Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 AM

892 posts, read 1,501,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The OP hasn't posted to this thread in two days.

To me, that says his question has been answered and he has moved onto other topics.
You've been here almost 7 years, and still haven't figured out this is par for the course on C-D? Along with many, many pages of pretty much everyone giving the same exact answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,978 times
Would not matter to me.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,208,238 times
I agree with others that it’s best to depersonalize a home for viewing and family photos Need to be boxed, no matter if you are gay or not.

I once viewed a home that was filled with the most gorgeous delft tiles and ornaments but it was so distracting I couldn’t see the house. when I learned the many of the tiles around the kitchen and fireplace would be removed it was a killer for any consideration.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
You point out one of the big problems with having lots of photos on a wall. I think someone else pointed this out, but it bears repeating: a buyer won't care what's in your photos, but if he sees a lot of photos on a wall he'll see it as a wall riddled with nail holes and reject your house for that reason. Better to take the photos down, repair the holes, and paint the wall.
Wow, those buyers must have a lot of options. Around here on Long Island, there are bidding wars for houses even $500k+ because of the school districts. Something comes available, there are offers right away. I don't think they care about the nail holes or all the personal pics. As long as it doesn't look like a hoarder house untouched from the 50s, it's going to get sold.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:11 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Screw PC. I'm not here to be coddled. Please be honest.

We are a married gay couple. Will be selling house in a few months. Should we take down our pictures or leave them up for staging?

Again, please be honest.
When we sold our home, we had a dog. We put all but a few of his toys and things in a tote and when the house was going to be shown, I picked up all the remaining dog related toys, bowls, bed and put them in the trunk of my car and drove myself and the dog around until the people left.

My reasoning applies to you. IF there was even the remotest possibility that someone would object to buying a home a dog lived in (insert gay couple), I wanted to remove all evidence so as not to give a potential buyer a reason to decided against our home.

Just by virtue of your asking this, I would remove them. You never know who will come in and look at your home and you want it to appeal to the broadest audience.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:48 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
We were selling our house and commercial barn at the height of the real estate crash. We got a target buyer right away, but alas the financing wasn’t there. It took 3 years. Buy the time it sold we were beyond caring about family photos or decor. All of the tactics had been tried until someone who needed the setup we had came along. I doubt she cared about anything, except we had the basic setup she was looking for.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,699,164 times
Take them down. Perspective buyers don't need to know anything about you our your family. Has nothing to do with your sexuality. It's got everything to do with personal safety.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,120,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Wow, those buyers must have a lot of options. Around here on Long Island, there are bidding wars for houses even $500k+ because of the school districts. Something comes available, there are offers right away. I don't think they care about the nail holes or all the personal pics. As long as it doesn't look like a hoarder house untouched from the 50s, it's going to get sold.

Must be nice. No bidding wars where I live, unfortunately. We're just hoping our house doesn't take months and months to sell.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,925,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ok, take down the pictures. But what about our clothes in the closet?
I would probably never notice!

Old 08-18-2018, 08:19 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
When we sold our home, we had a dog. We put all but a few of his toys and things in a tote and when the house was going to be shown, I picked up all the remaining dog related toys, bowls, bed and put them in the trunk of my car and drove myself and the dog around until the people left.

My reasoning applies to you. IF there was even the remotest possibility that someone would object to buying a home a dog lived in (insert gay couple), I wanted to remove all evidence so as not to give a potential buyer a reason to decided against our home.

Just by virtue of your asking this, I would remove them. You never know who will come in and look at your home and you want it to appeal to the broadest audience.
LOL we got 3 dogs. When it's time, our parents will be taking them in for as long as it takes to sell house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate