go through a lot of red tape. I've been stuck with a p.o. box for years, I'd really like home delivery.

My realtor doesn't know the answer.
Similar to my current house. Mail is not delivered to the houses on my side road even though that road is the official street address. There are a couple of places along a paved arterial close by that have clusters of mailboxes, but the space is designated by the borough; can't just put a new one up anywhere. Each house on my road has a box, labeled with the house address. I followed and stopped the carrier and asked about putting up a new box or using an existing one that was now vacant. The previous owners of your house might have had one that you can now use. She told me everything I needed to know. Usually, if I have a package that won't fit in the box she'll bring it to the door. YMMV.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:04 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times
You don't tell the post office. The post office tells you where to put your mail box.

When we first moved into our house everyone on the street had to put their mailboxes at the street entrance. The street was still private so the post office wasn't allowed to deliver to individual houses. It had to be a grouping of mailboxes. I hated it as it was about 1/2 mile from our house and not near any houses. It would have been very easy for mail box thieves to steal things. When we received a USPS package we had to drive to the post office (30 minutes away). When the street was finally turned over to the county, the post office began to deliver to individual houses.

I'd call the local post office or walk in and ask them about it.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,502,218 times
I know when we've developed new subdivisions, the mailman has given us a map on where the mailboxes were to be placed. We didn't get to use discretion, we had to put them where the map stated. And when we had a problem a few years ago with the mailman continuously hitting our mailpost with their truck and damaging it, we looked into the option of moving it and the post office said no. Also, when we've had rentals on dirt roads, the post office typically put the box at the end, on the paved section, at least if the unpaved section is short with only a few houses, like yours sounds to be.

So I'd be a vote for ask the postoffice, but I'd guess they'd put it on the paved road.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM

400 posts, read 575,034 times
I wouldn't be surprised if they make you put your mailbox up by the rest. At least around here, they are not willing to extend mail delivery routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate