Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a lowest guess as to just making it relivable after yrs of previous smoker?

I don't want to have it cleaned but rather -- redone & maybe gutted to studs, if need be, to eliminate all smoke & toxins, etc. from yrs of abuse.

Ok, I'm thinking min of 20-30K could do a tiny home -- &, yes, be bland -- but ok for empty nesters to retire into, yes? Even remotely close? Too high or low?

Thx all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
impossible to say without knowing where you are and what the square footage and layout of the house is. And whether by pulling permits, anything had to upgraded for code.

In my market, I'd SWAG $50/sqft to be conservative for simply gutting the sheetrock and flooring and then redoing it, plus modest kitchen and 1 bath. Presumably you'd be doing all new ductwork too.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:11 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Anyone have a lowest guess as to just making it relivable after yrs of previous smoker?

I don't want to have it cleaned but rather -- redone & maybe gutted to studs, if need be, to eliminate all smoke & toxins, etc. from yrs of abuse.

Ok, I'm thinking min of 20-30K could do a tiny home -- &, yes, be bland -- but ok for empty nesters to retire into, yes? Even remotely close? Too high or low?

Thx all.
Is this for yourself or a flip?

Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Is this for yourself or a flip?
Just a guess but I think a flip would clean and seal the walls rather than rip them out. Probably what I would do too for my own house too, unless other changes were wanted.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Just a guess but I think a flip would clean and seal the walls rather than rip them out. Probably what I would do too for my own house too, unless other changes were wanted.
I agree, but some people might believe that gutting the walls would be necessary to re-sell it successfully.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
I agree, but some people might believe that gutting the walls would be necessary to re-sell it successfully.
Why? Do you mean that they think it will still smell bad?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
I don't think it will be necessary to gut a house to eliminate smoker smells. I own a small house that had 20 years of chain smoking in it. You would not believe how brown everything was. Pee-yoou!

I had the whole house professionally painted and then professionally cleaned. New flooring in the kitchen and bathroom; the rest of the house is hardwood flooring and I did not have anything done to that other than a good coat of wax.

All the light fixtures were either replaced or washed (amber glass fixtures were revealed to be white when they were washed).

At the end, there was NO tobacco smoke smell, and believe you me I am a person who can detect it.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Why? Do you mean that they think it will still smell bad?
Sure. Smoke can penetrate the walls. However, the odor can be "sealed" off with a coat or two of KILZ on the walls before painting a final coat or two. The flooring can have the odor removed by either replacing it (for vinyl) or by refinishing (for wood). My late sister's house in PA absolutely stunk from her husband's smoking for over 20 years as well as accumulated dog odors (pee and poop). The people who bought it did the KILZ and wood floor refinishing and you would never have known that a smoker or pets lived there.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:16 PM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Quote:
Sure. Smoke can penetrate the walls. However, the odor can be "sealed" off with a coat or two of KILZ on the walls before painting a final coat or two. The flooring can have the odor removed by either replacing it (for vinyl) or by refinishing (for wood). My late sister's house in PA absolutely stunk from her husband's smoking for over 20 years as well as accumulated dog odors (pee and poop). The people who bought it did the KILZ and wood floor refinishing and you would never have known that a smoker or pets lived there.
Zinnsser is significantly better than Kilz for this just FYI.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't think it will be necessary to gut a house to eliminate smoker smells. I own a small house that had 20 years of chain smoking in it. You would not believe how brown everything was. Pee-yoou!
And just imagine what their lungs looked like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate