Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:13 AM

257 posts, read 223,267 times

Advertisements

I recently put a 92% offer (based on the list price) on a home that I believed was listed above its market value based on comps. The seller countered to 96% and removed the fridge from the deal. I countered back to my best and final offer of 94% and added back the fridge (and agreed to pay buyer's closing costs). Seller then countered again to 95% and removed the fridge, pushed back the closing date. I decided to walk away.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable? It seems silly to walk away over a $8,000 difference but I feel the house was already overpriced for the immediate subdivision with a higher price per square foot than recent sales. It does have other nice things about it like a landscaped yard and an enclosed, air conditioned patio which differentiates it from the others.

After walking away, I see that the seller has now reduced his asking price (to 95% of original) and is having an open house this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
If he lowered his price ask your agent to make the same deal, he obviously can't get what he asked for and no one is knocking themselves out to buy the house besides you. I don't think $8K is silly unless it's a million dollar house and you have $8K to gift him.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 AM

257 posts, read 223,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If he lowered his price ask your agent to make the same deal, he obviously can't get what he asked for and no one is knocking themselves out to buy the house besides you. I don't think $8K is silly unless it's a million dollar house and you have $8K to gift him.

I should also mention I just made this final offer yesterday. He then reduced his sales price yesterday evening after I walked away.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:33 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Must of been one hell of a fridge.

Go make a offer again at 92%. Truthfully landscaping can be really expensive to do. While it doesn’t add “value” it costs a lot of money for something that has no value. My landscaping was 23,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
I should also mention I just made this final offer yesterday. He then reduced his sales price yesterday evening after I walked away.
That’s pretty dumb. He should of just kept negotiating. Now he’s gotta start over

Old 05-31-2019, 09:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the Seller made the last offer, which the OP rejected. that technically means the deal is dead in old-school legalese about offeror/offeree.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Sounds to me like both of you had your doubts..you for walking away and him for holding out.

When you make a "best and final" that means you walk if they don't accept it.
There should not have been any doubt.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 AM

201 posts, read 199,607 times
Quote:
If the bridge has not been burned, come back politely. Tell the agent to tell them you really want the house but with your price. How long the house has been on market? It's been sometime, it won't likely to move fast anyways. Buyer can wait, seller somewhat cannot wait as they have to pay mortgage. They should come back based on my prediction.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:45 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Petty, ego based negotiations, where no one wins. Brilliant.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
I recently put a 92% offer (based on the list price) on a home that I believed was listed above its market value based on comps. The seller countered to 96% and removed the fridge from the deal. I countered back to my best and final offer of 94% and added back the fridge (and agreed to pay buyer's closing costs). Seller then countered again to 95% and removed the fridge, pushed back the closing date. I decided to walk away.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable? It seems silly to walk away over a $8,000 difference but I feel the house was already overpriced for the immediate subdivision with a higher price per square foot than recent sales. It does have other nice things about it like a landscaped yard and an enclosed, air conditioned patio which differentiates it from the others.

After walking away, I see that the seller has now reduced his asking price (to 95% of original) and is having an open house this weekend.
FUN FACT: Most deals are lost over around $5k because people get emotional about it.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the Seller made the last offer, which the OP rejected. that technically means the deal is dead in old-school legalese about offeror/offeree.
I don’t understand why a stand alone appliance was even brought in the negotiation. It should of been negotiated privately as a separate purchase not as part of the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate