Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM

152 posts, read 432,683 times

Advertisements

The buyer wants everything repaired as outlined/suggested in the inspection report. He has threatened to walk away from the deal if all of the demands are not met.

I think he has gotten cold feet (commitment day is tomorrow) and wants out. Our RE thinks he may be bluffing.

Anyone have experience with this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
What does it say in your contract? Are you required to repair everything? What types of things need repairing and will you have to repair them anyway if this buyer walks and another one comes along? Judging from the posts on this board, most sellers are bending over backwards to keep their buyers happy.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightCellist View Post
The buyer wants everything repaired as outlined/suggested in the inspection report. He has threatened to walk away from the deal if all of the demands are not met.

I think he has gotten cold feet (commitment day is tomorrow) and wants out. Our RE thinks he may be bluffing.

Anyone have experience with this situation?
This should be addressed in your contract. What state are you in? I'm not familiar with the term "commitment day".

What does your RE say? He/she should help you understand the contract.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
A friend of mine just had a similar experience. She agreed to fix some things, but not all. Anything that was obvious to the buyer she didn't fix. Depending on what the items are and the cost, I might do it. If you get another offer, you could possible end up in the same position.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I believe the OP is in PA.

What kinds of repairs are we talking about here? Roof replacement? Boiler replacement? Does the house need to be re-wired?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Sorry, for being late in responding. The situation is still unfolding.

We are in PA. Our RE just said that buyer will walk away with good faith money if we don't agree to his terms.

Big ticket items...new driveway, new front porch, new sidewalks on the side of the home...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Are these safety concerns or just cosmetic? Where I live sidewalks are the city's problem, not the homeowner. Unless these are safety concerns I would be telling this buyer "bye-bye". Easy for me to say, not my house.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Isn't this the purpose of a home inspection? Every home I bought or sold had this type of thing. When I was the seller we would voluntarily fix anything that was a safety hazard (once it was wiring from the a/c) or was just broken (a hot water heater). We did have a buyer ask if we would give them an allowance to replace the roof ---- we said no, it was old but didn't leak. They still bought our house.
Home inspections are a nice back way out of a deal for a buyer but it can also be used to renegotiate. The things you mentioned --- meh, it depends on how 'bad' the porch and driveway are. As for sidewalks......isn't that the cities problem?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Are these safety concerns or just cosmetic? Where I live sidewalks are the city's problem, not the homeowner. Unless these are safety concerns I would be telling this buyer "bye-bye". Easy for me to say, not my house.
I believe they are cosmetic. Only replacing 2 non GFCI outlets is safety.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I'd repair everything that was a safety or code issue - that is it...you don't have to fix anything you don't want to - but be prepared for the buyer to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate