Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 12:35 PM

35,177 posts, read 31,503,474 times

Advertisements

FOMO.

High prices makes people feel like they need to get in now before prices spiral even higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 12:46 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,448,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's probably a little more complicated than it sounds, but there is a firm in Toronto who has bought up 30,000 single family homes (That's not a typo - 30,000) in the south and are renting them out.
That's where the homes went.
They raise the rent because and when they can.
https://god.dailydot.com/toronto-lan...nnials-houses/
That has been happening in Sacramento County too, investors snatched up SFH's until they owned thousands of them, they own so many that in some areas and set the rent for all SFH rentals

Old 04-01-2022, 12:50 PM

13,123 posts, read 7,600,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My suggestion to people is that it's better to be in the game than out of the game. If you can't afford to buy a single family house right now, then buy a townhouse or a condo. Buy in a middle class area. You will build equity over time and it is likely to turn out to be a good investment over the long term.

I own my primary residence and 2 investment properties. That is the way I started (really small).
DS bought a townhouse in Seattle in 2014 (2007 build) and is now renting it at $1000 above his PITI.
He's using the rent to help cover his new home that he is splitting the cost with his GF of 3 years. And his share is less than his payment of his previous home PITI where he didn't allow GF to pay but he did allow GF to pay recurring costs as gas, electric, internet, food, etc.
His current home, they paid 25%+ over stated listing. They beat out 15 other full price and above offers.
YMMV

Old 04-01-2022, 12:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,081,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
FOMO.

High prices makes people feel like they need to get in now before prices spiral even higher.
Insanity! If everyone would stop paying these prices for three months, it would help. Your property is only worth what a buyer will close on it for, so stop over-paying.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:32 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,786,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
FOMO.

Reminds me of internet-stocks in 1999.

Given expectations that prices tomorrow will be even higher than today, potential sellers are holding off. They get $1.2M now, when you can get $1.4M next fall? Thus the constrained supply. But what if buyers finally decide, one glorious and mild spring afternoon, that prices are just a tad too high? Then sellers will rush to sell before, it's too late... whereupon we fairly ask, what happens to prices?

Prices rise and rise and rise, until one day, they don't.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:35 PM

13,123 posts, read 7,600,830 times
^Sharpydove
Not possible in wealthy Seattle area.
Tech is still hiring aggressively. RSUs are being cashed out after a long bull run.Amazon forced to give raises to large swarths of their tech people just to stay competive and stop employees from jumping.
Land constraints. Highways and parking issues.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:14 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,684,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Reminds me of internet-stocks in 1999.

Given expectations that prices tomorrow will be even higher than today, potential sellers are holding off. They get $1.2M now, when you can get $1.4M next fall? Thus the constrained supply. But what if buyers finally decide, one glorious and mild spring afternoon, that prices are just a tad too high? Then sellers will rush to sell before, it's too late... whereupon we fairly ask, what happens to prices?

Prices rise and rise and rise, until one day, they don't.

There’s been a run up in prices since basically the summer of 2020. If anyone hasn’t sold by now I find it hard to believe they will be willing to sell if/when prices drop. They’ve had plenty of time to decide. Using myself as an example, I have a multi-family rental property that I’m itching to sell but my wife doesn’t think it’s worth it for the price we think we would get for it today. So we will hold it and see how high prices go over the next year or two. If they stall or drop we’ll just hold it long term and continue to build equity. It’s really a win/win the way I see it.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:34 PM

10,999 posts, read 22,047,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
My secret is out. Might as well confess that I slide them under the window gasket on the driver's door rather than the wiper and that tourist motels get more bang for the effort than Walmart. Publix parking lot is another target-rich environment.
Speaking of Target...luxury homeowners. I usually avoid the 1 K-Mart in my market that's still open though.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:36 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,712,356 times
We get a report every month on housing in our town. To date we have had the exact same amount of house sales as the same period last year. The trend here for the last 6 months is the asking prices are still going up but the actual selling prices have been declining. The active listings are about half as many now as last year.

We are looking to move to the Oregon coast and have been watching prices there for a few years. The prices are a lot higher but mirror the results here otherwise.

Last edited by sam812; 04-01-2022 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 07:24 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,786,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
... The active listings are about half as many now as last year.
This is the part that baffles me the most. With springtime afoot, and the Pandemic in most cases abated, why are would-be sellers so reluctant to list their houses? In other words, with for-sale inventory being so low, the market gets further distorted... buyers are chasing a dwinding supply of houses, prices rise (supply/demand), the market gets more frothy, buyers get more desperate, and so on. Dutch tulips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate