Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times

Advertisements

I don't use a dining room. It seems like it just collects dust. lol If I have a small area in the kitchen for a small table and chairs, it works for me. Even a bar in the kitchen where I can put stools will work. When company is over, we seem to congregate in the living room. It would give me more space for a 3rd bedroom as opposed to 2 bedrooms and a dining room. How would this affect resale? Nothing is ever permanent so I need to keep this in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
I don't host enough formal din-dins to matter, so probably, if resale value is not considered.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,919,768 times
Seems like you may be asking should you put doors up at the opening in your living room. To have doors on what would then be your new bedroom.

Because otherwise the difference between a bedroom and a living room seems to me to be just furniture.

Whenever it comes time for you to sell, you can decide how to move furniture back around so it is more attractive to the eye of the buyer at that time in your area.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
I have a dinning room but to me that is a waist because who gives formal dinners anymore ? certainly not anyone I know either , I would certainly do an extra bedroom because that could be converted to an office or a craft room (sewing area ) .

Last edited by phonelady61; 03-13-2018 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
Sure, you could convert the dining room into an extra, semi-permenant bedroom. If you ever decide to sell it just stage it as a dining room again.

In our state there’s an odd real estate law that says a room can’t considered a bedroom unless it has a closet. Technically then, our historic home has none. It’s kind of a goofy law because many older homes weren’t built with closets.

If you need a guest room, furnish it and put in some doors. Personally, I’d rather use a space like that as a studio/home office with space for a daybed or sleeper sofa, but that’s just me.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
Make sure you have a window in it with egress to get out in case of a fire so the person sleeping can get out or you will may be held responsible if anyone dies.

If I needed an extra bedroom and the layout allowed it yes. My aunts house had a dining room where one side was a door next to the kitchen and the other side was a open area into the living room. You put in a door to the kitchen to close it off and create a door to the living room there. So if it's a side room you can do it.

At my father's house it would be impossible because you have to walk thru the dining room to go from the living room to the kitchen and the doors to the basement and second floor are in the dining room, but oddly enough the dining room has a closet.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM

717 posts, read 559,114 times
I don't think a dining room is a good spot for a bedroom. It's usually in the middle of the house between the living room and kitchen where it's most noisy. It would also lack a door and a closet.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
If you need an extra bedroom, sure.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,390,438 times
used ours as a guest-bedroom; worked great! Just temporarily installed a set of bi-fold doors into larger opening, and threw a rug down. Already had window. Took chandelier down and put up ceiling-fan. Nice for guests, as was away from rest of bedrooms, etc.
Reverted it back (easy) when we sold; could never tell.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Not enough context. In a 3 bed ranch or split level? Sure. In a larger home? Maybe not so much.

One of my "college houses" had a dining room that was used as a bedroom.

Growing up our "formal dining room" was used as such on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Birthdays.

Other times of the year we (kids) used it for homework. It was right off the kitchen and near everything if you needed help, but could still be shut off and quiet. My dad and mom used it for taxes and similar paperwork, even though they both had respective desks.

As my parents have discussed various options such as downsizing, etc, and the inevitable "what if someone becomes confined to a wheelchair/hospital bed" situation, repurposing it has been discussed, though I think it more likely that Dad just adds on a first floor master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate