Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM

384 posts, read 2,221,820 times

Advertisements

We have had sooooo many showings and no offers on our house. The biggest complaint we have gotten is our street is too narrow. We live almost in a cul-de-sac and the street does narrow towards that but we have never had any problem with it, and no one across from us parks on the street. All the other feedback we have gotten has been great. Love the house, beautiful house, blah blah blah...

So what can we do since we can't change the width of the street? Is our only option lowering the price so low that it has to sell and we have to give it away?

I think if someone LOVES the house then the street won't matter that much but obviously people can't get past that. I know there was a thread on here about this and lots of people said they wouldn't even consider it if the street was too narrow.

I am at my wits end. We already are the lowest priced house in our neighborhood in our size/number of bedrooms,etc.

I can't take much more cleaning, showing, disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Consider yourself lucky that it's not something worse, such as a major unexpected repair, and move on. With the house I sold last year the most common remark was "wonderfully staged, super clean, but small back yard." Can't do much about that but eventually a buyer came along who thought the size of the back yard was just right. Sooner or later your buyer who's fine with the street will come along.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks, Scuba Steve, I know you are right.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,153 times
Make the price so attractive that it becomes a non issue.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The right buyer will come along who doesn't care about the width of the street. Hang in there.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
We have had sooooo many showings and no offers on our house. The biggest complaint we have gotten is our street is too narrow. We live almost in a cul-de-sac and the street does narrow towards that but we have never had any problem with it, and no one across from us parks on the street. All the other feedback we have gotten has been great. Love the house, beautiful house, blah blah blah...

So what can we do since we can't change the width of the street? Is our only option lowering the price so low that it has to sell and we have to give it away?

I think if someone LOVES the house then the street won't matter that much but obviously people can't get past that. I know there was a thread on here about this and lots of people said they wouldn't even consider it if the street was too narrow.

I am at my wits end. We already are the lowest priced house in our neighborhood in our size/number of bedrooms,etc.

I can't take much more cleaning, showing, disappointment.
Since you can't change the negative, be prepared with some well thought out positives in response. For example, drivers tend to slow down on narrow streets, burglars tend to target houses with easy escape routes, not cul-de-sacs, children tend to play in their yard more, not in the street, etc. I know it isn't perfect, but it may distract the buyer's focus on only the negative.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I am having a hard time trying to figure this one out, street width is generally set by the town for safety minimums. Can firetrucks make it to your part of town? Is it so narrow that even with that you cannot just drive around? Do you have a garage or any kind of off-street parking? I wonder if there is really not some kind of interaction with the neighbors having a bunch of cars blocking the streets as you approach so that the potential buyers had to park far away? Maybe your house has some landscaping or driveway issues that could be altered to de-emphasis the negative?
I LIKE streets that are a bit narrower than 'standard' as it tends to discourage people driving through at high speed. If that applies I would then stress "quiet CHILD FRIENDLY" street, LOW TRAFFIC.

Can you maybe post an aerial photo link from google maps or zillow? I am sort of stumped how this would be such a big deal...

Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
We live on a busy street - a pretty street with a big parkway with large trees and grass in the middle -- but a busy street. When our house was for sale, many potential buyers would not even look at the house because of the street. But along came several buyers who loved the house and made offers - we finally sold at a good price - just be patient - someone who loves the house despite the street will come along.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Can you maybe post an aerial photo link from google maps or zillow? I am sort of stumped how this would be such a big deal...[/quote]

I am not sure how to do that but I can dm you the mls #

Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I looked at the listing and the developer does seem to have narrowed down some of the streets a bit, but that effects MANY houses so that I would think everyone in that whole section is hit about equally hard.

My gut makes me think that buyers that saw your place just have either decided to sit tight or found something that just seems like a better deal. From where you are at in the asking pricing would be OK to go down like $199,999? If you have to sell that would be next step. If you already have NO competition that has similar number of beds/ baths below you then I am not sure that it makes sense to cut price. Does you agent have info of how many other places in the whole town, not just your subdivision, have sold for less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate