Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Last year we had a commercial property listed with a realtor. The listing expired in sept 2007 with no sales. So fast forward to last week. I get a call from a different realtor who knew our old one and said he had a client who was looking for a property like what we had for sale. He wanted to know if we were still interested in selling. We said yes.

Today the prospective buyer and his realtor came by and looked at the property. He seemed interested and said it would definately work for him.

My question is ; if he does make an offer and we accept ; what about commissions? The price we had it listed last year is higher of course than we expect to sell for. Who would we pay commissions to? We do not have it listed with anyone.

Also we have a tenant living in the property now. Her lease expires in Jan. We were not going to renew the lease anyhow, and we told the buyer that. If we sold mid lease, would we jsut change the names on the lease ; she is a DSS client.

Any ideas would be a big help.

thanks

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Your listing expired long ago, so you owe no loyalty to your previous realtor. If you decide to both use the realtor that is coming by, you should negotiate a better commission, since he would be representing both parties. I wouldn't be in any hurry to lower the price from what it was listed for last year. Let them do the offering, they will try to under cut you anyway, so start where you were.
I would feel out the buyer as to his immediate needs, i.e, does he want to move in right away, or will he work with the lessee until January. You might have to buy the renter out of the lease.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
ask yourself who is doing the work? if the agent is going to do both sides, then you owe him or her the commission for both sides, if you are capable of doing your own, then 1/2 is fine - dont cut your nose off to spite your face, think twice if you want or can take this on.... if so then by all means, if not, then sell it and be done and pay the comm

Old 07-16-2008, 09:05 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
why not pay the realtor that is bringing a hopeful buyer, a commission, ( maybe half the norm?)and then get you a real estate attorney to look over the contract for you? you will save a little then...you could always send the other realtor a thnka you with a NICE diinner or store, or gas, gift card as a thanks for thinking of me

Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
The Realtor® came and showed your property without asking you to sign a commission agreement for that particular customer? Well, there are three things that could be happening...he's getting paid a commission from the buyer, which is not unusual in a commercial property, or the Realtor® is VERY trusting, or the Realtor® is a fool.

As for the lease, generally the lease survives the sale and it would be up to the new owner & tenant to renew the lease. The other possibility is to buy the tenant out of their lease.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 PM

631 posts, read 2,446,174 times
Ditto to Palmcoasting and I'm usually the trusting fool doing stuff like that.
I've got to stop that!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggesstions. Nope ; we did not sign anything on Tuesday. There were two realtors there ; the one that had called me and the realtor for the buyer plus the buyers.

Just waiting and hoping now.

d

Old 07-18-2008, 05:13 AM

So you've got two Realtors® working with no commission agreement signed by you. Neat.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
So you've got two Realtors® working with no commission agreement signed by you. Neat.
I do expect that if there is an offer, the question of commissions will come up.

d

Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Yeah, well, in a perfect world that is not when the question is supposed to come up. It's *supposed* to clarified before the showing so everyone knows where they stand and know how to write the offer up to begin with. Technically you would owe them nothing. I'm sure you aren't thinking that way and I fully respect you for it but it's a fool of a Realtor® that does not clear that up before showing the property. Then again, like I said, with commercial property it is not unusual for the buyer to be paying the fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate