Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,998 times

Advertisements

I bought a lot a few months ago and recently had to go to City Hall. While I was there, they informed me that the city taxes were a few years behind. When I bought the property I did not have my own realtor and went through the seller's realtor. She told me that I could have a title search done so I went ahead and paid the extra money for it. At closing I had asked her if the taxes were up to date and she said yes. It is also stated in my paperwork that the taxes were paid in full and up to date. When I texted the realtor after closing and told her she stated again that the taxes were up to date. If I paid for the title search and was given false information for whatever reason, who would be responsible and any ideas of what I should do? I've already paid for the past due taxes. Any advice would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 05:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I'd start with a call to the title company. I assume you also purchased title insurance?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
If everything from the agent was verbal you would have a difficult time going after her for lack of proof. If you have a document that taxes were paid and seller signed it you could go after the seller. You should be able to go back after it from the seller anyway. If the title company closed it without collecting taxes you may be able to go back after them as well. Title insurance could kick in if it escalates.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,998 times
Yes I purchased title insurance. It is in the signed paperwork that the taxes were paid up to date. My initial thought was to call the title company but I wasn't sure if they would be helpful because it seems as though it was their mistake. I could try to go after the seller but have a feeling that would be a waste of time because they are unemployed and don't strike me as people who pay their debts and that's putting it very kindly

Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
IMHO, if the title agency neglected to determine that there were back taxes, they should have insurance to protect you. and should be held responsible to pay them. Let us know how this is resolved.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Since we don't use just title companies, in my market, it's hard for me or anyone in a similar market to give you a good answer.

However, I cannot imagine where the authority who closes the purchase transaction doesn't have responsibility to determine what is required for you to have good title (ie, no liens, and taxes are a lien) to the property. And through that process, they have title insurance companies that back them up, to say effectively "yep, this property is all good to go. We';; cover any title/liens claims against the Buyer".

Old 05-08-2018, 09:21 PM

94 posts, read 84,714 times
If title company missed taxes, the title policy YOU paid for will cover the taxes. I hope you’re not confusing the title work paid for by seller. That does not cover YOU.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Once again... we see an example of a buyer who needed an attorney.
And at the outset of the transaction.

OP: Spend the money you should have before and maybe they'll
be able to get you out of the hold you're in to have the seller
or their agent pay those back taxes out of the sale proceeds.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Once again... we see an example of a buyer who needed an attorney.
And at the outset of the transaction.

OP: Spend the money you should have before and maybe they'll
be able to get you out of the hold you're in to have the seller
or their agent pay those back taxes out of the sale proceeds.
If OP is in a title company state there is no need for an attorney. An attorney in a Texas transaction screws up the transaction more often than not.

Title companies exist to clear up issues like this. If he has an owners policy, and the taxes were not paid when they said they were - no big deal - send a certified letter to the tile company, and its their problem. They will deal with issues like this expeditiously.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
If OP is in a title company state ...
Yeah... we've all gone around on that idea before.
I'm sticking.

Quote:
...there is no need for an attorney.
EVERY buyer needs an attorney.

Quote:
Title companies exist to clear up issues like this.
Attorneys exist to avoid having them in the first place.
See the difference?

I guarantee you that even one of your incompetent TX attorneys
would have looked over the sales contract and pointed out the tax lien question.

It all makes me what other encumbrances and problems the OP hasn't learned about yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate