Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:14 AM

215 posts, read 190,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
With buyers cruising online listings 24/7 these days it's become quite common for them to see a listing before their agent who is probably not in front of a computer all day does. They almost always, like the OP, jump to the stance of I found it first and shouldn't have to pay my agent. I tell my buyers up front that we are working as a team and I set them up with MLS alerts but should they find one before I do, to let me know and I'll jump on it. I also don't use a written buyer's agent agreement and am happy to be fired if things don't work out but I also don't take on a buyer client that doesn't agree to our team concept of searching for properties.
Our agent has a search tool that he set up for us that crawls the MLS listings and send us results. He doesn't do anything but ask us if houses on the list we've already seen will work for us. He also hasn't included listings from the next MLS over after we have asked 3 times. He does get us into homes though since he makes appointments and can open the lock box. We do go to open houses without him.

He also keeps asking about homes with no attached garage when we have said multiple times that an attached garage is mandatory.

Update:
The agent wants to ask the seller directly to pay the fees. If the seller says no, he will drop his fee to 2.5% for us to pay.

I'd still rather work with him and pay him as he has spent time with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 12:17 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
He also hasn't included listings from the next MLS over after we have asked 3 times.
That could be out of his control. It differs by location and is not uniform. There are some outside counties that our local MLS in N. Florida has reciprocal access but not all. For instance, Realtors in my local MLS cannot see the MLS for S. Florida and would have to offer a client a referral instead. One the other hand, our MLS does have an agreement with 4 different MLS in surrounding counties.

As most long term members know, I am no longer an active Realtor but have personal experience as one. What I may experience in FL will often be different in other markets.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:47 PM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Good for you for finding a FSBO and saving a lot of money.
If you don't feel comfortable filling out the standard forms by yourself hire an attorney who has no interest in doing anything but representing you. Actually, if you do use a salesperson, it is wise to still have an attorney monitor them and it is more cost effective.
With no contract, you owe the salesperson nothing so go ahead and brush him off as nothing but an unnecessary expense.

Good Advice!

We have purchased real estate where all parties involved used only attorneys and a title company. The cost was minimally compared to real estate company involvement.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:30 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post

Update:
The agent wants to ask the seller directly to pay the fees. If the seller says no, he will drop his fee to 2.5% for us to pay.

I'd still rather work with him and pay him as he has spent time with us.
Hope it works out. Seems a reasonable approach to me. He might be willing to drop that fee lower if that % plus your down payment becomes too excessive. Something is almost always better than nothing.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As was said above.... With almost everything going directly to public websites now.... "Finding the house" isn't difficult or the most important part of the process.

Clients who can sit and browse all day often "find" houses first. Good! Call me with it... I"ll look it up! I don't usually have time to watch the MLS all day. They do... I get it... I was once a home buyer too. But I don't send homes directly to them without screening them first, and they often "find" houses before I do that seem like a good deal but either won't finance, are in a bad location that floods, or otherwise don't meet the criteria they set.

Finding a property first isn't the highest and best reason to use an agent. My most important job sometimes is advising clients why they shouldn't buy something.

Finding the house is the first part of a long process we need to walk through to get to closing.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate