Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,396,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post

Since my bathroom is so small, I have my cat's litterbox in the kitchen, which I would prefer not to have there.

EEEWWWWW!!

You really ought to re-think that. Kitchen is for food; poop belongs in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:14 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,421,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
EEEWWWWW!!

You really ought to re-think that. Kitchen is for food; poop belongs in the bathroom.
Well, the litterbox is on the floor and my food is not!

But yes, I would prefer to NOT have it there, but there's not a lot of room around here!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I designed the room to fit the kitchen table. I can seat 8 people there with the leaves pulled out. The hanging light can be easily moved to center on the table deployed against the wall, out for 4 people, or fully deployed for 6 to 8 people.

The kitchen was a bit of a challenge. To make everything fit, I had to recess the countertop depth refrigerator, dishwasher, and lower cabinet box into the wall and the countertop above it is 20" instead of 24".
I've done the wall recess trick and a few inches can make a world of difference...

Great job on you remodel!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM

880 posts, read 534,610 times
I downsized from 3500 sq ft to 900 sq ft after my divorce. I have two kids and the space was a perfect fit, then i decided to bring my treadmill out of storage and felt like we are bursting at the seams. We just added a puppy and the house is officially full. Now i wont even buy the large package of toilet paper due to the lack of storage space.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are selling our 103 acre farm with a 2600 sf house.

We are in our mid 60's and just don't want (or can't do) all the work anymore. I'm also getting tired of cleaning a large house, and all the furnishings in a large house. There's got to be a life other than working to maintain a large home.

So when we sell I was thinking of buying something under 1000sf. Thinking anywhere in the 800- 900sf range, tho idea is "not carved in stone."

We are already slowly cleaning out barns and rooms getting rid of or selling lots of stuff. I currently- as I write this- have a truck and trailer packed and heading to an auction in 2 weeks. Will pack up our SUV also next weekend for our first load (of approx. 3-4) we'll make next week alone. Already did 3 loads of stuff to a different auction (most of our horse tack and supplies) 2 weeks ago.

Questions:

Does anyone live in a very small house?
How do you like it?
Did you go from a large home to a tiny home?
How small is your home?
What are the pros and cons?
Are you happy you did it, or do you want to go back to something larger?
What would you do differently or change?

All info would be welcome. Thanks.
I wouldn't get a "tiny house". Some of the tiny-house websites have options for larger homes that are still on a small scale, but offer several rooms. Some even have a 2nd floor you can stand up in. The term "tiny house" usually refers to a home on wheels, small enough to be considered a trailer. I encourage you to really shop around on the internet, explore the whole topic of smaller homes, and see what you find.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,387,995 times
Quote:
Why do you think a 5 x 8.5 bathroom needs to feel spacious? Go in, do your business, leave.

I have a Kohler 3' x 5' cast iron shower base and Grohe shower valves on opposing walls. A shower big enough for two people is important to me. I used a wall hung sink because I have always hated fishing through a vanity on my hands & knees looking for things. I opted for a built-in cabinet in the bathroom wall to hold what would have normally gone in a vanity. The sink and wall hung toilet give the room a 5' x 5 1/2' rectangular floor that's really easy to clean and it's heated on a separate zone from the gas boiler so it's comfy. That and vaulting the ceiling over the shower with a skylight create the illusion of space. I'm 6'2". I hate feeling cramped and the original 3/4 bath was awful.

When push comes to shove, I need to feel good about living there. A premium bathroom is part of that puzzle. Works for me which is all that matters.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've done the wall recess trick and a few inches can make a world of difference...

Great job on you remodel!

I just wrote checks and had long discussions with my best friend who did the work about what I wanted to do. He told me to throw a match at it.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't get a "tiny house". Some of the tiny-house websites have options for larger homes that are still on a small scale, but offer several rooms. Some even have a 2nd floor you can stand up in. The term "tiny house" usually refers to a home on wheels, small enough to be considered a trailer. I encourage you to really shop around on the internet, explore the whole topic of smaller homes, and see what you find.

The OP was pretty clear that they were talking about a sub-1000 square foot house. I think everybody agrees that's a small house and not a tiny house. I own one and thought I'd share my experiences. Until you're trying to store something and bump into the constant lack of storage issue, my house doesn't feel small. In a perfect world, I'd have a circular staircase down to a fully conditioned basement for storage. I have a high water table and a crawl space. I deal with it.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
EEEWWWWW!!

My litter box is in the entryway of the front door I never use. I have oak hardwood floors everywhere but the bedrooms so it's easy to sweep cat litter off the floor.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 AM

34,151 posts, read 83,233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My litter box is in the entryway of the front door I never use.
I would hope not... but what is the cat using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate