Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 386,081 times

Advertisements

I think this might be an example where location makes a difference. I'm looking at a contract from a house I bought in California (not a current transaction, so the wording may have changed on the current form), and it says:

"By the end of the time specified, buyer shall deliver to seller a removal of the applicable contingency or cancelation of this agreement."

This reads to me that the time period expiring without a contingency removal or cancelation puts the buyer in breach, but does not remove the contingency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 02:26 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
I think this might be an example where location makes a difference. I'm looking at a contract from a house I bought in California (not a current transaction, so the wording may have changed on the current form), and it says:

"By the end of the time specified, buyer shall deliver to seller a removal of the applicable contingency or cancelation of this agreement."

This reads to me that the time period expiring without a contingency removal or cancelation puts the buyer in breach, but does not remove the contingency.
I am not a lawyer and it’s not our contract but my reading of that is the buyer can choose to remove the contingency or cancel the contract. It is BUYER'S contingency, not seller's. Is there a next sentence that talks about what happens if the buyer does neither of those things? That it naturally expires?

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-07-2021 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
A lot of incorrect info from the peanut gallery here. The blog post is poorly worded IMO, and Diana is correct.
Thanks Brandon!

Quote:
The contract of sale dictates who, when, and why a contract can be terminated, but I've never seen one that allows a seller to unilaterally cancel over a repair request. In most contracts, the buyer may request a repair, and if the seller refuses the repair, the buyer has the OPTION to cancel or proceed as is. Same thing if the appraisal comes in short in most contracts -if the buyer and seller fail to renogaitiate to a mutually agreeable sales price, the buyer has the option to pay the difference or cancel the contract. Seller with title issues is another one where the buyer can choose to wait it out.

Some clauses I've seen that allow the seller to cancel revolve around the buyer not meeting obligations, such as failure to deposit earnest money, begin the loan process, be denied a loan, etc.

I actually had a seller try to pull that garbage one time where we submitted a repair addendum and seller told us no, and that he was cancelling the contract. We forced him to sell it to the buyer "as-is" becuase the buyer still wanted to proceed even without repairs.
I've had our own seller become disenchanted with the process (during covid) and with the buyer, and new maintenance issues that popped up while under contract, and want to cancel. I had to explain that it really didn't work that way... and that IF he wanted to cancel, he may need an attorney, because our contract doesn't allow seller to just change his mind. Buyer may let him out, but it may cost him.... her costs, and other damages. Buyer wanted to close. Seller got past it and closed.

This is important for people to understand. Buyer holds the cards on these contingencies... They are buyer contingencies, not seller contingencies. And it has to be that way. Buyer has to be able to cancel based on the contingency, that's the whole point of a contingency, but the contract does have to depend on a willing seller.

In our career, we've had one seller who requested to cancel after inspections were done where we represented the buyer. Seller just decided they didn't want to move. We talked about it... what to do. Our buyer clients were committed to moving from their place, it had sold. So we negotiated reimbursement for their costs for inspection, but also for rent and added expenses for a couple months until they could find another place. Sometimes getting out can be negotiated for sellers, but it's not without cost or consequence.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-07-2021 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 02:49 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
In our contracts, they'd get their earnest money back, assuming all else is well in the procedure. In some locales, there is non-refundable money.
Thanks! (Sorry... wouldn't let me rep you again!)

Old 04-07-2021, 02:56 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
I would say almost certainly the decision to cancel the contract over inspection items was on the part of the buyer not the seller.
Not in this case. It was the seller who got an over market bid.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:04 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Thanks Brandon!

In our career, we've had one seller who requested to cancel after inspections were done where we represented the buyer. Seller just decided they didn't want to move. Our buyer clients were committed to moving from their place, it had sold. So we negotiated reimbursement for their costs for inspection, but also for rent and added expenses for a couple months until they could find another place. Sometimes getting out can be negotiated for sellers, but it's not without cost or consequence.
Our sellers changed their minds when we bought this house....they were going to move back where they came from before realizing that wasn't feasible; also their grown child lived with them and landed a "dream job" (that she stayed at for 2 years...the entire family can't make up their minds) so they decided to stay. I'm sure without a lawyer that they trusted advising them we would have had major issues with them. If you can believe it they ended up buying a house back in this same neighborhood. And every time I see the husband he tells me they are moving soon....we've been here almost 11 years. Some people....

Old 04-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not in this case. It was the seller who got an over market bid.
That's how it may look but seller doesn't *typically* have that option. They refused and/or negotiated an out and got buyer to cancel. Sellers don't *typically* have the right to cancel contracts simply because they get a better offer.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Our sellers changed their minds when we bought this house....they were going to move back where they came from before realizing that wasn't feasible; also their grown child lived with them and landed a "dream job" (that she stayed at for 2 years...the entire family can't make up their minds) so they decided to stay. I'm sure without a lawyer that they trusted advising them we would have had major issues with them. If you can believe it they ended up buying a house back in this same neighborhood. And every time I see the husband he tells me they are moving soon....we've been here almost 11 years. Some people....

Oh dear!

In our case, We talked about it... what to do, and they decided they didn't want to force the seller to sell... as long as they could get their increased costs covered, they'd be OK.

As an aside, we could have pressed for our commission. We brought a ready and willing buyer, our commission was due. We didn't. We eventually found them another place. But that is another cost to consider, for a seller who just decides to cancel.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:06 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
That's how it may look but seller doesn't *typically* have that option. They refused and/or negotiated an out and got buyer to cancel. Sellers don't *typically* have the right to cancel contracts simply because they get a better offer.
That's not how it was told to me. The buyer did not cancel. The seller did.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:14 PM

143 posts, read 386,081 times
Quote:
Is there a next sentence that talks about what happens if the buyer does neither of those things? That it naturally expires?
I found a copy of a blank one (slightly different revision) online if you're curious (totally understand if you don't feel like wading through another state's contract just for a random forum thread!):

https://asapcashhomebuyers.com/wp-co...or-Version.pdf

On page 6, section 14 covers this topic. I will not copy the entire thing here, but some excerpts that seem relevant:

"The following time periods may only be extended, altered, modified or changed by mutual written agreement. Any removal of contingencies or cancellation under this paragraph by either Buyer or Seller must be exercised in good faith and in writing."

"By the end of the time specified in paragraph 14B(1) (or as otherwise specified in this Agreement), Buyer shall Deliver to Seller a removal of the applicable contingency or cancellation (C.A.R. Form CR or CC) of this Agreement. However, if any report, disclosure or information for which Seller is responsible is not Delivered within the time specified in paragraph 14A, then Buyer has 5 (or ) Days After Delivery of any such items, or the time specified in paragraph 14B(1), whichever is later, to Deliver to Seller a removal of the applicable contingency or cancellation of this Agreement."

"If, by the time specified in this Agreement, Buyer does not Deliver to Seller a removal of the applicable contingency or cancellation of this Agreement, then Seller, after first Delivering to Buyer a Notice to Buyer to Perform (C.A.R. Form NBP), may cancel this Agreement. In such event, Seller shall authorize the return of Buyer's deposit, except for fees incurred by Buyer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate