Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 750 times

Advertisements

My family, and I are supposed to be closing this Thursday on a new construction house. We just received word from the builder's rep that this may have to get pushed back, since they do not have the gas meter installed outside, and they could not get it in this week (yesterday, and today) due to snow/rain. My thought is that they knew about the settlement date since 1/9 when we signed the addendum to the sales agreement, so why are they waiting last minute for this. We have numerous things planned to the house (i.e. movers we hired, things being delivered, garage door opener installed, Fios installation). We signed an addendum to the sales agreement stating that Settlement would be held on or before 2/14/19. Is the builder liable for this? What options do we have if they really do want to push settlement back? Can we get some kind of compensation for our troubles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
What sort of builder? Tract? Not a chance--"have your lawyer call our lawyer" and you will still be playing games a year from now.

Custom? Maybe a little bit better chance, but do you really want to play games, or do you want to get into your house?

First house, I suspect?

You just can't plan on moving or expect to be in a new house anytime within a month or so of when they tell you it will be complete. More if the "drop dead" date they give you was given six months ago.

Options? Meet with the builder and arrange a new date. Getting ugly about it will only make it worse. You think the judge is going to side with you when the builder said I couldn't work outside because of the snow? Good luck with that.

Frustrating? Sure. But you have NO options. You want the house completed? Play the game. Otherwise it can turn ugly--for you--and weigh on you and make the whole experience horrible.

Sorry. Part of life.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrozdz View Post
...My thought is that they knew about the settlement date since 1/9 when we signed the addendum to the sales agreement, so why are they waiting last minute for this. ...We signed an addendum to the sales agreement stating that Settlement would be held on or before 2/14/19. Is the builder liable for this? What options do we have if they really do want to push settlement back? Can we get some kind of compensation for our troubles?
I would imagine that your recourse is spelled out pretty clearly in your original purchase contract, or your Amendment.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM

478 posts, read 418,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrozdz View Post
My family, and I are supposed to be closing this Thursday on a new construction house. We just received word from the builder's rep that this may have to get pushed back, since they do not have the gas meter installed outside, and they could not get it in this week (yesterday, and today) due to snow/rain. My thought is that they knew about the settlement date since 1/9 when we signed the addendum to the sales agreement, so why are they waiting last minute for this. We have numerous things planned to the house (i.e. movers we hired, things being delivered, garage door opener installed, Fios installation). We signed an addendum to the sales agreement stating that Settlement would be held on or before 2/14/19. Is the builder liable for this? What options do we have if they really do want to push settlement back? Can we get some kind of compensation for our troubles?
Work it up the chain. I’ve had a lot of luck getting builders to cover stuff that was high margin for them (landscape, etc) that they didn’t have to cut a check for.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Happens all the time and NO there is no recourse. Builders can't control things like the weather, shortages and contractors who don't show up.

Also many are just plain incompetent. But there is probably something in your contract that basically says "Tough Luck".

Sad part is when your loan rate lock is due to expire and rates are going up. Ouch !

Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Honestly, as someone who has done a new build before, that's on you. I'd never set dates for movers, cable, etc until I've closed on the house with keys in hand.

If the builders were just being lazy and incompetent and just tried to mess you up on purpose because they could, that's one thing. But you always want to build a buffer around things you can't control like weather. ESPECIALLY during the winter months when a blizzard can happen at any given day if you live in a colder climate area. You have to anticipate the worst when it comes to buying new construction.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The gas meter is about the last thing done, as the house has to pass inspection prior to installation. Gas meter is installed by utility Your only choice, is to wait till weather permits provider installs meter. This has to be done as weather permits. It is out of builders control. In the record harsh weather this winter, all construction will take longer than normal.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Weather conditions are generally considered valid reasons for delay, and are probably specifically noted in your contract.

It can be frustrating, but it is also reality. They cannot control the weather any more than you can.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The gas meter is about the last thing done, as the house has to pass inspection prior to installation. Gas meter is installed by utility Your only choice, is to wait till weather permits provider installs meter. This has to be done as weather permits. It is out of builders control. In the record harsh weather this winter, all construction will take longer than normal.
It might be one of the last things done where you are, but when we were building, as soon as the house was roofed and insulated they installed the gas meter and furnace so work could continue inside

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times
Typical, and you have almost no recourse. Cancel the installation and moving and such until you have the keys. It’s just not worth the stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate