Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 AM

58 posts, read 200,202 times

Advertisements

We found a house we liked and our realtor put through a verbal offer which the seller accepted. He said all he has to do is draw up the contracts and we can give him a check for earnest money. About how long should this take? The house we are looking at is in NJ. We are first timers so I am not sure if we are being unreasonable but I am worried about his responsiveness. Any ideas of a normal time frame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I don't think you should have to wait at all - as soon as the seller "accepted" your realtor should have drawn up the paperwork right then and there.

How long has it been?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I don't think you should have to wait at all - as soon as the seller "accepted" your realtor should have drawn up the paperwork right then and there.

How long has it been?
5 days We have everything nedded. Checks, paperwork for mortgage just waiting for the contracts.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Oh, there's no way that is right - have you asked your agent what's going on? In NC it takes maybe an hour to write up a contract and sign/initial everywhere.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Oh, there's no way that is right - have you asked your agent what's going on? In NC it takes maybe an hour to write up a contract and sign/initial everywhere.
No explanation just that they had to get them done and she would get back to us once they were. And although we dont have a buyers agreement with her because she showed us the house we are stuck.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
You are not stuck. Based on what you have said, the Realtor is not acting in your best interests. This "potential transaction"(nothing in writing) seems to have been mishandled from the beginning. You can get another Realtor without the current one you are using being due any commission, if that is what you want to do. All you have to do is communicate(verbally and in writing) to them and their broker in charge why you do not want to use them and that you will be using another Realtor. I've been involved in real estate for twenty eight years and I can't think of one instance(or a legitimate reason why) when a Realtor took longer than one day to get all of their paperwork done for a contract offer. At the very least, your Realtor should realize that a verbal offer and acceptance is meaningless, and it is up to them to get something in writing as soon as possible. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
You are not stuck. Based on what you have said, the Realtor is not acting in your best interests. This "potential transaction"(nothing in writing) seems to have been mishandled from the beginning. You can get another Realtor without the current one you are using being due any commission, if that is what you want to do. All you have to do is communicate(verbally and in writing) to them and their broker in charge why you do not want to use them and that you will be using another Realtor. I've been involved in real estate for twenty eight years and I can't think of one instance(or a legitimate reason why) when a Realtor took longer than one day to get all of their paperwork done for a contract offer. At the very least, your Realtor should realize that a verbal offer and acceptance is meaningless, and it is up to them to get something in writing as soon as possible. Good luck.
I may have to do that because we do not want to lose this house and I wouldnt blame the seller to take another offer at this point thinking we changed our mind. Any suggestions on how to find their broker in charge. All her website listings have no information, even the site for her company only lists her information. Should I contact the seller and explain? If I do send something in writing should that be handled a certain way ie certified mail and do I need to wait a response.

I am also frustrated because we wanted a 30 day closing. We have every piece of paperwork required. She said cant be done because it rushes everything too much. Seeing that the house is empty at the moment and such I was wondering if that was a load of bull as well.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
I would contact the listing broker. Then I would go to or call the agency and find out who the broker is. As a seller I would think you changed your mind after that much time has passed. good luck!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodeca30 View Post
I am also frustrated because we wanted a 30 day closing. We have every piece of paperwork required. She said cant be done because it rushes everything too much. Seeing that the house is empty at the moment and such I was wondering if that was a load of bull as well.
A thirty day close is definitely doable. I should be closing (knock on wood) on my next house 24 days after the sellers accepted my offer.

I guess if this agent normally takes 5+ days to write a contract, it's not surprising he thinks 30 day closes are too hard.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
You have nothing in writing... a binder, nothing? If you can't find any broker information on the company website then she probably is the broker.
I don't remember if NJ is an attorney state, but even if it is, there would be a binder/offer form that would be acknowledged by the seller.
Go to another Realtor®.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate