Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 40,991 times

Advertisements

Our house went on the MLS late Saturday. On Tuesday, my realtor held a Realtor's Tour/Open House but noone attended. I know it's only been a few days since we listed, but should I be worried that no realtors attended the Open House? The realtor offered lottery tickets as a premium to attract other realtors to the Open House. I'm not sure how else she advertised the Open House. She didn't seem very worried about the turn-out as she said her fellow realtors had a low turn-out also. She also mentioned that the Open Houses rarely result in a buyer. It's only been a few days and I'm already stressed! I have a very long road ahead of me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
Has your realtor also had no calls at all in regard to at the very least the listing in the mls? I dont know what area you are in, but usually you get the most calls the first few weeks the home is listed, as it is "new". I would give it till next Saturday, if no one has called to see it, then if it were me, I would reevaluate some things, is the price too high? How do the pictures look? are they fresh and clean? What other avenues are being done to market the home, some people do not have an agent and even if they have one, most of them will continue to look for homes on the internet, so I would hope your agent is posting them up on local sites for people to look at.

Best of Luck - give it a little more time, I just listed a home yesterday at a reasonable price and its only 6 years old, even I thought I would have gotten more calls yesterday, but I did get one, hopefully more towards the weekend.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 AM

540 posts, read 2,173,280 times
This is kind of a question about what is "normal" for your area. In my area, a home on tour for the first time (Realtor Tour is every Wednesday) - we will typically see between 12 and 30 agents show up to preview the house. Offering incentives (such as lottery tickets as your agent did, luncheons, treats...) often increases attendance slightly, but those who have a buyer looking for a home in YOUR category usually will show up either way.

Again, that is NORMAL here, and your agent should be able to tell you what is NORMAL in your area. If you got zero to show up - where there are normally 15 or 30 - then you need to look at (a) your price / value proposition; (b) your curb appeal; (c) your photos...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,239 times
I'm not an agent, so I can't help there. Have you had any showings since Saturday? If it were me, I'd give it through the weekend and then revisit the listing with my realtor. Remember, you and your realtor are a team!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,549 times
I think a lot of it depends on your area. Where we currently live there is a 2 year + inventory. The first month we were listed we didn't get one single call about our house. Week 5 we had 3 showings and the 3rd showing put in an offer. I've talked to other people in our area and they are having the same issues. If you search in my zip code in my price range you pull up 200+ houses. Check your area and see how many other houses you are competing with.

Good luck!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natava View Post
I have a very long road ahead of me....
As reality sets in.........yes, you do have a long road but you'll find plenty of company along the way.

In our area, if we get one or two we're ready to stand up and cheer. The last an agent in our office held attracted one. The only reason she came was she has a two bedroom listing on the same block where his listing has three. She suggested they show clients either one depending on bedroom needs.

Inventory justs keeps getting added to the market around here and probably a similar situation where you're at. Keep your head high and use every ounce of patience you can beg, borrow or steal. You will eventually see the end of the road.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
As reality sets in.........yes, you do have a long road but you'll find plenty of company along the way.

In our area, if we get one or two we're ready to stand up and cheer. The last an agent in our office held attracted one. The only reason she came was she has a two bedroom listing on the same block where his listing has three. She suggested they show clients either one depending on bedroom needs.

Inventory justs keeps getting added to the market around here and probably a similar situation where you're at. Keep your head high and use every ounce of patience you can beg, borrow or steal. You will eventually see the end of the road.
Same thing here! We've had two broker opens and had exactly 2 agents show up. Inventory is currently runing at 49 months worth so there's lots to choose from...

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
We had 15 agents come through on the realtor's open. Over the next week we had around 5 showings.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 AM

47 posts, read 164,630 times
When I have open houses, I usually get a few people stopping by even if its just nosey neighbors. I would ask the realtor how he/or advertised the open house.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,825 times
Default realtor's open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilson67 View Post
When I have open houses, I usually get a few people stopping by even if its just nosey neighbors. I would ask the realtor how he/or advertised the open house.
The OP is referring to a realtor's open house. I would think as a courtesy, at least a few area agents would attend. I know my agent tries to get to as many as possible. She likes to know what's out there as far as competition goes. A new listing came on the market in my neighborhood the other day and she attended the agent's open yesterday so she can compare it to my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate