Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM

645 posts, read 706,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That's what I would do. If you're going to be living there for another five years, you'll be heating a LOT of extra water that you don't need with a 75 gallon tank. I have a 50 gallon tank for my household and I plan to downsize. Point of use tanks are an option to consider. Tankless, too.

Isn't tankless very expensive to install, one guy said if I will be living there for a long time then it's a good investment, otherwise initial cost is very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
yeah in master bed it got 1 large jetted tub.

So going from existing 75 to 50 the job will need a permit? need a professional plumber to do that right and it will cost more. Handyman can't do it?

Got kinda confused some say it's an easy job just hire a handyman do it, no need to spend 10x hire a pro. Some said it got gas involved and need to bring up to code so get a pro.

also house and gas water heater are both 12 years old. 5 bedroom 5.5 bath. thanks for the help.
I don't think you need a permit, But I'm not a lawyer, home inspector, or anything else. And, I don't think it would cost 10X to get a plumber vs a Handyman.

The question is, will the handyman touch it? Some of that depends on your locale and your handyman. I know that around here, in theory, a Handyman is allowed to swap out your kitchen faucet, or replace the lifter setup in the toilet bowl, but not replace a toilet or break the wax seal on the toilet. Some will, I'm sure but they could get in trouble.

The job, in and of itself, is simple. Is there a shutoff on the gas line above the water heater?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:37 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
To change the tank my county needs permit, so if I have a handyman do it and he doesn't provide permit, later I need to sell the house then what?
Wow--I guess Vegas needs the money. I've never needed a permit in my area and I've always changed my own water heaters. They're rather easy to replace. But, if a permit is required, you might as well get one. There's no sense in creating future complications.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Isn't tankless very expensive to install, one guy said if I will be living there for a long time then it's a good investment, otherwise initial cost is very high.
By "initial cost" he may have been referring to the units themselves, as well as to the installation. Generally, tankless units do cost more than regular water heaters. The actual installation would be a bit more involved, too (although I've never installed one), because you'd likely need additional piping or electrical connections, depending on whether it would be a gas or electric unit. Cost is definitely a consideration. It's always easier just to swap out a tank.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
When we replaced the existing 50 gallon we had a "booster" installed on top of the new tank. You keep the temp turned up to max on the unit and the booster blends in cooler water when you dispense. It turns a 50 gallon water heater into an 80 gallon. Rheem makes the booster we added in case you want to read up about it. It was WAY cheaper than upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and I've seen no difference in our gas bills.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't think you need a permit, But I'm not a lawyer, home inspector, or anything else. And, I don't think it would cost 10X to get a plumber vs a Handyman.

The question is, will the handyman touch it? Some of that depends on your locale and your handyman. I know that around here, in theory, a Handyman is allowed to swap out your kitchen faucet, or replace the lifter setup in the toilet bowl, but not replace a toilet or break the wax seal on the toilet. Some will, I'm sure but they could get in trouble.

The job, in and of itself, is simple. Is there a shutoff on the gas line above the water heater?
Yeah there is a shutoff for gas, I have it at off now as well as the inlet water.

I can do basic car maintenance and build pc, but I have never done water heater before, it involves gas that kind of scares me. Watched few youtube videos and I am not sure if I can handle it. I think if I get the same size/ brand and fittings are all the same, it's just installation everything and is very simple right? but I might get 40 or 50 gallon and it would need longer pipes and whatnot. Also if I get it from lowes or HD, I don't have a truck to get it home since it's so big. I think I will just get some plumber to do it.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
When we replaced the existing 50 gallon we had a "booster" installed on top of the new tank. You keep the temp turned up to max on the unit and the booster blends in cooler water when you dispense. It turns a 50 gallon water heater into an 80 gallon. Rheem makes the booster we added in case you want to read up about it. It was WAY cheaper than upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and I've seen no difference in our gas bills.
awesome, is this only available for rheem or other brands can do it too.

So later if I sell the house I can just do the booster for the new buyer, or they can just do it themselves instead of getting a brand new one.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
awesome, is this only available for rheem or other brands can do it too.

So later if I sell the house I can just do the booster for the new buyer, or they can just do it themselves instead of getting a brand new one.

There are other brands. The add on was about $250. Way cheaper than the difference between 50 and 75 gallon.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'm surprised a 5.5 bath house only has 1 HWH. Usually you'll see 2. Some of those baths have to be a long distance from the heater.

Normally around here a 3 bath house gets 2 HWH's.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
When we had a 4400 square ft, 5 bd 3full and 2 half baths we had 2 40 gallon water heaters. We now have house with 3 1/2 baths and 1 40 gallon heater. It is fine for 2 people. There has never been a hot water issue when the house is full of kids and grandkids.

Some days i think we pay more for water going down the drain waiting for the hot. It would be cheaper to add another point source electric heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate