Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,579,525 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tate-1.4979049

Quote:
Because recording devices are becoming more and more popular, we advise salespeople and brokers to caution the homebuyers… that there may be a recording device in the home
,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 05:45 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,841,072 times
Honestly, I might be overly sensitive, but I've never made a negative comment in someone's house while viewing it.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:50 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,292,295 times
I dunno Canadian laws, but in the US, it's legal to audio record in your own home but not video and audio.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 PM

14,667 posts, read 12,316,970 times
I warned a few buyers about this, in their first couple of homes... And I found it had such a chilling effect on their whole looking experience that I quit doing it. It wrecked the whole mood and injected such level of paranoia and suspicion, it got in the way and I don't think the buyer was better for it. They would get in, rush through, and get out. No comments, no chit chat. Now, I may mention the possibility once, but I don't drill them on it. There's no good reason, really.

Some of my buyers may spend and hour just sitting around the house they want to buy. If sellers want to sit and listen to my buyers talk about how much they want to rip all the wallpaper down, repaint that awful color in the master and gut the kitchen, that's their choice. They're going to get the unfiltered truth from my clients, if they're up for it.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-16-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 06:20 PM

14,667 posts, read 12,316,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Honestly, I might be overly sensitive, but I've never made a negative comment in someone's house while viewing it.

Only time I've ever really worried about hidden cameras was a completely 'overdone' home with red velvet and gold drapes where our clients walked in and said "my Gawd, this looks like a whorehouse!" I glanced around the room for a camera and would have gestured apologetically if I found one... what can we do?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,993,027 times
omnipresent recording/surveillance is a given.
choose wisely, grasshopper.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,841,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Only time I've ever really worried about hidden cameras was a completely 'overdone' home with red velvet and gold drapes where our clients walked in and said "my Gawd, this looks like a whorehouse!" I glanced around the room for a camera and would have gestured apologetically if I found one... what can we do?
Ha ha ha ha! Cringe worthy, for sure.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
If you're going to record everyone who walks into your house, you have to be willing to take whatever it is they say.

As for sellers using information to their benefit, buyers just have to stand firm if they're getting taken for a ride.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM

375 posts, read 612,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I dunno Canadian laws, but in the US, it's legal to audio record in your own home but not video and audio.
That's nonsense! Of course you can record video and audio in your own home. Have you ever recorded your child's birthday party?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,834,084 times
Two can play...

A business man was negotiating for a new fleet of trucks... his nephew had worked at the large truck dealer and told him they had hidden microphones in the dealership... at least when he worked there.

So when they were negotiating and the Fleet Sales said they couldn't go lower but would go to the mat for them with the boss...

My friend and his employee put on a dog and pony show in the office intending for it to be monitored...

He simply said this is a waste of time... it is obvious the dealer does not want their business and he was leaving... friend said at least wait till the Fleet guy comes back... and so the banter went with my friend saying anything but a yes means we get up and walk out without looking back...

Guess what... the Fleet guy came back after saying the deal could not be made with a YES...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate