Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on how I should handle the current situation I'm dealing with. About a week ago, we dealt with water intrusion in the basement of the house. The seller checked "No" on the form 17 disclosure (State of WA) we received during the purchase process stating they were not aware of any basement flooding. After what we've seen in just a couple of days of rain, I just don't think that it is possible. There are also other signs like a makeshift trench being cut that appears like an effort to divert some of the pooling water in that area. They left a dehumidifier in the area as well and other "stay dry" agents.

We got an estimate to remedy the issue that was between 2k-4k. Not a crazy amount but still a cost I find hard to eat. I'm not sure the hurdles we'd have to go through to prove the previous owners knew this was an issue and failed to disclose it. We reached out to our buyers agent and she was no help, not really wanting to get involved or just informing the sellers and their agent. I'm thinking of reaching out directly to the sellers agent to see if something could be worked as that just seems easier and less expensive than going the small claims route. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 03:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
I'm sure the sales people don't care after they get their commission so it is time to talk to a R/E attorney. You will get real legal advice online so gather your evidence and make an appointment.

Sorry this has happened but where was your inspector. Please don't tell me they were recommended by the salesperson!

Old 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I'm sure the sales people don't care after they get their commission so it is time to talk to a R/E attorney. You will get real legal advice online so gather your evidence and make an appointment.

Sorry this has happened but where was your inspector. Please don't tell me they were recommended by the salesperson!
Thanks for the response. It's only in one area of the basement, near the crawl where it seeps in through the exposed ground when waterlogged. A minor amount of flooding but still happening after a strong rain. No signs of water damage and was pretty much unremarkable when we bought the place. We had our own agent, but yeah, probably something they should have alerted us to.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I would talk to the neighbors and see if the homeowner mentioned water intrusion in the basement. One of them might have helped with the trench or talked with the neighbor about it. Then you would have something to chat with the seller about.

Your home inspector didn't comment on the trench?

Old 01-28-2021, 11:06 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Was there any evidence of water staining, high moisture readings or efflorescence in the basement when you did inspection? Is this an unfinished or finished space?

My question too, was whether there was any mention of the trench.

We did just get a freakish rain event a few weeks ago. More than even our typical winter time pineapple expresses. It is *possible* that event was worse than has been experienced in recent years.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We lived in a house in CA for 7 years and never had any water issues, until the winter before we sold it. The water got into the crawl space when we had a very unusual week of steady, hard rain. Though it had never happened before, the buyer inspection revealed the water stains and it cost us $2,000 (in 1993) to have a sump pump put in, which may never be used. The bottom line is twofold:

1. A competent inspector should have seen the evidence (perhaps that is where a lawsuit belongs).
2. Sometimes a flood can be a one-time event even on a home that's been there for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate