Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 01:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

You don't even have to look at the history to spot a flip house; just look at the gray walls, stainless steel appliances, and cheap plastic "whitewashed" flooring. It's a dead giveaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 04:33 PM

81 posts, read 46,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You don't even have to look at the history to spot a flip house; just look at the gray walls, stainless steel appliances, and cheap plastic "whitewashed" flooring. It's a dead giveaway.

So true. Sad to see what was done to some of those old Craftsmans.

Sometimes I wish they would just leave the house alone and let a buyer restore /or upgrade according to person's taste.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:39 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampleapricots View Post
Sometimes I wish they would just leave the house alone and let a buyer restore /or upgrade according to person's taste.
ALL the time.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:31 AM

377 posts, read 274,376 times
The cost to purchase a home just doubled from last year. Waiting for the "bubble" to burst has not been working out.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mortg...100514615.html

Old 06-15-2022, 12:06 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
The cost to purchase a home just doubled from last year. Waiting for the "bubble" to burst has not been working out.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mortg...100514615.html
How's sales looking?

Old 06-15-2022, 01:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampleapricots View Post
So true. Sad to see what was done to some of those old Craftsmans.

Yes, we “lucked out” by buying (several years ago now) a house being sold by the adult children of the owner, who was elderly. It appears no one wanted to put much effort into it, so they had serious things repaired, but otherwise there was very little upgrading done. This was exactly what we were looking for… something that was basically a cosmetic fixer-upper. Not only did that mean that they didn’t price it at a premium, and we could choose our own finishes, but also it didn’t give them a chance to conceal problems.

In addition to the all-grey everything trend (done these day by both true flippers, and long-time owners looking to increase “value,”) I see a lot of places with new “shiplap” on the walls and ceilings (or paneling on the ceilings) and I always wonder what is lurking behind those things. This is in New England where a lot of the housing stock is old. It bothers me to think I’d have to break through some hard cosmetic layer to fix anything, and old problems would just disappear with this application.

Not to mention the fact that true flippers and other misguided owners are permanently destroying the character of old houses around here. The “New Englander” style house from the late 1800s to early 1900s is particularly prevalent, and all of a sudden it’s almost impossible to find one with the original layout.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I always look at the house history of buying and selling. If I see the owner bought and sold 2 years later it usually indicates a flip. Not by itself, but you can tell looking at the house that everything has been refreshed. I have no interest in buying into one of those situations.
Same. The one thing I am suddenly seeing now, though (as I predicted) is a bunch of houses purchased early in the pandemic by urban/suburban refugees being put back on the market. None of these appear to have been improved in any significant way since purchase. I live in a rural but not particularly remote part of northern New England which became extremely popular when people started working from home. Well, turns out some people don’t like freezing cold winters and it is, in fact, too rural and remote for a lot of people.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:16 PM

11,462 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I always look at the house history of buying and selling. If I see the owner bought and sold 2 years later it usually indicates a flip. Not by itself, but you can tell looking at the house that everything has been refreshed. I have no interest in buying into one of those situations.

The house that we bought last was a retirement home built by the couple we bought it from. Because they thought it would be their final house, they did a very good job on the building and most things on the property. Our well is extra deep, it is super well insulated,etc.
Well done! Pun intended.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,364,364 times
Fed just raised rates .75 points ... that's gonna have an impact.

Inside of 5yrs, our house has seen a price swing of $1M ... this nonsense needs to stop.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:31 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Yep, I live in a house since 2017 before all this nonsense started! I hope the housing market crashes in six months so people can afford houses again! (I don't care if my house goes down in value, it's already over inflated in value).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate