Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times

Advertisements

I guess the consensus is it is probably better to err on the side of comfort level for the prospective buyer. Like I said, we don't mind vacating the house at all, the dogs are good in the car, and if we are going to clean like crazy might as well show the house at it's very best..

It's just hard being out in the car with the dogs for 1 or 2 hours now that it is so hot (108 today)...either driving around with them, or sitting with the engine running for the a/c, still uses the gas. Wasnt so bad when it was cooler, took the paper out with me, water for the dogs and snacks, kind of a picnic, but it's too freakin hot right now...

But we will do it again...our dogs aren't the best behaved in the yard even with us out back with them (3 of them gets overwhelming to strangers)...and its hotter sitting outside than in the car, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Yesterday my agent told me she currently has a house listed (for months) that is getting few showings. Few people come to the open houses. The sellers won't leave the house (not even during an open house) AND they're heavy smokers AND they have a big dog. They have ashtrays (full) all over the place. They already purchased another home which they are moving to next week, and the agent can't wait for them to leave so she can clean up the place, air it out.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
First, let me say that I NEVER said that I wouldn't leave the house during a showing. I was merely pointing out that sometimes things happen and people have to understand that. I have bad arthritis in my hips and knees....do you expect me to go out and walk around for 2 hours, including up and down the hill to get into our house and also the development, because YOU blocked my car in when you arrived 10 minutes after your agent called and I hadn't had time to leave yet??? Although if I ever had to be there, I would definately stay out of their way and not say a word unless they asked. THAT is common courtesy. Which was basically in reply to the definately snarky comment about having the courtesy to leave them alone to look like they pleased. This person doesn't sound very understanding about anything, and I would have severe concerns about dealing with that person in any sale. Even the nicest people can become totally nasty, demanding and unbearable during the buying and selling of a house, much less start out that way.

Second, if someone showed up with a whole passel of little kids, I would be extremely nervous having them in the house with only the agent there. The agent's job is to show you the house and its features and benefits, NOT to be a babysitter for YOUR kids! I have seen too many cases of people who let their kids run wild anywhere they want (stores, parks.....and yes, other people's homes) and do anything they want and not correct them. NOW PLEASE DON'T come back and say "but my kids don't do that".....yes, I know not all are like that, but frankly I don't need a small kid getting into the cabinet below my kitchen sink with cleaning supplies in it, or into any of my cabinets that have my own personal stuff in them or running up and down my steps and falling.....I do NOT need a lawsuit on top of everything else. (Yes, I still have "stuff" in my house, because, HORRORS, I actually STILL have to live there!!!). And yes, I do have a daughter, who is now older........and by the way, she just told me this morning that her boss wants to meet me because she said I did a VERY good job in raising my daugher!!

I was merely pointing out that yes, it is definately better to not be there, and I will always do my utmost best to be out of there, courtesy IS a two way street and things will go a lot better and easier if parties on BOTH sides are a little understanding and not so arrogantly demanding!!

As far as telling the agent things to tell potential buyers, cripes I can't even get mine to make sure that the realtor.com listing is correct much less anything else! Although we have told her some things, I know she probably hasn't remembered all of them (not sure that I would if I had 30-40 listings), which is why I put together a very large notebook with my home's features as well as all the operating manuals, etc. that we have for the house. And a copy of our pre-listing inspection with information on the fixes we have done. I have done everything I can, plus some to help this listing, but there are still quirks that the buyer's will want to know and I would be more than willing to talk to with them if they ask.

So yes, I agree that the seller should be out if at all possible, but please be understanding and have some courtesy as well.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
All this reminds me of a listing I turned down last year ...

A home near where I live had been for sale with a different agent and then for sale by owner for EVER. (Average market time then was about 90 days.)

One day I got a call from the owner who asked me to drop off more info about myself, marketing plan, brokerage, etc. Sure no problem.

She called me back and said they wanted to list with me but wanted to make some things clear in the beginning ...

1. Not only would she not leave the house, she would be the ONLY one to show potential buyers the home. After all, she knew better than anyone the benefits to her home.

2. Do not ask her to "de-clutter" - she was a professional decorator. (The home had beautiful decor but A LOT of it and definitely needed decluttering.)

3. Do not present anything other than a full price offer. They knew what their home was worth more than any agent. (The price they wanted to list at was at minimum $50K over was comps showed.)

I polietly declined the listing.

This was over a year ago. I believe their home has been on the market a total of 3 1/2 years now.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
Chuckity
ROTF....I know where quite a few perpetual for sale houses are!!

Brookdaleresident-
why did the agent even take the listing if it was that nasty? If were her, I'd relieve MYSELF of it.

Some sellers haven't a clue...........

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I absolutely do not want owners home when I look at a house to buy - I want to sit on the couch, envision my furniture in the room, feel free to freely comment on the house without engaging the owners in some long conversation (or hurting their feelings)....I also know within about 2 minutes if a house might work for us - if I feel it won't, I'm out of there and on to the next house - an awkward thing to do if the ownes are there.

There is plenty of time to meet the sellers - we (sellers) met the new buyers of our house (out on the front lawn) when they arrived with their agent and the inspector for their hown inspection...we had a nice talk before we left and I'm sure we will see them for the final walk-through as well.

One true story that our agent told us that happened to him - he was selling a home and the owners insisted on being there during the home inspection (our agent says this is a big no-no). The 2 owners and their agent were standing in the living room. The new buyers, their agent and the inspector came in and they were all talking. The new buyer (wife) looks around the living room and says "there are 6 people in this room and look how crowded and small it is - this isn't the house for us" - and the deal fell through!

Wonderful Post!

If everyone would just do their aboslute best in this market to sell their homes and just not risk it.

We want our neighborhs home to sell and we keep our yard pristine for their sake and sometimes I wonder if some sellers ever watch HGTV or any of the other shows to just get ideas on what they can do to either attract buyers or sell their homes.

Some people on this board are adamant that being in their homes is okay. I would never ever purchase a home from anyone who didn't give me the privacy of looking through the home. I'd run. That is a potential sale. Same goes if I ever tried to sell my homes, I'd bend over backwards to make the sell. Every realtor I've ever worked w/ has given us the freedom to wander around a home and check every nook and cranny and if a buyer was in a home I wouldn't have that comfort. We have had inspections and negotiating processes that have gotten personal and ugly, therefore not a good idea to meet the buyer.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
"I would never ever purchase a home from anyone who didn't give me the privacy of looking through the home. I'd run. That is a potential sale."

Prinny, never say never, or you could miss the best opportunity of your life. If you somehow knew that someone was going to be in their home during a showing, or get there and they are home, maybe you should have you agent inquire as to the situation, before automatically assuming you will not have any 'privacy' or whatever your issue is. There could be a very valid reason they are there and it may not be that they what to follow you around and "snap at your heels". What if someone had a newborn infant...should they have to go out in inclement weather or wouldn't it be okay if they sat quietly in a rocker with the baby? What if someone is in the midst of chemo treatments and it is all they can do to sit up straight on the sofa, while you look around the home they are having to sell in order to pay medical bills.God forbid you should ever be in a situation that it just isn't feasbile for you to be out during a showing, even if you truly wanted to.
Granted there are sellers who are royal pains in the butt...but their agents should take the proverbial bull by the horns and lay down the law on 'seller etiquette' or else drop the listing if it is creating showing issues.

IMO HGTV is highly over rated. You just can't help some people and a lot of those shows are out in left field as far as practicality and reality.
And gusess what? Homes were selling way long before TV tried to help!!

I think a lot of it goes back to the listing agent and how they prepare and interact with thier clients. Does the agent just want a listing? Or do they want to aid in selling a house? Just because an agent has a lot of listings don't mean squat.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I guess the consensus is it is probably better to err on the side of comfort level for the prospective buyer. Like I said, we don't mind vacating the house at all, the dogs are good in the car, and if we are going to clean like crazy might as well show the house at it's very best..

It's just hard being out in the car with the dogs for 1 or 2 hours now that it is so hot (108 today)...either driving around with them, or sitting with the engine running for the a/c, still uses the gas. Wasnt so bad when it was cooler, took the paper out with me, water for the dogs and snacks, kind of a picnic, but it's too freakin hot right now...

But we will do it again...our dogs aren't the best behaved in the yard even with us out back with them (3 of them gets overwhelming to strangers)...and its hotter sitting outside than in the car, lol.
So nicely worded Dogmom...........I hope that the new buyers will come and love your home in the first 15 min. I really hope also that the little doggies don't have to wait in the car too long.......its tooooo hot.
I think everyone knows to have their home in the best of shape, in the best of style, and condition........no clutter.
I still like to meet and greet............or see them for a "second" when we return.........it is just comforting for everyone, I've seen it in their eyes.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Yesterday my agent told me she currently has a house listed (for months) that is getting few showings. Few people come to the open houses. The sellers won't leave the house (not even during an open house) AND they're heavy smokers AND they have a big dog. They have ashtrays (full) all over the place. They already purchased another home which they are moving to next week, and the agent can't wait for them to leave so she can clean up the place, air it out.
I'm sitting here laughing to myself that this is probably the one that WILL sell --- smoke, ashtrays, and all!!!! Keep an eye on it for us --- if it does sell maybe we all need to re-think keeping a picture perfect home!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM

188 posts, read 662,967 times
I was so glad that we moved before letting the realtor show our home. We had three cats, including one that was very ill and needed euthanasia before we moved - so there was IV tubing and all sorts of that kind of stuff around - and obviously we could not have packed said cat up in the car very often. Plus we were severe packrats and lousy housekeepers. I admit it! =) We hired professional cleaners the minute we stepped foot out of the house and had the place scrubbed. Cats all on the way across country with us, my poor sick cat at the rainbow bridge (/sniff) and no litterboxes or OUR mess to be seen. House sold in 12 days. Of course the fact that it was cheap and we priced it lower than anyone else helped - but I think it was MUCH MUCH better that we were all gone before even attempting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate