Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:15 AM

22,729 posts, read 36,958,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, they become a nuisance to all the neighbors, then breath all the smoke back out of their lungs when the come back. Oh and then there’s that rainy day where they just stand near the door and most of the smoke comes back inside.
Right. Smokers never realize how much they reek. Worst is working in an office building and getting in an elevator with them after they've "waved the smoke away". Or they like to sit in the open window of the house and smoke because it's too cold/rainy/windy whatever.

And I agree with whoever said the paralegal will think she's an attorney. Nothing worse than a lil but of legal knowledge coupled with knowing you always have an attorney at your disposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 09:47 AM

10,025 posts, read 4,765,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Right. Smokers never realize how much they reek. Worst is working in an office building and getting in an elevator with them after they've "waved the smoke away". Or they like to sit in the open window of the house and smoke because it's too cold/rainy/windy whatever.

And I agree with whoever said the paralegal will think she's an attorney. Nothing worse than a lil but of legal knowledge coupled with knowing you always have an attorney at your disposal.
The havoc smokers reek. Absolutely. Some 'older' smokers are hooked like a junky on crack hench the constant need to rush outside for smoke even in their own home. It's the younger smokers that worry me even more because in this day and age ie decades of anti smoking campaigns and news they still do it. Vaporers and potheads were able to disguise smoking issues as a civil rights issue which se the table for all sorts of stupid stuff. The younger smokers are more 'dangerous' because they're the ones that are more likely to smoke drugs and exotic poop that smell worse than a Malboro. Cigarette butts all over present as the trash/liitter they are courtesy of local litter bugs

Prepping an apartment or even house occupied by a smoker is the worst because the smoke covers and walls/paint which must be cleaned for new paint to stick. Carpets have to be changed. And smoke can wind up and stick in some weird places. Years after I quit smoking I went into a room I used to smoke and couldn't believe that their was still residue there. Hadn't painted after I quit. Needless to say that room got a new paint job and cleaning.

Problem with smokers in high turnover houses and apartments is that the non smoker will notice the remnants of their nasty habit right away. It sticks out.

Last edited by anononcty; 03-14-2021 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2021, 09:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,842,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree about gut instinct but running a credit check is a must for me. I've got to know their financial background and ability to pay on time.
I hear ya. But I talk to them honestly and tell them that I'm going to know everything about you financially, and that they have to pay for the credit report. I tell them it's best to be up front before you lose the money. Most of them tell me everything I need to know up front, like the tenants that were with us for 18 years. They told me about the foreclosure up front. Normally that would be a heck no red flag, but something told me to take a chance on them, so I did.

They were never late, not even once in 18 years. We didn't have a lease for about 15 years and I let them live out their security deposit. They left a lot of crap behind and I called the husband and asked him to get it all out, and he did. We had a great relationship, and actually still do.

Sometimes good people get into trouble financially, and sometimes the ones that get a break don't forget that. So there's more to it than numbers.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:17 AM

14,026 posts, read 8,184,448 times
I found it best to let applicants know when they come by to see the property that I will be by monthly to change the AC filters. It will be in the lease agreement. Now, after I get to know the renter I will let them change the AC filter, write on that days date and send me a photo. However, that comes later.

I have to be sure the AC filter is being changed. My properties are in AZ and for 6 months a year the AC is running non-stop 24/7.

But this also gets me into the house. Now, I'm in/out in five minutes but I can see how the property is being maintained. Also if an applicant is thinking about sneaking in an additional occupant or pet forget it. I will find out. Maybe not right away but I will find out.

I had a couple who moved into my rental in Sept. of 2019 but in early 2020 I began to notice a number of people not on the lease usually inside the property. I was told they were guests. Fine but after a few more months I saw their car was still parked outside. I told my tenants I'm sorry but I am thinking about selling so I will not be renewing our lease agreement. I gave them 60-days notice.

Unfortunately, some renters feel as long as they pay the rent on time it's all good. No, it's not all good.

Which is why it's important for rental applicants to realize before they sign a least agreement I'm a very hands on landlord. If this makes some feel uncomfortable better to rent from a property management company or another owner. Renters can usually get away with more since property management companies often aren't watching as closely as an owner.

Last edited by john3232; 03-14-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-14-2021, 12:53 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,446,535 times
I have not been in my rental in years. Last time was after hurricane Irma.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:54 PM

30,749 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'd ask a college grad about their gpa. It amounts to a work reference. Should be fairly easy to determine if this is a young man that will host parties or a nerd whose idea of a fun Friday night consists of virtual gaming.
The frats at my university had repositories of old midterm and final exams for various courses, which were repeated semester after semester by professors, so GPA may not be the best indicator at times

Old 03-14-2021, 02:43 PM

14,026 posts, read 8,184,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The frats at my university had repositories of old midterm and final exams for various courses, which were repeated semester after semester by professors, so GPA may not be the best indicator at times

I had a young lady one time hand me a copy of her recent college transcripts with her application. Top student at a top university.

I congratulated her on her academic achievements but said I would still need to see pay stubs to verify her income.

Never heard back from the woman.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:07 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,313,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

How many decades ago was that?

Old 03-14-2021, 03:34 PM

10,025 posts, read 4,765,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Unfortunately, some renters feel as long as they pay the rent on time it's all good. No, it's not all good.

Which is why it's important for rental applicants to realize before they sign a least agreement I'm a very hands on landlord. If this makes some feel uncomfortable better to rent from a property management company or another owner. Renters can usually get away with more since property management companies often aren't watching as closely as an owner.
I've lived in apartments with the owners living on site. I have no problem with that and most tell you they have the right to enter your apartment for maintenance, repairs etc. Most landlords have 'reminded' me the apartment is theirs and if the law enforcement wants to see they will let them.

Landlords and staff are there but most tenants try to get over like children. They will try to sneak what ever in game like fashion. That includes sneaking people in during non business hours. I've seen units where you know there's someone there but they are not on any lease. Not talking bf or gf either its like a group unit. I thought one unit changed over because there were different people and behaviors weeks on end.

The best thing is remind the tenants its your building and you wont' tolerate squat. The toughest rental interview I had was filled with threats about they would or would not tolerate, zero tolerance. It was a lecture and like toughest JOB interview ever but I got it. One has to visually 'test' the applicant with various questions, scenarios and see how they react. Sometimes one can pick up on the liars by reactions to very generic harmless questions.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:03 PM

30,749 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How many decades ago was that?
I graduated from college in 2011. Trust me when I say that it has not changed since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate