Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:00 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,025 times

Advertisements

I just recently got my FL real estate license. Before that I worked in title and escrow for over a year working on some pretty complex transactions. So even though I never sold an official house yet as a realtor I already have over 20+ real estate transactions under my belt from open to closing from an escrow perspective.

I have a natural ability for sales and that's what motivated me to get my license. Conducting transaction after transaction and seeing some of the commissions these realtors were getting got me thinking why I am not collecting those commissions and just making my $20 an hour escrow pay instead, so I quit cuz I hated being in a office everyday anyways and now here I am with my new license.

The thing is I still don't see the value with most realtors so how the hell I am ever going to be successful trying to sell something I don't even see the value in? If there was no such thing as an MLS then it seems the whole realtor profession would collapse. Now I'm not trying to speak out of ignorance here because there is a lot I don't know, but even a team leader at one of the Keller Williams I visited said most realtors are overpaid administrative workers.

Also I wish they would make the state real estate license test much harder... The FL pass/fail rate for first time takers is 50%, which is too high IMO. The state should aim to make it around more a 10% pass rate. This would keep the profession from being over saturated.

I understand no license alone will bring business to a new agent, you have to go out and generate leads and create deals for yourself, so in the aspect I have a lot of respect for agents because sales isn't easy and I use to make thousands of cold calls every year for a different industry and having to go out and hunt is much harder then when warm leads are coming to you (think car sales people where majority of their business is coming to them).

I guess my main point of this whole thread is I wish they would make it considerably more difficult for people to get their real estate license. Also even with having my license and escrow back round I'm having hard time seeing the value of an agent. If you are a savvy business person even without a real estate back round then you can easily sell or buy a home flawlessly with just an attorney on the side and the title escrow company.

Also, IMO the MLS is BS. When the broker at my office was showing me how to do a market analysis, if there was ever a definition of confirmation bias it would be when an agent does a market analysis. Agent who are listing a property will "justify" their asking price and look at comparable properties that support their case and ignore ones that don't. Now maybe in cookie cutter communities there won't be as much grey area when it comes to the numbers but in neighborhoods that have a lot of variety it's amazing how a buyer and seller agent can cherry pick properties on the MLS in the same neighborhood to support their asking price and be so far apart on the same property for what it's worth. It's all fluff and confirmation bias. There is an information overload on the MLS which IMO dilutes the value of the information and makes agents seem smarter then they are when at the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

And appraisers, don't get me started. When I think of the last market crash I realize almost everyone in the real estate industry is full of some kind of shi*t and it all just comes down to showmanship.

I guess two quotes come to mind and they are I was giving this world I didn't make it and don't hate the player hate the game. lol

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 01-02-2019 at 04:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 AM

43,508 posts, read 77,510,654 times
You are right.
If you don't believe in what you are doing, you should do something else.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,138,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
The thing is I still don't see the value with most realtors so how the hell I am ever going to be successful trying to sell something I don't even see the value in?l

Gee, you'd think someone who supposedly spent 20 years in an industry, not to mention all the time it took to get your Realtor license, would have figured out the answer to this question by now. If you don't know the answer, why do you think we would?

Old 01-02-2019, 04:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Gee, you'd think someone who supposedly spent 20 years in an industry, not to mention all the time it took to get your Realtor license, would have figured out the answer to this question by now. If you don't know the answer, why do you think we would?
Not 20 years, spent over a year and did over 20 transactions from escrow perspective. I’m only 30 years old. So I’m trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:39 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,138,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Not 20 years, spent over a year and did over 20 transactions from escrow perspective. I’m only 30 years old. So I’m trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

My bad, it's way early in the morning here and clearly I need some coffee, LOL.

Even so, still think something's missing from this story. Why did you go to the bother of getting a license if you hadn't yet figured out this was something you believe in? I suppose you could claim you're a jaded person and you don't care about believing in what you sell; you're simply about making money. But that doesn't make sense either, because people who are like that don't go around bragging about it in the internet. That would be counter productive to your goal.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,293,084 times
Making the licensing process harder won't make the licensees more capable. It would only reduce the number of new licensees, not a bad thing, in my opinion. Maybe you can provide value to your clients by protecting them from those less capable agents. Use their shortcomings to earn your check.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,410,397 times
What's the whole point of Realtors?

Good question.

The main reason is that real estate transactions can get emotional. The Realtor is a buffer between the seller and the buyer. I've sold two houses using a Realtor and both times, the buyer was behaving irrationally toward the end. I was glad to have a Realtor approach them diplomatically.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My bad, it's way early in the morning here and clearly I need some coffee, LOL.

Even so, still think something's missing from this story. Why did you go to the bother of getting a license if you hadn't yet figured out this was something you believe in? I suppose you could claim you're a jaded person and you don't care about believing in what you sell; you're simply about making money. But that doesn't make sense either, because people who are like that don't go around bragging about it in the internet. That would be counter productive to your goal.
Well, really, brokerage is something one has to immerse in to really understand.
Licensing classes can give a bit of insight, but the training that comes after, and the interaction with other brokers are what really give one insights into the practice.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Making the licensing process harder won't make the licensees more capable. It would only reduce the number of new licensees, not a bad thing, in my opinion. Maybe you can provide value to your clients by protecting them from those less capable agents. Use their shortcomings to earn your check.

And the ability to pass a harder test will not keep good students with poor ethics out of the business.

I don't consider it a reasonable government goal or function to reduce the number of licensees.
To protect the consumer from some of the folks with licenses? Certainly.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:42 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,293,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And the ability to pass a harder test will not keep good students with poor ethics out of the business.

I don't consider it a reasonable government goal or function to reduce the number of licensees.
To protect the consumer from some of the folks with licenses? Certainly.
True, that. Also worth mentioning is that in Florida a prospective licensee doesn't study our contracts nor is tested on them. The real fun doesn't begin until a new licensee actually starts writing offers or fielding offers from the other miscreants. Having and using contract knowledge for their clients' benefit tends to separate some of the deserving from the undeserving.

I sometimes feel like the OP when I look at how poorly the agent on the other side of a deal is representing their client. There's a lot of incompetence in our profession [at least in my area] but there are also plenty of agents who bring value and earn their checks. That value might be hard to see when you don't know what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate