Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: mortgage, escrow account, Home Owners Insurance, buyer, credit cards.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,280,482 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just not getting all this...everyone has a reason for selling, buying, moving, whatever...we all have different tastes and needs. Maybe I am just having a bad day, life, whatever..

Can we not just be positive for each other, and be kind in our criticisms. Some folks are truly going through a rough time..

Have a great day, everyone...
Barb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

889 posts, read 3,119,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Sure sounds like you are trying to pick 'something' with the poster. How do you know she is not hispanic..you have no idea who any of us are. I had a daughter in law that was hispanic...my sons were raised in a town that was more than half hispanic. I would rather live next door to some hispanics or african americans than some whites....

sheri, looks like a lovely area...maybe we will join you there when we get back to CA. we are still undecided about where in NorCal...might do central coast, who knows...have a good day dear
If you would *READ* the post, i am in no way talking bad about hispanics, if anything i have defended them. Do i like a little more diversity than living in a town with any race at 87.9 %- yep, i wont deny that. Her facts just are not completly acurate thats all and she seems to paint a picture that its all rosy there so close to the central coast which it is NOT.OH and by the way, i too have a daughter in law who is hispanic and lives in Greenfield with my stepson in which her fathers farm land was sold to the developer of Nino Homes!!!
By the way, does everyone know that Soledad State Prison is in Greenfields back yard?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
If you would *READ* the post, i am in no way talking bad about hispanics, if anything i have defended them. Do i like a little more diversity than living in a town with any race at 87.9 %- yep, i wont deny that. Her facts just are not completly acurate thats all and she seems to paint a picture that its all rosy there so close to the central coast which it is NOT.OH and by the way, i too have a daughter in law who is hispanic and lives in Greenfield with my stepson in which her fathers farm land was sold to the developer of Nino Homes!!!
By the way, does everyone know that Soledad State Prison is in Greenfields back yard?
I am fully aware that Soledad State Prison is in Greenfields back yard. Sacramento State Prison and Folsom Prison are in Folsom's back yard...my son is an officer there, Folsom is a beautiful community. Good luck Sheri I might join you there...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,878,698 times
Default Greenfield

Folks,

Post some stats on Greenfield including murder, arson, demographics and put this argument to bed. Obviously, Greenfield is no Monterrey, hence it is much more affordable. I live in an area that is half black and half hispanic, virtually no whites or asians. The area is known for crime in Chicago, not because they are black or hispanic but because they are poor.

What is the average income for Greenfield vs. surrounding areas and crime stats? I am sure someone can pull a demographic chart for the area, comparing 1980, 1990, 2000, and maybe even 2005 stats and show how things have changed over time, good or bad.

My renters are all hispanic and I have never had a problem with them. They are poor but good people. I am assuming most of the hispanics in Greenfield are much more affluent than the people I rent to.

Having a prison in your backyard is never a good sign.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Folks,

Post some stats on Greenfield including murder, arson, demographics and put this argument to bed. Obviously, Greenfield is no Monterrey, hence it is much more affordable. I live in an area that is half black and half hispanic, virtually no whites or asians. The area is known for crime in Chicago, not because they are black or hispanic but because they are poor.

What is the average income for Greenfield vs. surrounding areas and crime stats? I am sure someone can pull a demographic chart for the area, comparing 1980, 1990, 2000, and maybe even 2005 stats and show how things have changed over time, good or bad.

My renters are all hispanic and I have never had a problem with them. They are poor but good people. I am assuming most of the hispanics in Greenfield are much more affluent than the people I rent to.

Having a prison in your backyard is never a good sign.

My whole point is and remains the same that you cant paint a picture of a town someone really knows nothing about but has driven through it a few times and see's the prices are cheap for Calif. It is 45 min. away from the Central Coast which of course is beautiful but you can not catagorize Greenfield as being a desirable area to live for people wanting information on moving the the Monterey Penninsula. Its not even a bedroom community of Monterey. Most people there are poor, work in the fields and yes you will be the minority if a town is 87.9 % of a single race.
And the crime, its all done in Salinas which is gang against gang.It's about territory not poverty.I live very near Charlotte,NC now and the most recent crime is out of desperation and being very poor with no work at all. But not the gang bangers, they have jobs but its about turf and territory.So yes, if you feel comfortable with 87% of a community that has its own race and you know so many are in gangs then have at it. I cant begin to tell you how many innocent people are in the wrong place at the wrong time with these ruthless gangs.
And yes, having a prison in your back yard is never a good sign.Why do you think it was the last resort to finally start developing the town to even make it a "desirable" place for some to live.
I stand my ground, It is NOT a desirable place to live and never will be.Just because something is cheap does'nt mean its worth buying.

[edit] Demographics
In the Salinas Valley, Greenfield is the second most populated city in the Salinas Valley. Greenfield is the fifth most populated city in the Monterey County. In 2006, Greenfield was the fourth fastes growning city in California growing 15.6%, from 13,270 in 2005, to 15,335 in 2006. As of the 2007 California Department of Finance estimate, there were 16,629 people, 2,643 households, and 2,360 families residing in the city. The population density was 9,781.76 people per square mile (3,779.32/km²). There were 2,726 housing units at an average density of 1,606.5/sq mi (619.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 39.65% White, 1.18% Black or African American, 1.19% Native American, 0.77% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 51.95% from other races, and 5.11% from two or more races. 87.86% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There were 2,643 households out of which 65.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.5% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.7% were non-families. 7.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.75 and the average family size was 4.83. In the city the population was spread out with 38.3% under the age of 18, 13.4% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 12.5% from 45 to 64, and 5.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there were 108.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 112.5 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $37,602, and the median income for a family was $35,520. Males had a median income of $25,759 versus $23,848 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,226. About 17.1% of families and 21.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.2% of those under age 18 and 11.8% of those age 65 or over.

[edit] Immigration
In recent years, the town has seen a massive influx of immigrants from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Many Oaxacans speak indigenous languages not related to English or Spanish and as a result, find communication with the large Spanish-speaking and smaller English-speaking population impossible. Probably the largest single block of such immigrants are speakers of the Copala Triqui language, who are fleeing from poverty and an armed conflict in their native region that has been going on for over 20 years.

[edit] Economy

Organic FarmlandThe city of Greenfield is centered in once the most productive agricultural areas in the world. 80% of the lettuce grown in the United States is grown in the Salinas Valley. The area has often been coined as the "Salad Bowl of the World". Over $2 billion(US) worth of fruits and vegetables are produced and shipped annually across the U.S. and abroad. As a result many major vegetable producers are headquartered in the nearby city of Salinas. Local tourism is increasing as more people are attracted to the area, which is also known as the center of "Steinbeck Country". The area is also known as a premier wine grape growing region due to the rich soil and desirable climate. Vineyards, wineries and wine tasting rooms continue to expand throughout the region.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,047,807 times
Having lived and worked in South and East San Jose the figure I'd key in on is almost 1/4 of the adult population is below the poverty line and almost 1/3 of people below 18 are in the same boat. What a recipe for gang activity and would definately cause me concern.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

436 posts, read 1,358,896 times
So ok maybe Greenfield may not be the choice of those who posted her, but Sheri seems happy with her purchase. Instead of knocking her down, how about wishing her luck? I'll start. Good luck Sheri, much happiness in your new home.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,047,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
So ok maybe Greenfield may not be the choice of those who posted her, but Sheri seems happy with her purchase. Instead of knocking her down, how about wishing her luck? I'll start. Good luck Sheri, much happiness in your new home.
Agreed! Hope all works out for you!!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Nobody is knocking her down at all, its setting the facts straight.Who cares where she lives or buys but when a person posts ( read her posts) "very desirable area on the California Coast" and "Its on the California Coast" is NOT the truth.
Its an agriculture town 40 Miles from the coast and NOT on the California Coast and NOT a very desirable area to live in.Plain and simple. People should not stretch the truth to make it seem like Californian Coastal Homes are going for under $300k. I highly doubt that day will come.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM

I also agree...good luck Sheri, enjoy your new home...I'm sure you have put a lot of thought into your purchase, as we all do or at least should...not everyone fits in the same 'box', not every area right for every one...

It looks like a beautiful home, let us know what happens and when you close escrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate