Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 04:08 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,293,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
That may be true, however, being debt free in your 30s minimizes your risk to any downturns and increases your ability to grow your wealth exponentially (my opinion) in comparison to being strapped with debt. Would I be "shooting myself" if its only a few years (i.e., 3-4 years - max)?
To this point financially, you're to be commended for really taking great care to not have debt.

bolded, this is the 2nd BIG monetary judgement you've given your opinion on. So, question - are you employed as a financial analyst, or have similar skills?

You've said you feel the market is over-valued, and since you included some nebulous geography, presumably you're speaking in your specific Rust Belt location (which, btw, you're only helping get better answers btw if you provide the city you're in). R/E may be overvalued if:

1. population and jobs in your locale are dropping.
2. the lower of the median or average house price is 110%+ (my choice of numbers) the ability of the median income to afford said house
3. the median value in your locale is 30%+ above whatever its peak was in the mid-2000's.

Right now, you should be able to borrow < 4.25%. You should be able to invest above that (especially if you don't max the 401K/employer contribution right now).

I'm not going to try the compounding equation, but I can only assume that if you invest $40K now, and $10K/year for 4 years, that on day 1 of year 5, it will be worth more than than 80K. And that $80K can thus NEVER grow exponentially more than the $80K you contributed over the same 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,979,421 times
Buy a house now. Pay it off as quickly as possible. This business of making more money on investments is bull****. You could just as easily lose your butt with investments. The chances of losing your paid off house are slim to none.

There is also the emotional satisfaction of knowing you don't have to write checks every month to the mortgage company or deal continuously with their mistakes or draconian requirements.

My house has been mortgage free for 20 years. It's a good feeling.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,691,405 times
I do believe the amount of interest you will pay on your house in the first two years is not calculated correctly due to mortgage amortization (https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx) On a 15 year loan, I'm getting about 40% of the payment going toward interest and gradually decreasing to about 35% towards interest at the end of 2 years. In the first 2 years, on a loan of $270k, it's almost $20k going towards interest.

Don't forget to factor in closing costs, ours came to about $8k and then we put an additional $5k towards points.

We are in a similar position as you. We live off of my income and have been saving hers for a couple of years. We have money for a big down payment, closing costs, money to buy points. We were looking for a house around 400k. We also have no debt, fairly new cars paid off, and are looking good for retirement and college fund.

We also debated waiting another year and paying off nearly half the house or just putting down what we have this year. We also have a school-age child, so that was a big part of the decision. We wanted a long-term house for her and us. We are 10 years older than you are, which does impact the decision as well.

We decided to go for a house this year and put extra money down towards the principal. Retirement does come first, but I would like to get the house paid off fairly quickly. I did opt for the 30 year loan instead of 15 because the interest rate wasn't that much different and life can happen. If someone gets sick or injured and you are down to one paycheck, I still want to be able to make my payments.

While I don't think buying a house is a great investment, if you are eventually going to buy one anyway, there are some things to consider. In those 2 years, how much will you put towards rent and how much will the house increase in value? Granted, on the flip side you have property taxes, maintenance, and interest, which you wouldn't have while renting. How much interest are you saving if you get the house now and then pay off the entire house in 4-5 years versus waiting 2 years for a bigger down payment and then paying the remainder of the loan in a year or two. Is that worth it to continue to rent for 2 more years?

I would consider everything, but in the end realize that life is here to enjoy. Calculating everything based on what makes you the most money isn't the key to happiness. It looks like you are trying to convince yourself logically that buying a house now makes more sense. Personally I think you should do what you want in this situation. If you want a house now, get one and then pay it off in 4-5 years. Will you waste more money rather than saving another 2 years? Probably. However, you can't take all that extra money with you when you die.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,312,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I would consider everything, but in the end realize that life is here to enjoy. Calculating everything based on what makes you the most money isn't the key to happiness. It looks like you are trying to convince yourself logically that buying a house now makes more sense. Personally I think you should do what you want in this situation. If you want a house now, get one and then pay it off in 4-5 years. Will you waste more money rather than saving another 2 years? Probably. However, you can't take all that extra money with you when you die.
this.

Buying a house should be more than a financial calculation. It should also be about where and how you want to live. For instance, do you plan to have kids and what time frame. It's great when you live in a family friendly neighborhood with lots of other families with young kids when you have your own kids. It's also nice to put down roots, and start to become a part of that kind of community now, so you can be more established once your kids do come. That's a lifestyle decision, not a financial one.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:48 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,214,798 times
I've seen better deals in the market during September- January market . Less competition with the buyer with kids who want to be settled before school starts. Get pre-qualified can. Make sure no early pay off penalties. Get a 30 year with the thought of making 1 and a half payments per month minimum, double even better.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,216,054 times
I would buy now, I always do a 30 year loan and pay extra to get it paid in 15 years..just in case. You never know when one could lose a job, become disabled, etc. We owned a home 4 years and my husband was involved in a life changing motor vehicle accident.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

14,289 posts, read 14,859,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
That may be true, however, being debt free in your 30s minimizes your risk to any downturns and increases your ability to grow your wealth exponentially (my opinion) in comparison to being strapped with debt. Would I be "shooting myself" if its only a few years (i.e., 3-4 years - max)?
You still need a place to live and while rent is not a debt, it is still a payment.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM

8,580 posts, read 12,492,142 times
If you're not planning to move to a different location in the near future, I'd say go ahead and buy a house now if you can find something that you like. Also, however, rethink whether you really need to buy a house costing $400K+. If you're living in a lower cost area, there are probably a great many good houses that could be bought for considerably less. Just because you can afford something more expensive doesn't mean that it's the best thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate