Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
That was completely uncalled for! How in the world from my post are you finding me difficult?
I'm normally pretty harsh toward agents, but i think this one knows what she's talking about. I think she's gently trying to tell you that being OCD about the staging of your house, and the inflexibility of evening showings during the week is hurting your chances of selling. Your buyers are most likely to be people who work M-F during the daytime. Why do you think that they're going to take time off from work to see it when it's more accomodating for your schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I understand you can read my posts as that; but it is not the case. I am not inflexible in the least IMO. I don't allow agents to come in after 7 pm because my kids are in bed. Someone wouldn't be able to see the house; that I don't think it too much to ask for. I can't have my kids not getting enough sleep and unable to perform in school. If they go to bed later, they won't get out of bed on time. (school starts very early) If an agent called and said 7:30 is the only time my clients can see the house, I would make an exception, and I have made exceptions.

That said an agent calls, I am out of the house. I have never said no to an agent; except during my son's first communion party (when it clearly had no showing on that day)

I am definitely OCD about staging, but have it down to a science (I am sure in my mind!) Sadly, nothing I can do about that.....well I could I just can't. But, I only do it if I have the time. My house is normally spotless, but I like to the extra tweaking if time allows. Otherwise, I just leave.

And gently telling me something, well she tried, I disagreed with her opinion, and now I am difficult.....interesting...just sayin'

Old 05-08-2008, 11:44 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
I'd be more concerned about 200+ showings w/o an offer than the 24 no shows. I worry if I get 10 showings with no offers.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:55 AM

200 posts, read 561,648 times
Please reread the posts re your situation. Many great suggestions respectfully offered. Still think you might need to listen rather then defend, consider rather then dismiss. Something is wrong here if you have had 200+ SHOWINGS WITHOUT AN OFFER. Something needs to change as the buyers in your market are rejecting your property. At this point listening to your realtor might provide those changes..........whats to lose....you have already disappointed 200+ potential buyers.....in my market that would break all records.........

Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Oh I have had probably two hundred showings......she is baffled. We have had great feeback; just no serious buyers. We did have three offers; but sadly they were REALLY low.

We tried to negotiate; no one could come up in price. People seem to be looking at houses outside their price range in hopes of getting a good deal. The problem in my area; is that it is still somewhat 'hot'. Houses aren't sitting here.

We have a few issues with the house; but our price reflects these issues. Houses that are comps in our area are priced $50,000 and higher. It's crazy...honestly I think we were priced to low and that is killing us now.
I, too, have knocked myself out before a showing only to have the people not show up, so I know how frusrating it is. But at least you are getting good traffic. We've only had 7 showings in a year!
I guess if I had the kind of traffic you have I'd be thinking.."If they didn't like the house clean, let's see how they like it dirty!"

Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
I get there are reasons that you can't cancel all the time. I personally would appreciate a call after the fact. "sorry we couldn't make it because..."

What happens from the sellers end I am thinking "Did they come and forget to leave a card? Are they coming later because they are running behind?" I have no idea!
I agree, when realtors fail to keep an appointment it is totally unprofessional not to call. Also the realtors that don't provide feedback lack teamwork and courtesy. Although many realtors are very professional and respectful to the sellers, there are a lot that shouldn't be working with the public considering there demeanor. IMO the realtors should consider all sellers for future recommendations and clients.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I, too, have knocked myself out before a showing only to have the people not show up, so I know how frusrating it is. But at least you are getting good traffic. We've only had 7 showings in a year!
I guess if I had the kind of traffic you have I'd be thinking.."If they didn't like the house clean, let's see how they like it dirty!"
We had 60+ showings in 3 months, two offers (which buyers recinded to keep looking). Feedback was positive (immaculate, neutral, well-maintained, clean, beautifully staged, reasonable price) BUT not sold. So we decided to move all contents to other house, out of state. At this point we decided if it didn't sell "looking beautiful" it doesn't matter whether it is staged or not. Carpets were cleaned and "undented". Realtor is also frustrated with what is going on with the buyers.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYISHOME View Post
Please reread the posts re your situation. Many great suggestions respectfully offered. Still think you might need to listen rather then defend, consider rather then dismiss. Something is wrong here if you have had 200+ SHOWINGS WITHOUT AN OFFER. Something needs to change as the buyers in your market are rejecting your property. At this point listening to your realtor might provide those changes..........whats to lose....you have already disappointed 200+ potential buyers.....in my market that would break all records.........
It is defnitely a quandry; I agree, the realtor and I are taking steps to get the house sold! I should clarify we have had three offers; very very low. Hubby and I are moving because we want to, not because we have to, so it is easier to walk away.

The feedback we got which is ironic, is our house is priced too low. Buyers want to feel they are getting a deal in this market. Our wiggle room with our price is slim to none making it difficult

I went back and read; and am not seeing where you would say I am getting defensive...sorry! I read your post about getting the realtor involved in no-shows, and commend your for your efforts, but don't think that course of action is necessary for our house, not defensive, just disagree. An agent doesn't show up; it isn't the worst thing, it is just aggravating.

The entire point of this thread is that agents don't give the 'follow-through' that is expected by 99% of jobs. Like I stated before, if I pulled what half the agents have pulled, I would be fired from my job!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 PM

22 posts, read 57,754 times
Quote:
I have had countless realtors call to make an appointment at our house. I scrub it clean; make sure it sparkles; stage everything; buy flowers; get out of the house. Only to have them no show. It drives me insane! At least have the courtesy to call and cancel.

Do they not get...

a) the time it takes me to make sure the house sparkles?
b) the stress it causes
c) the money it costs ME at times!!
d) the time I have to be out of MY house for no reason!!
Vueve - after reading all the comments to your original posts, I felt like I needed to restate it. You are NOT asking for advise as to how to sell your house, or how to make the work any easier to prepare for showings. You are simply stating your frustration with no shows. I have been resisting responding for days, but figured I would chime in.

IMO, there are very small percentage of good realtors. We have had our house on the market for 3 months and I would say we had a 30% no show rate. I was infuriated every time it happened, asking "why the hell couldn't we at least get a courtesy call that they weren't showing up". If these irresponsible, inconsiderate realtors worked in the corporate world, they would get their *ss fired in no time. I certainly wouldn't put up with this unprofessionalism from any of my employees.

I think the main issue here is that there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Who do they report to. If they blow off a showing, who is going to hold them accountable for their actions - no one. It are these types of people that give realtors a bad rap.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
The entire point of this thread is that agents don't give the 'follow-through' that is expected by 99% of jobs. Like I stated before, if I pulled what half the agents have pulled, I would be fired from my job!
So by my math you consider agents that show up for appointments or call to cancel doing the expected and those that don't are poor at the job. You've had 224 appointments, 200 showings vs. 24 no shows. That means by what you've stated that 88% are doing their job well. How many professions do you think have 12% that aren't pulling their weight?

I'd bet quite a few. Lets not turn this into a bashing thread. As stated earlier, now you are being defensive. You should listen to what you've been told. Be concerned about the 200 buyers that chose not to purchase your home, not the 24 that didn't show up. You need to do something different. Price, condition, or terms....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate