Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,205,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In my experience, smokers always end up smoking inside - bad weather, too scary to go out in the dark, etc. Plus, even when they smoke outside, it's usually right outside the door and the smoke blows in anyway, and the smell is carried in on their clothes, which they put in the closet, etc. And, they'll have friends who smoke. And, they almost always throw their butts outside on the ground and expect them to magically disappear.
When I was a LL i would always look inside their car when they went in to take a look at the house- usually the inside of the car would let you know what the house would look like in 6 months (!). They said they do not smoke? Why is there a full ashtray in the car?

Also I would drive by their current residence and see how the outside was maintained. Trashy yard and crap all over the place?
NEXT!

Smart LL's also have in the lease that the smoke detectors/furnace filters will be inspected very 6 months- that will let you know how well the house is cared for too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 03:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Clearly, #3 is the best applicant. She is steady and dependable and will see that the bills are paid on time. He is much less dependable and perhaps is hiding income from the IRS, but that's not your worry. You just want the rent on time and want them to take care of the place. The little dog may be a minor problem, but as long as you make it clear that any damage done by the dog will have to be paid for by them, that should take care of that. Also let them know that if the dog barks a lot and bothers other tenants, that's ground for kicking them out and keeping their deposit..
It's a sfr not an apt complex. There's no other tenants. And I'd never sign a agreement that has grounds for barking dog as reason for keeping deposit.... Talk about petty

Old 03-12-2021, 05:52 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,097,644 times
1. Married couple - Make sure the one with the 720 credit score is the name on the rental agreement (you didnt say if you are leasing or doing month to month), and make sure occupancy is for 2 adults only in the agreement. Take photos (clearly identifiable head shots) of them both for your records. First month, last month and a good security deposit should cover any misgivings about the possibility of him smoking - if that is a big deal.

His imigrating relatives could move in with them and/or his face could change from month to month if she is in the business of helping people immigrate.

2. 43 year old woman - if no evictions then no problems, right? Okay you will MAYBE need another tenant in a year, or maybe she is getting tired and might settle for a while in your apartment. As long as you dont mind being a landlord, this is par for the course for you.

3. College Grad - hasnt proved himself yet. I dont know if you are allowed to but maybe ask for character references like a job would ask for to get insight on his maturity level & demeanor. Chances are he has a college loan to pay (unless his parents have been kind enough to carry that for him) as well as your rent and other expenses.

1, 2 & 3 really are interchangeable but for different reasons. Get credit checks looking for loan defaults for 2 & 3.

You are not there to judge anybody - your main objective is timely payments and not finding your property completely destroyed when they leave. No one is going to care about the property as much as you do.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 03-12-2021 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 06:38 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,445,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
No need to. The wife makes more than enough to qualify on her own (verified). His income is just a bonus.

Doing the in-home visit confirmed the smoking concern is a non-issue as well as verified their reason for needing to move now. She found a winner!
But the OP referred to one of the reasons was "two income earners", so that seemed to me the OP was taking two incomes into consideration since it was a reason, and did not mention one of them qualified on their own.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:59 PM

9,156 posts, read 14,820,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Many smokers have adjusted to smoking outdoors only. But you could flat out tell them that you saw pictures and ask what is up. People DO quit.

If not #3, I would keep looking. New grad needs training wheels. Mustang Sally is a wreck waiting to happen.

Just my 2 cents.
So, they become a nuisance to all the neighbors, then breath all the smoke back out of their lungs when the come back. Oh and then there’s that rainy day where they just stand near the door and most of the smoke comes back inside.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:05 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,097,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, they become a nuisance to all the neighbors, then breath all the smoke back out of their lungs when the come back. Oh and then there’s that rainy day where they just stand near the door and most of the smoke comes back inside.
"Unfortunately, tobacco smoke can stain the walls and ceiling in the apartment. Depending on their severity, these stains can also seep through freshly painted walls. With that in mind, it's crucial to wash the walls down with a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and water before you start painting."

Its not the end of the world to have a tenant that smokes. In larger apartment buildings, adjoining tenants may request to have their apartments sealed.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:42 PM

6,143 posts, read 3,850,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
It's a sfr not an apt complex. There's no other tenants. And I'd never sign a agreement that has grounds for barking dog as reason for keeping deposit.... Talk about petty
Well, if it's a single family residence instead of an apartment complex, then my comment about "disturbing other tenants" obviously wouldn't apply.

Whether you would sign an agreement about the dog that you keep in your rental apartment/house being a possible nuisance is your business. Whom the landlord decides to rent to and under what conditions is his/her business.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:47 AM

51,233 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
But the OP referred to one of the reasons was "two income earners", so that seemed to me the OP was taking two incomes into consideration since it was a reason, and did not mention one of them qualified on their own.
He said in the OP the wife made a verified $68,000, which is more than the other two applicants.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:15 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,701,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Concern about her job is that she works in a law firm. I have never had any trouble with the one tenant I have who is actually a plaintiff’s attorney but I have known other Landlords who have had a lot of issues leasing to attorneys.
Thanks for posting. That never occurred to me.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:38 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,701,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I can see your user name and this post do not go together
Thanks for the "dig." Do you feel better now?

Quote:
nor do you manage a bunch of rentals.
You do realize this thread isn't about me, right?

I am not an experienced professional landlord - I have a couple condos I rent out.

Quote:
I have over 25 rentals so am used to going on both "paper info" and "gut instinct" and I can tell you gut instinct is way more important than paper info. That said, all 3 of these applicants would be absolutely fine for any of my houses or apartments.
I appreciate you sharing your hard-earned wisdom & expertise. I will never be a professional landlord in the way you are. Each of us are good a some things and not-so-good at others, and its clear you've found your niche.

One thing I suspect you might agree with is that inexperienced landlords don't appreciate the work and skill involved in being a successful landlord. I'll never have your skill nor experience. Does that mean I shouldn't have posted my guesses in this game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate