Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 02:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times

Advertisements

There is this piece of land I was looking at back in 2018, asking for about 100K. Then it went off the market -- I think it went off the market because if sold, usually Zillow would have a "sold" record and this one did not. On zillow it simply became unclickable.

Now it is listed again, asking more than double previous price. Still the same piece of land, just that a dirt road has been created.

If 100K did not sell 2 years ago, could it sell now for 200K without much improvement? Market actually has cooled in past 2 years rather than heated. What do you think is the strategy of the seller/agent with such drastic price increase?

Are they just hoping to get lucky? Or just testing the water?

Do you think they will be open to bids around 100K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 06:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
No I would suspect he would not take an offer of $100k on a $200k listing.

But you can give it a shot, it costs nothing.

Did he do anything to the property to make it more valuable? Sounds like an Investor.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:24 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Is it this property? Raw, rural land deals can be tough.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...ing-agent.html

Old 07-17-2020, 06:26 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
It now, apparently, has road access, something it didn't have two years ago. That would increase the value.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Zillow cannot be trusted for accuracy of information. They have no obligation to be accurate.

As to a market that's been stagnant for 2 years, I guess we'd all have to know what the market is, so someone with local knowledge could speak to it.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:54 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Property might have been taken off market while sanitary sewer lines were planned. Or plans for other infrastructure were finalized. Or nearby zoning was changed. Or a septic permit was obtained. So many things may have made the land more salable that were merely a dream previously. Sounds like the owner could afford to wait pending a bigger payoff.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:10 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Property might have been taken off market while sanitary sewer lines were planned. Or plans for other infrastructure were finalized. Or nearby zoning was changed. Or a septic permit was obtained. So many things may have made the land more salable that were merely a dream previously. Sounds like the owner could afford to wait pending a bigger payoff.
This was my thought when I saw that there was now, albeit dirt, road access as compared to a couple years ago.

Sewer/water service would be an immediate increase in value of at least 50% most places if not more. That's even taking into account the long term benefit/capital improvement assessment that would likely be levied.

Access to central water/sewer might now allow the parcel to be subdivided into multiple lots, which would increase the value almost exponentially.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Rural property is hot right now because cities have turned into deathtraps. A road is nice, but the question is if high speed internet is available in the area.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:46 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Forget what the property was listed for 2 years ago. That has nothing to do with today's value. The road, if it required getting right of way for the road, etc., could double the value of the property. A landlocked piece of property is worth only a portion of the value of a property that has legal access, and a road cut to the property.

Old prices mean nothing in this situation, and the value of the property is what can be done with it now it has legal access and a basic road access. And then evaluated with the price similar property has sold for recently. And other uses such as being subdivided, can greatly increase the value.

I once was offered a farm. It was 2 miles right down the road from a major electronics plant, with homes in between the plant and that farm. Bought the 40 acres, subdivided off 10 acres that was not good to develop, sold it for the down payment with an annual payment. And soon after closing sold the 30 acres that adjoined a big subdivision, with roads, and utilities stubbed to this 30 acres and made $100,000 for a few days work selling to a developer. Today that would be over Half a Million profit for the same property. Best thing was, I never put up one dime of my own money.

There are many factors that control value of land, so one has to do a deep study of highest and best uses for such a property, and what it is really worth. No one on this forum can give you that information, as we do not have the information needed to give you advice.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Forget what the property was listed for 2 years ago. That has nothing to do with today's value. The road, if it required getting right of way for the road, etc., could double the value of the property. A landlocked piece of property is worth only a portion of the value of a property that has legal access, and a road cut to the property.

Old prices mean nothing in this situation, and the value of the property is what can be done with it now it has legal access and a basic road access. And then evaluated with the price similar property has sold for recently. And other uses such as being subdivided, can greatly increase the value.

I once was offered a farm. It was 2 miles right down the road from a major electronics plant, with homes in between the plant and that farm. Bought the 40 acres, subdivided off 10 acres that was not good to develop, sold it for the down payment with an annual payment. And soon after closing sold the 30 acres that adjoined a big subdivision, with roads, and utilities stubbed to this 30 acres and made $100,000 for a few days work selling to a developer. Today that would be over Half a Million profit for the same property. Best thing was, I never put up one dime of my own money.

There are many factors that control value of land, so one has to do a deep study of highest and best uses for such a property, and what it is really worth. No one on this forum can give you that information, as we do not have the information needed to give you advice.
Absolutely agree with this. Old pricing means nothing today and a road into a property definetly adds tramendous value. Location of property also can make a huge difference based on time. The suburbs around NYC are booming now vs a year or even months ago when the city was a hot market. Times change values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate