Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:03 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

How does one go about hiring a cleanout service for a house that's been lived in since 1972 and now the heirs want to sell it, as-is, quick. Do real estate agents typically have a list of local go-to guys for that?

Do they charge by the pound, or by the size of the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:15 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
This website has listings of agents who do estate/cleanout services

https://www.estatesales.net/companies

Some will clear everything out and sell it later, others will hold a 3-4 day sale at the home, then dispose of left overs.

They usually charge a % of the total proceeds from sales.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
If you really just want to junk everything, they will charge by the size of the job and how many loads they need to dump. At least in my area that's what they do. I once paid about $75 for a client to have a guy come load up a bunch of forgotten attic junk and garage junk and haul it off. I filled the back of a truck that was bigger than a pickup but smaller than a dump truck.

Cost will depend on dumping fees in the area.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
There is a local service near me that quotes a price to buy everything in the house. Less anything that is going to be kept by owners/heirs. They empty the house, garage of everything so house can be sold., sell what they can in their warehouse, donate what doesn't sell or what they decided not to sell. You get paid up front. No waiting. They are also known to find things stashed away and forgotten about and return treasures to family. The name of the business, appropriately named, Empty the Nest.

Maybe something like that in your area.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 06-24-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
If the stuff can be sold, an estate sale company might be interested. They'll need access to the house, which they'll use to clean the stuff and set up an estate sale.

If you're talking about a hoarder's nightmare, though, you'll probably have to pay to have that cleaned.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
You can certainly do the estate sale yourself after cleaning the place. We hire a dumpster and local cleaning company to clear estate homes we purchase. Vietnam Veterans of America will come and pick up donations and give you a charitable receipt. See if there's a branch in your area. I have a friend who is an antique appraiser who will also come in to make sure we understand what is valuable. When we can we hold the actual sales ourselves. Advertising in the Nextdoor and Craigslist sites in the area helps draw people.

We have also used estate liquidation companies. Our experience is that they are highly variable in quality and fees.We had such a company try to funnel some small porcelain items that were somewhat valuable into their own bags and claim the items were accidentally broken.its common for these people to sell on eBay or other auction sites so sadly theft happens if they spot something good. If you have any jewelry, coins or other valuables do NOT trust an estate company.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Let me make this a bit more personal while asking for advice. Older widower (me) living 1K miles away from my son. Other than some maybe sentimental value things (photos, etc.) in my house (and my car), there is nothing of real value in my home and nothing my son needs. He will inherit my home. An easily sellable house (mortgage free) and some money so he will not be needy...LOL

How would he "empty" my house? Not looking to make money but more like OK, "So and So Company" just come and empty it out at no cost. I have heard of 1-800.got.junk.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
How would he "empty" my house? Not looking to make money but more like OK, "So and So Company" just come and empty it out at no cost. I have heard of 1-800.got.junk.
I'll try to let you know how it works out for us. We are soon going to start cleaning out my wife's brother's house in a down-at-heel Appalachian town. The place is full of junk, but a few things can be donated (1-800-SA-TRUCK for Salvation Army to come and take some of the used-but-decent furniture). There are a few items that can be sold but if I have to work for weeks lugging stuff around and selling 10 items for $10-25 each it's not worth it.

We've used 1-800-GOT-JUNK in the past but they're pretty expensive.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
If you really just want to junk everything, they will charge by the size of the job and how many loads they need to dump. At least in my area that's what they do. I once paid about $75 for a client to have a guy come load up a bunch of forgotten attic junk and garage junk and haul it off. I filled the back of a truck that was bigger than a pickup but smaller than a dump truck.

Cost will depend on dumping fees in the area.
Thanks, we're looking at getting a dumpster and filling it ourselves. There's a halfway decent bedroom set, and an old dinette set that looks donatable but other than that it's all junk, from the living room to the other bedrooms to the attic (save for a few odd items in the attic). Lots of clothes to donate, too.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:31 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Let me make this a bit more personal while asking for advice. Older widower (me) living 1K miles away from my son. Other than some maybe sentimental value things (photos, etc.) in my house (and my car), there is nothing of real value in my home and nothing my son needs. He will inherit my home. An easily sellable house (mortgage free) and some money so he will not be needy...LOL

They'd first have an estate sale. People will come and buy a lot of that stuff. Go around to some estate sales on the last day of the sale and see for yourself. All those citronella candles that you bought on sale for $3 each? My wife bought 10 of them once for $3. I've bought the chair I'm sitting in, the computer monitor I'm using, some lamps, a rug, my garden hose, tomato cages, a few drill bits, a hatchet, fishing lures, a beer mug, a paint brush, all for cheap at estate sales. And with the exception of the beer mug, I've used all of that stuff, I'm not hoarding or anything. I bought a soiled rug that I use in an outdoor hallway to wipe my feet and the dogs feet on rainy days; mostly "worthless" but it was .50.

Unless the house is filled with fine antiques, its unlikely someone will come and haul it away for free. But people will come and buy it. Almost everything will sell at a price.

Per the website of a local estate sale firm:
Quote:
On average we sell 90-95% of the contents of the home. Typically what doesn’t completely sell out is mismatched kitchen items, clothes, or items with condition issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate