Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:03 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I'd love it if MLS included a code for Internet service (Dialup/DSL/Cable/None), just like they do for water and heat.

Doesn't mean that realtors would manage to fill it in correctly when inputting a new listing, but it's the thought that counts.
Keep in mind the information you are inquiring about is primarily provided by the seller in the property disclosures. Don't be so quick to throw the Realtor under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Post Thread title says "broadband", which has a specific definition per the FCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The house has internet. Whether or not it has the internet that you need, is another story. And again, the realtor has likely gone his entire career with dialup or Hughesnet and finds it perfectly adequate.
Thread title says "broadband", which has a specific definition per the FCC. Dialup is not broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Keep in mind the information you are inquiring about is primarily provided by the seller in the property disclosures. Don't be so quick to throw the Realtor under the bus.
The worst of the errors in MLS that I've encountered were clearly data entry errors, like filling in the field for "Property size (Acres)" with the square footage of the house or some other clearly incorrect number, or listing a house as being on town gas when the photos clearly show a giant propane tank in the yard and the local realtor darn well knows that there is no natural gas service in that part of the state.

If I list my house for sale, I'll include a speedtest.net report card in amongst the photos.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 PM

244 posts, read 235,555 times
Quote:
I have cable broadband, and 4G as backup, so video conferencing and HD streaming is no problem here in S.NH

I'll see your singleton and raise you a whole family raiding my side garden:
That is nice for you. We used to get deer to stare us down in the middle of the street in the city limits of Novato Callif. I guess I should have posted a pic of the flock of 40 wild turkeys and a view of our 9 acres instead.

The point is most people wanting Broadband AND a rural setting are faced with some compromises.
Attached Thumbnails
Realtors won’t tell you that there is no broadband-dear_in_front.png  

Old 12-26-2017, 02:08 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Post Many people wanting Broadband AND a rural setting are faced with compromises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
The point is most people wanting Broadband AND a rural setting are faced with some compromises.
Agreed.

Affordable, Fast Internet, Rural . Choose two (if you're lucky).

Old 12-26-2017, 02:14 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Thread title says "broadband", which has a specific definition per the FCC. Dialup is not broadband.

The worst of the errors in MLS that I've encountered were clearly data entry errors, like filling in the field for "Property size (Acres)" with the square footage of the house or some other clearly incorrect number, or listing a house as being on town gas when the photos clearly show a giant propane tank in the yard and the local realtor darn well knows that there is no natural gas service in that part of the state.

If I list my house for sale, I'll include a speedtest.net report card in amongst the photos.
I understand that.

But the thread title also says "Realtor's Won't tell you," the implication being that they should tell you about the lack of broadband. There is some debate over what should be actively pointed out to you by your realtor, what info he or she should have ready or at least be able to access for you, and what is your duty as a buyer to ask or investigate.

Some people feel that this is kind of like the realtor telling you that the gravel road might get dusty in dry windy weather; something that's pretty obvious and wouldn't need saying.

The thread starter feels that its something the Realtor's actively conceal from their buyers.

Other people, myself included, are saying that its something in the middle; the realtor should at least point you in the right direction should you ask.

My point is, that if you've lived somewhere for a long time, there are things you take for granted; those can be things you have and things you don't have. No one would fault an NYC realtor for not telling his client that its a 24 hour city and the street isn't quiet and dark after 9 PM like it might be in rural TN. Similarly, someone that's lived their entire life without access to broadband or some other high speed internet wouldn't know to tell you that they lack it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate