Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:07 PM

577 posts, read 493,266 times

Advertisements

Two or three single overhead garage doors always made more sense to me.

1. Using a single door, the vehicles will always have adequate space between them once parked inside so they will not get their doors "banged" against one another. One wide door.... can get tricky if some type of "indicator/lane marker" is not used for some drivers and they get their cars parked too close together.

2. The heavier 16' or 18 ' wide doors are more likely to have more structural/maintenance wear issues as they age.

3. The door opener motors and drives on single doors can have lower HP motors and cost less, wear out less..

4. If someone has an accident and damages the one large single door, they are out of a working garage door. With two or more single doors, they still have one or two working garages to drive in to. JMO though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 04:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Trying to understand how one large door is a deficit.
I enjoyed the one door just so I had more leeway on entry and exit. Try getting a van vs a sportscar.

My single door had two operations manual and automatic. I didn't worry if the motor stopped. I could lift it manually. Ohh I'm sure some consider it an inconvenience to have to do labor. But I never minded having my boys hop out and race to see who could open it quicker.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
In the Twin Cities suburbs - where multi-car garages are common - single-door, two-car garages are common. Also, three-car garages with two doors (one for two cars, one for a single) if it is three cars across.

Our neighborhood was built 2005ish-2018ish and it is common. Our old neighborhood in another Twin Cities suburb was the same, but that neighborhood was built out in the '80s. My hometown in a neighboring state is pretty much the same, for homes of all ages were there is a multi-car garage, detached or attached.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:48 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown Street View Post
I'm generally interested in this phenomenon. It's something I have noticed disappearing.

Is it just me, or are more home owners requesting two or three car garages?

My favorite garage design was always the old single stretched doors that folded up, because you had access to the center of the garage not blocked by a central beam. More room than a two car garage, and some of them you could fit two cars in with no issues.

It's something I don't see a lot of around here in New England, except on a few very old homes. Do you notice what I'm talking about too?
I have one. I don't like it. It takes longer to lift, and is harder on the opener. If it faces the street, it opens the whole garage to view, when you only need half of it to open. It's also common looking, IMO. It was very ordinary when I was growing up...a boomer. I think double doors are more pleasing aesthetically.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Around here, we have a lot of bi-level/split entry type houses with the garage located on the “basement” level. Those garages usually have a beam and support column between the two bays and two doors. Otherwise, one wide door.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:46 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
My house has a single door 2 car garage. I'd much rather have a 2 door garage with a bit of space in between doors.
I mean I'd really prefer a 3 or 4 car.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Most doors are like this in my area, one big door. If it's not it's usually just a design choice.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I agree.. the big doors are cheaper, but they also need a lot more maintenence, as do their openers, and there is no redundancy.
Why would one big door require more maintenance than two separate doors?

It is easier to paint one big door than two smaller doors.....more trimming involved with two.

Easier to maintain one garage door opener than two. With two openers, you would be dealing with a broken garage door opener twice as often and twice the amount of track and rollers to tend to.

I have had the same garage door opener on my 18 foot garage door for about 30 years.

And, IMO, one large opening is more flexible than two small openings, no center "post" to work around or get in the way.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 AM

14 posts, read 10,031 times
It must be just around my region now that you mention. Seems common among ranches and splits built in 1940's & 50's.

I live on the border of New Hampshire, and I don't see many of this style. Everywhere I look it's 2 & 3 doors.

I really love the single door garages because you can fit wide vehicles inside without worrying about a tight squeeze.

Maybe more popular on the midwest and west coast for some reason.

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 04-30-2019 at 03:34 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
The double garage doors are more expensive to build and to maintain however, they do provide more room for pulling into the garage and more room once in the garage with the two cars.

That being the case, two doors vs one requires a larger garage so once you add up all the extras required to have double doors, it becomes obvious why more competition homes are built with a single 26 foot garage door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate