Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 09:15 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Define "lots" and "regular basis".

In most places you can tell if someone's entertaining more than just a few people quite easily, by the number of cars parked near their house.

I have lived in single family neighborhoods for all but about 15 of the 59 years I've been alive. At least in the places where I've lived, ranging from lower-middle-class areas of a large Southern city to one of the most expensive neighborhoods in a large Northeastern city, to upper-middle-class suburbs, it is rare to see a big line of cars parked outside someone's house. Since I walk constantly, probably 320+ days a year, I can see this, and I'd say much less often than once a month do I see a big pack of cars outside a house at even one place. So if I am passing a couple hundred houses every time I go for a 45 minute walk, and I see a big pack of cars every other Saturday night, that means on any given Saturday night far fewer than one percent of my neighbors are "entertaining" - at least not enough people for it to matter, either to parking or to fitting them into the house. Sorry, but having one other couple over is not "entertaining" to the point that you need to build your entire house around it.

I know it's not a scientific study, nor does it cover every place in the US, only the places I've lived, but I see no evidence that entertaining of large groups of people is even remotely common enough to drive the residential architecture of an entire nation.
gee, what a surprise, you have an idiosyncratic and narrow minded definition of "entertaining" that is just as wrong as your constant screeds about a home style you happen to not care for.

No one said entertaining had to be so many people that cars were lined up. A couple of cars worth of people still counts as entertaining others, and yes, I continue to prefer my open floor plan to host 4 to 8 people in addition to my own family. Pre-pandemic, that is something I do on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 09:16 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe, but I think the idea still holds. Many people I know buy a house, and other things, based on a fantasy lifestyle they don't actually have or even really want when it comes down to it. My ex bought a pickup truck once to hold his equipment for the biking and kayaking he decided he was going to do. He never got around to doing any of that, but he did buy some clothes to wear in case he ever DID do that stuff! LOL!

Yeah I know some people like that. My Mom is one, in other ways than houses.

But most of the people I know have the houses they like, for the reasons they like.

I see no reason to judge that. It would be like me saying:

So you like your rooms separate? Yeah, I'm sure that works if you don't like your family and you want to stay locked away from them. I'm sure you like to keep your wife barefoot too.

I wouldn't think that. I WOULD think, that they like their rooms separate, for reasons should not concern me at all.

It seems some cannot just like something, without trying to put down the things other people like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2021, 09:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah I know some people like that. My Mom is one, in other ways than houses.

But most of the people I know have the houses they like, for the reasons they like.

It seems some cannot just like something, without trying to put down the things other people like.
I agree, and it's really, really annoying.

I also don't understand how buying an open concept and putting walls back in (time and $) is any less of an option than the many people who have bought a non-open plan and spent time and $ taking them out.

Last edited by KemBro71; 04-27-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

I also don't understand how buying an open concept and putting walls back in (time and $) is any less of an option than the many people who have bought a non-open plan and spent time and $ taking them out.
Already explained, multiple times, by multiple people.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Already explained, multiple times, by multiple people.
And all of it is nothing but weak excuses.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
The reason those of us who don't want to live in a supersized efficiency apartment get riled up about this, is that new houses aren't being built with separate rooms, and the first thing the flippers do when they get hold of an old house, right after they paint the brick white, is to knock down a whole bunch of walls. So actually finding and buying a house with walls is not that easy.
I would disagree...Friends recently had a new home built, in a large tract neighborhood, it has a separate dining room and office/den/whatever in addition to the family room.

I googled another less-upmarket builder and they had similar options (dining room or study), this in a floorplan at 1800 feet.
https://www.mungo.com/plan/village-a...creek/guilford

Is your complaint mostly about the kitchen opening to the family room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The current trend here, is still a "great room."

Yesterday, I toured KB homes project in Valley Center, Ca. (Starting in high 600's, btw.)

Kitchen was integrated into "great room" in all 3 plans. (All single story, btw.)

One thing that puzzled me was listed as "FLEX" room. It was fairly large, too. This was in addition to a great-room.

I'm guessing the piano/ping pong/billiards/hobby or other use room would go here.
Here they call them "FROG's." Finished/Free Room Over Garage. Usually an office space or exercise room or entertainment room.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:24 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
The reason those of us who don't want to live in a supersized efficiency apartment get riled up about this, is that new houses aren't being built with separate rooms, and the first thing the flippers do when they get hold of an old house, right after they paint the brick white, is to knock down a whole bunch of walls. So actually finding and buying a house with walls is not that easy.
Put em back up. Problem solved!

Old 05-01-2021, 04:20 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times
One big issue my wife has with our open floor plan in our new home is the lack of kitchen cabinets. She has one wall being the kitchen island is in the middle facing the living room. Luckily she has a big walk in pantry where I am adding more shelves for her. With a 10' ceiling I can add a lot of shelves. Also being the house has three bedrooms and it is only two of us she is making one of the other bedroom's walk in closet into a butler pantry/liquor cabinet.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
One big issue my wife has with our open floor plan in our new home is the lack of kitchen cabinets. She has one wall being the kitchen island is in the middle facing the living room. Luckily she has a big walk in pantry where I am adding more shelves for her. With a 10' ceiling I can add a lot of shelves. Also being the house has three bedrooms and it is only two of us she is making one of the other bedroom's walk in closet into a butler pantry/liquor cabinet.
Putting the kitchen in a corner allows for "L" shaped design and thus, more uppers without closing the kitchen off from other rooms in the home.
Attached Thumbnails
People in open concept homes are realizing the walls were there for a reason-pinevillekitchen1.jpg   People in open concept homes are realizing the walls were there for a reason-pinevillekitchen2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate