Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times

Advertisements

Yes it's a viable option.
My venture with spouse was the historic fixer..turned into a boarding house. It came with some challenges with utility and access to certain areas of need. Laundry. Garage.
Follow the code laws and consult an attorney.
Federal.guidelines trump local codes on some boarders.
Ada compliant or service animals cannot be denied. As most land lords enjoy boasting.."we just dismiss that set of applicant". Our home our rules. So long as they do not verbally say it.. and you know..be evasive and underhanded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM

169 posts, read 160,343 times
Ugh I can’t stand renting out a bedroom to some stranger, it’s not worth it for a measly $300-400 your having a person you barely even know living with you in your house. Talk about awkward and dont forget they have to use a bathroom too and a shower...Which means they are using up your utilities, meaning extra water and electricity bills. I guess some people are okay with leasing some parts of there home to others, I personally would never do it

Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I have the right to deny anyone, I dont have a lease or a contract so thats different than standard renting rules/applications. I was reading up on this, I dont do regular filtering or actual applications so, what I gathered its no different than letting a friend rent with me, I can deny those qualified to those I prefer as its not a written or binding contract or lease in anyway.

Could be wrong, but she didn't even make it in my door and I didn't collect money there was no lease or obligatory signing at all. I have every right to tell her no for any reason I want at that point (even maybe I changed my mind, dont want a room mate)?, im just not going to rent it out at this moment yeah?

I am not a lawyer, just an honest hard working guy trying to live with good people. I cant imagine going to court and the story and everything including me having allergies to dogs getting her any right to any money from me. Too many people out there trying to screw them over ie. that girl with the pooch lying to get her benefiot/way. not today Felicia.

You seem pretty cocky and I hope it keeps working out for you but I could see a judge ruling that you are effectively running a business in a landlord/tenant relationship by virtue of charging rent. If your denied applicant is savvy, they might cause further problems by getting the IRS involved as I doubt you are reporting the income.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You seem pretty cocky and I hope it keeps working out for you but I could see a judge ruling that you are effectively running a business in a landlord/tenant relationship by virtue of charging rent. If your denied applicant is savvy, they might cause further problems by getting the IRS involved as I doubt you are reporting the income.
Ok theoretically, say the girl moved in. Do I have to allow her dog to use my back yard or facilities? or can I deny her access to my yard for her dog entirely. I want to know so in future if someone tries that again I can make it so they have no interest in my area by telling them things that will deter them legally. I have no issue with denying them any facilities for the dog, their dog will kill my grass or chase my free roaming cat. I could stay they have to leave the gate open and require the gate is open at all times ie. her dog can run away or make it miserable for her. My cat doesn't run away so I do not need a fence closed. Will take the guys above advice and never tell them its the dog for denial here on out.

The future tenants I just told them I will reach out if I feel they are a good fit, and I just never emailed or called them back, they got the hint. Found my 2 tenants and just ignored those who future contacted me blocking many. Once I found the 2 I wanted they moved in and I deleted the ad. I dont see how this is classified as discrimination as I get to pick whoever I want from the same sort of emails.? Just because someone contacted me first doesn't merit them moving in yeah? I only have 5 more years and house mortgage is paid off, so not too many years left of doing this.

I am all for learning ways to circumvent and protect myself from lawsuits of frivolous people so coach me.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:

I am all for learning ways to circumvent and protect myself from lawsuits of frivolous people so coach me.
Kinda late for that LOL.

If you're going to be a landlord, the first rule is to know the laws so you can protect yourself. There are so many scammers out there that your dream situation could turn into a nightmare real quick.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Ok theoretically, say the girl moved in. Do I have to allow her dog to use my back yard or facilities? or can I deny her access to my yard for her dog entirely. I want to know so in future if someone tries that again I can make it so they have no interest in my area by telling them things that will deter them legally.

I'm not trying to tell you what you can or cannot do. Or what you should or should not do. I'm basically saying the same thing as BirdieBelle that you need to be concerned enough to research it not just assume you are safe. I've seen on forums where even allowing a family member to stay with you for free might eventually establish tenant rights and protections for them. The law can sometimes run contrary to what most people with common sense would think.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:35 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
I had a similar idea myself, when I was in my twenties. I rented a large house and planned to sub-rent out two or three rooms to students or workers about my same age. I was thinking that they would be paying most of the rent. But in fact, it was so hard to get any reliable tenants, that over time, about 3/4 of the costs came out of my own pocket. And with a few exceptions, the renters were like a bunch of unruly children. They would put on a good pretense when applying, then show up with live-in boyfriends or girlfriends and maybe large dogs or cats, that they expected to be able to impose at no extra cost on everyone who lived there. Their parents hadn't raised them well and I had to deal with them. Never again.

If you're going to have housemates, better have them be personal friends you know well and trust. Then you'll know who you're getting, before they move in. And there aren't often friends who are looking for rooms to rent. The only friends who ever lived at that place of mine, were just there for the summer, while their regular apartment roommates were out of town.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:41 PM

169 posts, read 160,343 times
Quote:
Hes correct, the way my house is set, the downstairs is like a whole little house. he has his own bathroom, his own living room, his own bedroom. He even has a backdoor access to backyard that has his own little stairs (he doesn't use it) he works night shift, so its nice for him to have his own area to his own.

go upstairs and there's 3 large bedrooms, 1 is a office, 1 is mine, and across hall from me is other room mate, but he and I are very quiet and chat in passing but all 3 of us mind our business but if we happen to be eating same time we will sit at table and chat. but in general we are 3 college guys living our lives.

I cant say much, I just posted an ad on craigslist, had like 100 replies, I only replied to a few of them and met them and knew they was good people, one of them lives right down road from his moms, he wanted this area so he could stay close and help her showed good character and other guy he's just a gamer nerd. stays on pc in his room, not a bother to anyone.

I intentionally bought too much house for the idea of this, other homes was smaller and much cheaper, but I couldn't of had 2 room mates comfortably so would of spent more in long run. I personally dont even do a lease (I have good room mates both in college with intent to degree and move so not trying to lock people into rent) if they are leaving I just ask for the to tell me ahead of time, if they break something they just help me fix it. havnt had any issues.

One lady though, I met her and she seemed nice. I asked her if she has any pets (I have a cat) and she said no, I was like alright. we met, I liked her, told her to come out to house. She came with boxes to move in and stupid big ass service dog (she claims) I was like, not a chance. I closed door on her and told her to leave. she was like im going to sue you!! etc etc. I have all the correspondents between us claiming had no animals, no service animals etc. just a garbage person. I am not letting a dog eat my cat, and she told me he's fine being locked in a room all day. efff no. go away. (while I do have a massive fenced in back yard) she wasn't going to be using it for a dog. I have a little cat door, my cat comes and goes all day. but end of rant, nobeuno.

Be careful is all I have to say, she knew she was wrong, and I am allergic to dogs as well. I would of gotten it thrown out in court. just a trash non sincere person though tbh. I didn't take a single dollar from her, I think she would of had a case if she had paid me for a month of rent then maybe they could of let her stay 30 days to evict her, but nope. Didn't take a dollar from her.
Wow seriously? You sound like a 20 year old who thinks he can bully his tenants and just get away with it. Looks like your on your way to getting sued in the future. Courts usually side with tenants most of the time

Old 01-27-2019, 06:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Check the laws in any county/town/city you might purchase in. See if there is anything about non-family renters/short term renters/ etc. Sometimes there are laws that require an inspection for safety measures like fire extinguisher, egress and so on and sometimes just a small annual fee. Some short term rentals can be considered 6 months, some 30 days.

Sometimes you'll find an area that allows family like in an in-law suite such as even an entire basement...but not unrelated renters.

Then there are hoa rules. And some areas you may be interested in may be largely hoa so that can be another consideration. Some don't allow renters, some allow family members to rent, some have a requirement that the owner live in the house, some don't.

That may help you to fine tune a bit and cross off or continue to keep on your list.

Just rent the room out and don't worry about that crap. That's what I did. No problems.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
Wow seriously? You sound like a 20 year old who thinks he can bully his tenants and just get away with it. Looks like your on your way to getting sued in the future. Courts usually side with tenants most of the time

I sound like a normal guy not looking for douchebags telling me they have no dogs, no service animals and showing up with a horse and telling me they have more right to my house and its my resgnisiblity to keep my cat from their dog to accomodate. Get off your high horse. I have great room mates, just wanting great people.

Someone tries to fraud a legal system, I will make them want to leave. evict them the very first month there simply wont accept their month payment and give them 30 days. Not my problem they want to lug around a damn horse for a dog. Its people like this that are ruining America. Get off your high horse.

I will stick with word of mouth for good tenants, if you aren't a good tenant for this place, pass. no reason needed to be given. Room is suddenly unavailable for remodeling. ie. scape out. Just wanting good honest people, the people who make the cut have it great they save 50% over apartments and a super nice luxury house with everything included, no room for a dishonest person here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate