Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to find out if a previous owner was paying for flood insurance?
Shortly after I purchased my home, it came to my attention that I was zoned in a flood zone, and required additional insurance. The disclosure from the owner stated it was "NOT" located in a flood zone. My neighbors, state she was aware she was in a flood zone, and was paying flood insurance. My title company is denying any liability stating this information did not "fall under" my title insurance.!! Help! I would not have purchased the property, had I been made aware of this before, the purchase. My closing documents showed an incorrect/old flood map!!
Can anyone offer suggestions??
I live in Ohio
Amy Trixie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Maybe someone will know the answer to your question. The only thing that comes to my mind is something called the Clue Report, which only the owner of a home can request. Those buying a resale home might be wise to ask for this as part of their negotiation. Now that you own the home, you can probably get it, but I don't know how much of the previous info will be on it. This report is supposed to have the history of all claims made on the house, so you may find what you're looking for there.

Perhaps someone else will be able to tell you more about this report. It's something like the Carfax on cars. Check Clark Howard's website (clarkhoward.com). He probably has info about this report, maybe even a link.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
my mortgage company caught that I needed flood insurance and they would not give us the mortgage or go forward without it. Did you pay cash or get a mortgage?

We knew part of our neighborhood was/is in a flood zone but wasn't 100% about our house, we asked the seller, he said yes told us what he had for insurance and even sent a copy of his insurance along with the necessary pictures required to obtain flood insurance to our insurance provider and we got the same coverage.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM

144 posts, read 496,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Maybe someone will know the answer to your question. The only thing that comes to my mind is something called the Clue Report, which only the owner of a home can request. Those buying a resale home might be wise to ask for this as part of their negotiation. Now that you own the home, you can probably get it, but I don't know how much of the previous info will be on it. This report is supposed to have the history of all claims made on the house, so you may find what you're looking for there.

Perhaps someone else will be able to tell you more about this report. It's something like the Carfax on cars. Check Clark Howard's website (clarkhoward.com). He probably has info about this report, maybe even a link.
Welcome to ChoiceTrust

Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
Where did the 'old' map come from? And where was your insurance company when they quoted you your insurance to begin with? And last but not least...what did your agent say about all of this? Are you telling me she/he didn't know if you were in a flood zone or not?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Just because someone is paying for flood insurance, it does not follow that they are in a flood zone. I pay for flood insurance (voluntary) but am not in a designated flood zone. The house may not have been in a flood zone when you purchased it (you don't say why you think you are in a flood zone now or how this came to your attention) but FEMA recently redrew all the maps, I know the latest maps for my area went into effect around last August. I would also not rely on your neighbor. It is not unusual to find a that residences adjacent to each other have different ratings, in my case it is one block away.
First step you should take is go to the FEMA website and look up the FIRM maps and verify that you are actually in a flood zone. If you are, then buy flood insurance post haste (takes a month to go into effect) so that you are covered, then you can dispute with the previous owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate