Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 07:27 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Would you, as a landlord, think it is OK if your tenant's large guard dog with a very loud bark, viciously barks at all of your other tenants, every time they go past the dog's door or window, or stand on the property, near the dog's door? .........

As a landlord, I will look into barking complaints. If the complaints are justified, I will counsel the dog owner. If the owner refuses to train the dog, I will kick the tenant out.

I am careful about which dogs I allow into my rentals and have never had a barking complaint from neighbors.

I need to point out that OP is not a tenant and OP does not have a landlord to complain to, so a written complaint to the landlord is not a solution to the barking problem. Also, the owner of the barking dog is most likely an owner and not a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Should note I'm currently try to record nuisance neighbor sounds and it's not as easy as it seems especially background or environmental noises.
I tried to record my neighbors loud music with my phone, while standing at the back of my yard, and it still sounded muffled. In reality, I can hear it perfectly fine while inside my house with the windows closed, but I could not duplicate that in a recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It's been my experience that you're spinning your wheels going to the authorities, or complaining to the neighbor about a barking dog. All you're going to accomplish is making your neighbor mad.
This is typically the case. There seem to be so many people who have either never had to actually deal with a bad neighbor, or they've all gotten really lucky in having neighbors like Mr. Rogers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Had a neighbor behind me with a dog that barked non stop all day/night, especially if I was in my backyard. 1AM. 5AM. 10AM. 2PM. 6PM. 9PM. I couldn’t walk in my backyard without it barking. Sit outside on the patio enjoying a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning? Forget it! Barking non stop until I went inside. Go out and throw away the trash? Forget it! Barking non stop! I was a prisoner in my own home and my backyard basically became useless! Almost lost my sanity.
This was the ONE time I was able to talk to someone and we tried to work it out. Small rental house behind me, they had come from a large remote property. Huge dog that was used to being outside while the owner was at work. As soon as she drove away, the dog would howl. Alllllll day long, until the car appeared around the corner. I asked the dog owner and she had no idea the dog did this. She asked the next door neighbors and they said sure the dog made a little noise, but it didn't bother them (they had dogs and kids so a lot of noise there anyway). We had a Sony camcorder and I was able to video the dog. Once she saw that, she contacted the landlord and we all agreed to try a fence (which he paid for). The fence didn't work because the dog wasn't howling at me or anyone else, he was simply howling when his owner drove away. She only lived there about a year but it was pretty rough as she worked pretty long hours, and I worked 2 jobs myself so I slept any time I could.

OP - I wish you luck!

Old 12-12-2021, 10:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but have you even spoken to the neighbor yet about this?
Yes, I already spoke to them. They don't seem inclined to be good neighbors.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:37 AM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Easy to say, but what might that entail? (No pun intended)
Some people once moved into the house directly across the street from me. Their idea of landscaping was to bring in some junk cars and stake out a couple of barking pitbulls. Surrounding neighbors complained, I complained, but to no avail. I live in tornado alley and watched the pitbulls go completely nuts when the town ran its weekly siren test. I bought one of these sirens, aimed it toward their house, and fired it up every time the dogs barked. It worked like a charm. The dogs were moved permanently inside the house, and the neighbors even moved out a few months after that.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Why do you need to record the barking?

Can't you call the police with a noise complaint?

The landlord can't come to your apartment to listen for him or herself?

If I were a landlord, I wouldn't permit a tenant to allow their dog to bark all day. I'd evict. If the landlord doesn't care about that, you got a bigger problem than a barking dog. Jus' sayin'.

Call the cops. Keep calling them. We have laws against this type of noise pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate