Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,239,761 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about dogs? I've rented to a number of dog owners - after meeting the dog - and have never had a bad experience. In my experience, they're stable, long-term tenants who take good care of the property. It's hard to find a rental that accepts dogs, so they're likely to stay put and behave. It's also an indicator of being settled and mature. I'm not a fan of cats, though. If you get one that sprays inside, you will never get the smell out.

My first choice would be #3. Agree about clearing up the smoking issue.

Does anyone do in-home visits of potential tenants, as Joylush mentioned? I've wondered about that in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 10:05 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,674,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Honestly, I'd keep looking. There are issues with all of them and not enough info. But, with just the above info, I'd choose in this order:

1) College grad. Least likely to actually smoke or already have a pet. Will probably party, may want to get a roommate or sneak one in, possibly be a slob or not be good about mowing lawns, etc., but probably want to take care of his credit score and won't likely consider it's possible to break a lease.

2) 43 year old female. Yes, she'll probably move soon, but isn't likely to have a pet, if she moves so much. You never know about smoking unless you smell it on her. If you verify her last job was far enough away that she had to move for this new job, that's a good reason to move, at least.

3) Married couple. I don't like that they want to move asap or that you already know they're lying about the smoking. I like her job, but something else is wrong with their situation, if they are having to move asap. I don't care if he doesn't have a SS#, but getting paid in cash means you can't verify his income and that's a real issue.

Lots of other questions and issues, but as far as playing this game goes, those are my picks.

This...especially if you want long term tenants which I prefer. I'd probably pick the college grad if only those 3 choices although he would probably be short term as well.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 PM

8,192 posts, read 8,421,512 times
We are okay with dogs who are up to date on vaccinations, are not aggressive, live inside and are not outside when tenants are not home, and are sterilized. We insist on meeting applicants’ pets before they move in.

We are not okay with smoking. Concerns:

#1 - partying, unauthorized roommates, not taking good care of the house
#2 - inability to stay employed and pay rent
#3 - smoking and her job.

Rent is $1525/month.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,751,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
1100 sq ft single family house 2/2/1. Available April 15th. Here are the applicants, pick your choice (this is a game but facts are real)

1. Male, age 22, new college grad. — Credit score 650 no evictions, no felonies, new job $52K, says he doesn’t smoke, no pets, wants to move in May 1st

2. Female, age 43, Credit score 650 moving to area for new job for established company opening a new office in area — no evictions, no felonies, new job $60K, says she doesn’t smoke, no pets. Resume on Linked in shows job changes constantly. Last job ended in December and was 7 months in tenure. Says she will work from home until the office opens. Wants to move in April 15th.

3. Married couple. She 27, he 32. Her Credit score 720. He works for cash as construction worker (no SS#), she is legal assistant for 4 years for Immigration law firm. Salary $68K. No kids, a small dog. Both say not smokers but facebook has photos of him smoking (photos a few years old). Wants to move in ASAP.

I still have the ad active....... but how would you rate the above in order of 1,2,3rd choice.
#1 the married couple. 68K income should be enough on it's own. The best credit of the 3 options. Get enough deposit $ to cover any issues to the property from smoking. Put very clear language in the lease that prohibits smoking.

#2 the 43 y/o female. 60k job and older/mature. Credit and work history is at least enough to stay employed and maintain adequate credit.

#1 the 22 college grad. Just getting started and not as seasoned a tenant/adult as the others.

None are perfect. If they were, they'd probably own their own place.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:10 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,445,995 times
Number 3, not only no, but hell no.

For number 1 and 2, which ever order the application came in.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,445,995 times
Quote:
We are okay with dogs who are up to date on vaccinations, are not aggressive, live inside and are not outside when tenants are not home, and are sterilized. We insist on meeting applicants’ pets before they move in.

Rent is $1525/month.
Number 1 is an assumption, a baseless one, most college attendees and grads are not partying, far from it actually, only a minority few actually engage in this stereotype.

Number 2, there is proof there is inability to pay rent? To stay employed? You realize many people change jobs voluntarily, right?

Number 3, what about her job that is a concern? I do not smoke yet have pics of me smoking, lol, that is not even close to proof of a smoking habit. Sometimes it is just a fun thing to do for a pic, not unusual either. To me having the illegal immigrant would be the big issue.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,644,808 times
With the college grad, the parents are likely to be on tap for getting the rent. You could always tell him he needs a co-signer. Co-signers don't guarantee a tenant will behave, but it gives you someone else to harangue them, if they're not paying on time or there are problems.

I used to rent to a lot of students. Grad students are the best, but it depends on the major. Sometimes having parents as cosigners can be a pain, as they can be helicopter parents and you can end up dealing with more people than just the person on the lease (which is why I quit having cosigners, even if I knew the parents were paying the rent - I'd just say, sorry, I only deal with the person on the lease and I don't care who actually pays their rent).

Law students were the best for me, and they often stayed after they passed the bar and got jobs. Law students and young lawyers are worked to death - no time to party.

I learned to shy away from anyone who was ready to move in asap. Unless they have just got to town because of a new job offer, there is a bad reason they need a place right now. Because of Covid, I'd be afraid they needed a place because the rent mandates are just ending and they want to move before they get evicted.

I used to ask, "So, why are you moving right now?" They don't usually expect that for some reason. I had a couple like the #3 one blurt out that their aunt doesn't want them on her couch anymore.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 AM

4,966 posts, read 3,394,150 times
Quote:
... Both say not smokers but facebook has photos of him smoking (photos a few years old). Wants to move in ASAP.
Just popping in to remind folks that a whole great many folks that do smoke haven't smoked indoors since forever. That would almost certainly include your rental house.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:25 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:

Rent is $1525/month.
Even with meeting pets, there is a lot on your list of concerns that might present a headache to you later all the same, to include aggression (or just loud barking behavior that you don't observe when you meet the dog) and keeping the dog outside if the tenants are prone to not listen.

From where I stand, with your amplifying information, #1 is still the clear winner for me. There are still too many outstanding concerns for #2 and #3. To add, I'd fear that someone staying at home all day (#2) might not take very good care of the house and will "age" the house more than some who are out of the house during working hours.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:47 AM

23,918 posts, read 33,748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
If I had to choose among the 3 listed above, I would rank them in reverse order from how you have listed them. In other words, #3 would be my first pick, #2 my second choice, and #1 my last choice. You have to "read between the lines" when evaluating rental applicants. You can't go by just what is listed on the application. Often times, what's NOT listed is more important than what is listed. You have to use experience and intuition in order to make an educated guess on what is not listed that might be of concern to you as a landlord.

Clearly, #3 is the best applicant. She is steady and dependable and will see that the bills are paid on time. He is much less dependable and perhaps is hiding income from the IRS, but that's not your worry. You just want the rent on time and want them to take care of the place. The little dog may be a minor problem, but as long as you make it clear that any damage done by the dog will have to be paid for by them, that should take care of that. Also let them know that if the dog barks a lot and bothers other tenants, that's ground for kicking them out and keeping their deposit.

Applicants #1 and #2 are about a tossup. #1 has NO rental record, and considering his age and just graduated from college, he may be a problem when he discovers single life in his own apartment with a new job. Much partying and many late night visitors are to be expected. In addition, he may not have the first clue about how to keep a place clean.

Applicant #2 strikes me as a perpetual "victim". Something is always going wrong in her life requiring constant job changes and constant moving. Something bad is always happening to her, and it's always (allegedly) someone else's fault. She is only marginally a better risk than #1, and it's mainly due to her being more mature.
Agree with you Chas for the reasons you listed. The husband will probably keep the lawn mowed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Many smokers have adjusted to smoking outdoors only. But you could flat out tell them that you saw pictures and ask what is up. People DO quit.

If not #3, I would keep looking. New grad needs training wheels. Mustang Sally is a wreck waiting to happen.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree that if he smokes, it's probably outside. The OP should call them on it to make it known there's no smoking inside the rental. We smoke but only outside. I can't even be in a house where they're smoking.

My son works for Comcast, he said it's rare that people smoke in houses these days and that everyone goes outside to smoke. I only know a few people that do it in the house, one has a kid too which ticked me off. I have a friend who I see once or twice a month to talk. She lit up a cigarette in the car the other day I asked her to open her window. It was too much smelling her smoke. Normally she has it open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
What is the rent? My first choice would definitely be #3. But only after doing an in-home visit to verify their current living conditions. In today’s world it’s a must. No hoarding, dog stench or damage, smoking smell or meth labs....no problem but must be verified.
Great point about verifying if the OP can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate