Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
So no renter occupied homes can ever get a permit for roofing in this county? That makes no sense. There must be another explanation.
I believe the rule is that owners can do their own work if they live in the house; otherwise city approved contractors must do permitted work. It is intended to discourage shoddy work that could be acceptable to landlords with a slumlord mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Okay, I found this...

https://www.ppines.com/DocumentCenter/View/67

apparently it must be done by a licensed contractor or the owner must directly do the work or be onsite supervising for this exemption.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yeah, I don't get that either. My fiancé and I are still living at his rented house while we work on the home we bought, but we've had no issues getting permits just because we aren't living there yet.
The OP said this was an apartment. The IBC does not require permits for re-roofing a single or duplex home, apartment and commercial roofs require a permit.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The OP said this was an apartment. The IBC does not require permits for re-roofing a single or duplex home, apartment and commercial roofs require a permit.
Read the first post he said it's a house. How would you reroof an apartment anyway, you would reroof the building.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't see why you can't fix your own roof without a permit. You won't be able to get a permit with the county showing it was fixed but you will save your house. If you are in Cape Coral it might be worse than other areas. I heard that city runs itself like an HOA. I would think other more expensive parts of Lee may be a problem too.

You can evict the person. Give them 30 days notice and tell them they have to be out.

You don't have to live in the home to get a roofing permit. A lot of people own rental properties and don't live in them, how else could they ever fix their roof. Someone gave you the wrong info. If you called the city or town call again and get the right answer.
One of my relatives had their septic system done without a permit after a year of not being able to use their back yard. They had a friend of a friend do it for $5,000, while to do it to code was going to be between $10,000-$15,000. So far no problems, it's been about 5 years. They are planning to stay there forever, and next time it needs replacing both will be done with school and should have better ability to afford it done to code then.

I know there are problems with that approach, but it was that or live with a cesspool in the back yard.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Seems like the thing to do is to get off the roofing and to get on the eviction.

They're not paying rent. They're presenting you with a hardship. What does your area need to evict?

And do you have any paperwork between you and your....what....guests, squatters?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Better to ask forgiveness than beg permission.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Is this the place to post about a weird and rare situation? The story evolves around roofing damage and a free tenant that was supposed to re-roof in exchange for free rent. But we could not get the required permit.

I don't feel that we have the grounds to evict so they can coast rent free for several months. I can't get a permit without living there. I can't live there because the house has rent free tenants.
Just raise the rent. Landlords do it all the time.

I can't imagine the labor for roofing is worth "several months" of free rent. I can see three months rent, four at most.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
You can do the work yourself without a permit. You wouldn't have to physically be on the roof nailing down roofing but you would need to be onsite supervising and perhaps doing some of the ground work like picking up debris and what not. This exact situation has came up time and time again in courts and every instance I have seen, the homeowner won. You can do work to your property yourself without permits as long as you are not hiring it out to unlicensed contractors.

Start doing the work. I would start on Friday and work all weekend. If they show up and ask for a permit on Monday, tell them you do not need one because you are doing the work yourself. If they try to hassle you, ask them to leave your property or they will be trespassing. This can turn into a bit of a pissing contest if it went this far but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. You said the job can be done in a few days so by the time they were to become aware and were to get over there, you would be done anyway.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Back now and have some new and improved ideas to work with.

Lee County has the toughest roofing regulations in the nation. I tried to get a permit and was denied. Their code enforcers have very unfortunate reputations and I have lost my interest in retiring down there with Lee County playing a principal role in that shift. While I do often live down there, I have never felt the need to be able to prove it.

The roof is well over 2000 square feet. It is not a repair, it is a reroof. Yes....it could theoretically be finished in four days. But we all know that things always take longer than anticipated. I'll be 60 pretty soon and don't jump around like I used to.

My utterly brilliant property manager drew up the paperwork that offered free rent for 8 months! I specified 6 but she always seems to go to work for the client. This afternoon she was informed that I wish to sell my couple rentals and get out of that county. She thinks she has excellent judgment, I have found it to be catastrophic. For example, she has gained so much weight that she can't get off the floor without help. Ladder work is out of the question. Without a contractor network, there ceases to be many reasons to work with almost disabled amateurs.

Gathering bids this week. Bids are very high partly because this is hurricane country, mostly because Lee County has the toughest roofing regulations in the nation. Plus the inspectors have reputations similar to Guido the Mafioso hitman.

Don't want to say too much at once. I'll stay on top of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate