Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

I would remind folk of the actual realities of these kinds of recording systems.

In Hollywood films, they usually have to re-record all the dialogue in a sound studio, because even with the best equipment money can buy and the best film and sound engineers trying to capture the action, the audio is muffled and inaudible in the actual recording of the scene.

With security surveillance footage I've seen, the video is blurry and the audio is barely audible even if you keep backing it up and trying to hear it again. If you had a long and detailed discussion about your whole house buying strategy in the house, unless you did that while sitting around speaking directly into the microphone that is hidden in a plant in the corner of the living room, at most they got poor quality snippets, as you moved through the house.

I say.... let them knock themselves out trying to get anything valuable from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Honestly, I might be overly sensitive, but I've never made a negative comment in someone's house while viewing it.
Or if you do, the home owner needs to hear it!

This house has a strange smell, or the floors will have to be replaced immediately, or we'll have to take out all the wall paper, or the landscaping will need a lot of work, etc.

They would want to know that.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
IMHO the only talking that really matters is that which is placed on paper.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Two can play...

A business man was negotiating for a new fleet of trucks... his nephew had worked at the large truck dealer and told him they had hidden microphones in the dealership... at least when he worked there.

So when they were negotiating and the Fleet Sales said they couldn't go lower but would go to the mat for them with the boss...

My friend and his employee put on a dog and pony show in the office intending for it to be monitored...

He simply said this is a waste of time... it is obvious the dealer does not want their business and he was leaving... friend said at least wait till the Fleet guy comes back... and so the banter went with my friend saying anything but a yes means we get up and walk out without looking back...

Guess what... the Fleet guy came back after saying the deal could not be made with a YES...
I'm confused....wait, now I have it. Your last sentence was confusing because it sounded like the fleet guy "said the deal could not be made with a yes". Maybe some commas would have helped. "The fleet guy came back, after saying the deal could not be made, with a YES."

Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
It happens. The Boston Globe reported on that last May: Sellers using home-tech devices to spy on buyers at showings

Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA), 18 U.S.C. § 2510-22.
Background. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act and the Stored Wire Electronic Communications Act are commonly referred together as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986. The ECPA updated the Federal Wiretap Act of 1968, which addressed interception of conversations using "hard" telephone lines, but did not apply to interception of computer and other digital and electronic communications. Several subsequent pieces of legislation, including The USA PATRIOT Act, clarify and update the ECPA to keep pace with the evolution of new communications technologies and methods, including easing restrictions on law enforcement access to stored communications in some cases.

General Provisions. The ECPA, as amended, protects wire, oral, and electronic communications while those communications are being made, are in transit, and when they are stored on computers. The Act applies to email, telephone conversations, and data stored electronically."

Casual conversation in a private home are not within any of the categories to which the ECPA applies.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would remind folk of the actual realities of these kinds of recording systems.

In Hollywood films, they usually have to re-record all the dialogue in a sound studio, because even with the best equipment money can buy and the best film and sound engineers trying to capture the action, the audio is muffled and inaudible in the actual recording of the scene.

With security surveillance footage I've seen, the video is blurry and the audio is barely audible even if you keep backing it up and trying to hear it again. If you had a long and detailed discussion about your whole house buying strategy in the house, unless you did that while sitting around speaking directly into the microphone that is hidden in a plant in the corner of the living room, at most they got poor quality snippets, as you moved through the house.

I say.... let them knock themselves out trying to get anything valuable from that.
No, modern camera systems are very, very good. I have 15 of them in my home, the audio and video are crystal clear. You are speaking about older systems.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
A lot of people just posted without reading the article.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
A lot of people just posted without reading the article.

Yup. I almost NEVER click on links to read articles in social media sites. I've had friends who got viruses that way. What I especially hate are people who post a link with a teaser sentence like "Read this!" but without bothering to describe what the article says. Kudos to the OP for giving us an idea, so at least we had an inkling of what to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate