Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:58 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I did a search and did not find anything about this.

We are needing to replace a dishwasher, and possibly a stove, in a house that we will eventually (possibly within 5 or so years) sell in order to downsize.

We now have a white refrigerator, black dishwasher, and almond stove. lol It's a long story, which I won't bore you all with.

So, I hear white appliances are coming back into fashion. It seems to me that black's popularity is waning, and people who have stainless steel hate the fingerprints (I do know there is a kind that won't show fingerprints, but in looking at appliances in Lowe's and Home Depot, it seems that it is not common yet).

So my question in a nutshell is....what color dishwasher should I buy with an eye toward future resale value? (Keep in mind that I already have a white fridge and may have to replace the stove also in the not-so-distant future.) I saw a pic with colored cabinets and white appliances and kinda liked it, myself. The cabinets in this house would definitely need to be repainted by new owners who wanted to update the kitchen, and I don't see the trend toward colored cabinets going away anytime soon.
Assuming the (white) refrigerator is the newest go with white, unless there is a concerted plan to update ALL of them in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 02:51 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
White is an interesting color.
It is the color of the cheapest appliances. For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-in...DMWW/306258315 for $476.
It is the color of expensive appliances. For example: https://www.mieleusa.com/e/30-inch-c...ite-10752070-p for $6300.

For a dishwasher, I would get Bosch with a 3rd rack and crystal dry. 800 Series for list price of $1200.
People focus on color and ignore finish. Stainless is a color that also implies a finish. They don't say "I want light brown floors" they say "I want oak hardwood floors." They don't say "I want a white shower," given that white can mean an inexpensive fiberglass shower insert or expensive custom tile or marble.

The finish on a high end white appliance is different than what I think of when I think of a white (or black) appliance like what was common through the 90's and early 2000's.

I have about the cheapest stainless dishwasher and a much more upmarket Kitchenaid refrigerator (also stainless) and the stainless looks the same on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
white has been around for even longer, so is it passe yet?

Stainless has been around for decades and anyone who thinks it's "trendy" and is going to go out of style is delusional, it's one of the three standard appliance colors.
It's about as passe and trendy as hardwood floors, or white porcelain toilets/sink basins.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,069,824 times
I have a custom home and I purchased stainless steel appliances. I don’t like white over the years it yellows. Black is blah too me. I have white cabinets and quartz countertops, stainless just looks right in this kitchen

Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,587,704 times
I think white appliances look terrible.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-27-2021 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think white appliances look terrible.
To me, they kind of scream "I'm a rental!" unless the entire color scheme harmonizes.

We bought a house in 1995 that had white appliances. It also had beautiful white lacquer cabinetry and countertops, which visually opened up the small space that was the kitchen.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:56 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
To me, they kind of scream "I'm a rental!" unless the entire color scheme harmonizes.

We bought a house in 1995 that had white appliances. It also had beautiful white lacquer cabinetry and countertops, which visually opened up the small space that was the kitchen.
I think this really is the crux, it's not so much the colour of the appliance, it's how it fits in overall. Any colour can look good or completely out of place depending on what the rest of the kitchen looks like. It doesn't seem unreasonable to argue that it's not really the colour preferences of appliances per say that changes over time, it's really our preferences for overall kitchen aesthetics that change and then force the colour of the appliances to then change.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:57 AM

65 posts, read 41,014 times
A $200 dishwasher will not affect resale value.

Not a fan of black appliances

Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,012,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Personally, I prefer the stainless steel appliances. Many appliance stores sell sets at a discount with the same color/style. What I or you prefer can vary greatly. Most buyers will replace certain appliances if they don't like the existing ones when they buy a home from my experience as a prior Realtor who sold homes for almost 5 years.
Agreed. Stainless would be my choice. I feel like it ages well since it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb regardless of your kitchen colors (cabinets, etc.)

Old 07-28-2021, 09:46 AM

654 posts, read 632,644 times
I would lean toward flesh colored appliances.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:15 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I would lean toward flesh colored appliances.
The "Ed Gein Collection"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate