Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 07:44 PM

122 posts, read 261,076 times

Advertisements

We sold our home. We had planned on moving out of state. With low inventory we were struggling with what we should buy. When I went to my last doctor appointment before moving, a nodule was discovered and biopsied as it was abnormal so I'm waiting on results. We do not want to move out of state since there would be a gap in insurance for 60 days between jobs plus the shock of finding this when we are moving is so stressful.

The person who bought our home was going to rent it out. We ask if we could rent it after the sale closed. They said yes and sent us a formal lease agreement that would start the day we were to vacate. It is a standard lease, deposit, terms, and would go through the end of the school year (I have 2 kids in high school so even if my health improved quicker I wanted to make sure my kids year would not be spilt).

So how do I handle damage or the starting condition of the home? I have lived in the home over 10 years. The purchase agreement asked us to do a few small fixes, which we did and were already approved. Of course there are a few stains on the rugs, chipped paint here and there, pictures and TVs mounted on the walls so there are holes in the wall.

So basically one day next week I switch from being the owner to the tenant. I just want to know how to protect myself when we move out next year from anything being seen as damage that was already there today when I am selling the home.

So far I have taken pictures of all the minor damage I see, like I am taking pictures of the carpets, walls, nail holes, marks and writing them down as well.

My husband and I thought about just renting elsewhere and making a clean break, but rentals are tight in our city and Im very stressed and would rather just stay where I am comfortable and know I have a house with everything working great (right before we sold the home we put in all new appliances. new central air, new water heater, etc). So many landlords in our city do not maintain properties so right now while Im in and out of the hospital I have no worries Im coming home to a nice well maintained home.

I just do not want to have any worries that in 9 months, my future landlord will hand me a huge repair bill for issues that are in the house when he purchased it , not by me the tenant.

I hope this makes sense. My home is not in bad condition. Just after raising a family for over a decade, and moving furniture I saw the little carpet stains or marks on the walls. I have not rent in over 15 years, which probably makes me more scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 07:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,832,489 times
Have the buyer come over and take condition pictures so they match your condition pictures.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Have the buyer come over and take condition pictures so they match your condition pictures.
The buyer does not live locally. Our city is very popular for second homes (it has nice weather, golf etc). Many people buy second homes and rent them until they retire. The buyer did visit on inspection day. The buyer has several rentals where they live so they have been a landlord before.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,832,489 times
Then ask if he's ok with your pictures for proof of condition, or you need to coordinate with his agent to come over and take pictures. If he doesn't feel the need to have his own proof, then he can't argue about your proof.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 PM

Thanks. We sold without an agent. I am going to video tape and take pictures and write room by room. Again it is nothing big, nail holes, a few stains. My neighbor is a real estate lawyer and notary so I can have him notarize the list of "move in" damage.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,557,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
Thanks. We sold without an agent. I am going to video tape and take pictures and write room by room. Again it is nothing big, nail holes, a few stains. My neighbor is a real estate lawyer and notary so I can have him notarize the list of "move in" damage.
Better yet, have the neighbor/lawyer do a walk thru inspection with you and sign as a physical witness to the condition of the home at the start of your lease. If he/she won't, then find another 3rd party to do it with you.

Use a tenant move in checklist form to record each room's current condition at the start of your lease, along with your photos. You can find various versions in pdf format on the Internet. And be sure to have your new landlord sign off on the form as well.

Last but not least, most states have legislation regarding tenant - landlord relationships, so as a newbie tenant I would do a search and read up on your legal rights and responsibilities as a tenant. That way you'll have no surprises later on.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
We sold our home. We had planned on moving out of state. With low inventory we were struggling with what we should buy. When I went to my last doctor appointment before moving, a nodule was discovered and biopsied as it was abnormal so I'm waiting on results. We do not want to move out of state since there would be a gap in insurance for 60 days between jobs plus the shock of finding this when we are moving is so stressful.

The person who bought our home was going to rent it out. We ask if we could rent it after the sale closed. They said yes and sent us a formal lease agreement that would start the day we were to vacate. It is a standard lease, deposit, terms, and would go through the end of the school year (I have 2 kids in high school so even if my health improved quicker I wanted to make sure my kids year would not be spilt).

So how do I handle damage or the starting condition of the home? I have lived in the home over 10 years. The purchase agreement asked us to do a few small fixes, which we did and were already approved. Of course there are a few stains on the rugs, chipped paint here and there, pictures and TVs mounted on the walls so there are holes in the wall.

So basically one day next week I switch from being the owner to the tenant. I just want to know how to protect myself when we move out next year from anything being seen as damage that was already there today when I am selling the home.

So far I have taken pictures of all the minor damage I see, like I am taking pictures of the carpets, walls, nail holes, marks and writing them down as well.

My husband and I thought about just renting elsewhere and making a clean break, but rentals are tight in our city and Im very stressed and would rather just stay where I am comfortable and know I have a house with everything working great (right before we sold the home we put in all new appliances. new central air, new water heater, etc). So many landlords in our city do not maintain properties so right now while Im in and out of the hospital I have no worries Im coming home to a nice well maintained home.

I just do not want to have any worries that in 9 months, my future landlord will hand me a huge repair bill for issues that are in the house when he purchased it , not by me the tenant.

I hope this makes sense. My home is not in bad condition. Just after raising a family for over a decade, and moving furniture I saw the little carpet stains or marks on the walls. I have not rent in over 15 years, which probably makes me more scared.
Treat the property as if you were a first time renter. Anyone renting that place would/should be doing the same thing renters should when they first move in a property. So pics of all the existing damage, holes , stains etc.. Treat the rental as if you were renting any other house from any other landlord. It’s their house with their existing damage. I would get pics of everything every wall, floor inside outside. Time stamp. Have your neighbor be a witness to the move in condition of the property.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
The irony of the situation is that you probably did the best you could to minimize or downplay as much damage as possible when selling the property.

Now, you need to point-out and emphasize as much existing damage as possible, to ensure you are not held responsible for it later.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:48 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,751,052 times
Also, make sure you get a Renters insurance policy to cover your personal belongings! It amazes me the number of people who think their stuff is cover under their landlords insurance, it is not!

Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Treat the property as if you were a first time renter. Anyone renting that place would/should be doing the same thing renters should when they first move in a property. So pics of all the existing damage, holes , stains etc.. Treat the rental as if you were renting any other house from any other landlord. It’s their house with their existing damage. I would get pics of everything every wall, floor inside outside. Time stamp. Have your neighbor be a witness to the move in condition of the property.
^^^This. We rented back twice after selling two homes with no issue. No need to leave and move all your stuff. It was actually very convenient and much easier than having to move multiple times. Just treat it like a new rental. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate