Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 26,299 times

Advertisements

I email my realtor of Saturday asking if there had been any showings and he replies on Tuesday. When I bring up his repeated pattern of taking days to respond whether it is voice mail or email, he tell me that respond within a reasonable amount of time. The house has been on the market for 23 days and he has yet to put out the flyers. He refuses to have an open house or put additional photos on Realtor.com. I have had it with him. I can't go to the broker and complain because he is the broker.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
When you met and signed the documents, did you go over your expectations? You can ask the office to set up showings and call you so that the house will be ready. If the house is vacant, the office can still call you. Some agents are better than others at giving feedback, that is out of your agent's control.

I always ask my new client, how, how often and which method do you want to communicate by. We have a clear understanding that sometimes I'm busy with other clients and can't get back to them within minutes, but the same day is reasonable.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 PM

I am a completely understanding person about being busy with other clients. However I feel that the same day or the next morning is reasonable. I am a novice and his spiel sounded good to me. I expected that since he was the office broker that he would be a professional. So I did not ask him if it would take him days to answer voice mails or emails. And I did not get an exact date in writting about when the flyers would be out. I honestly never imagined that I should have had deadlines about putting out flyers or returning messages into the contract.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
I'm not beating you up, these are things I cover with potential clients because I know that not every agent is good about follow up. In your case, I would contact the agent and set up a meeting to go over strategy going forward since you can't change the past. In that meeting get a definitive schedule for all the marketing that was discussed and also voice your concerns about his availability. Perhaps he has an assistant who can work with you or perhaps another agent in his office.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM

30 posts, read 185,652 times
Responding within 24 hours is reasonable. If he's the broker, he sure isn't setting a good example for his agents to follow. On the other hand, open houses are a waste of time for the seller. Most people show up just for the free food and drink. As for the flyers, they should be placed there within 24 hours also. I personally don't like to deal with people who are too busy for me! If you are so unhappy ask him to assign you another realtor. Unfortunately, he will still get a referral fee when your home sells.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
It also depends on - Was he out of town for the weekend ?

Sometimes agents try to have a life, we have family & an occasional vacation. If you had an needed him quickly could you not call him on his cell?

There have been times where I've worked all day showing houses on Saturday, taken Sunday off then returned to business Monday morning. If you sent me an email late Saturday it may not be answered till Monday morning. Tuesday is a little late but Monday morning would be reasonable

One thing some people don't realize is that many agents do try & take Sunday off. Working 6 days a week is pretty tough and a day of rest is very much needed. There are a few agents who even go to church & still believe in the Sabbath.

Now with that said if his other service sucks, fire the guy.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM

I just wrote a formal complaint letter to Century 21 corp. My position is that if he has a pattern of taking days to respond, and in a tough market I need a professional who is willing to put the effort to respond to potential buyers. With his history how am I ever to believe that he would respond to potential buyers any differently than he does to me?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschwar View Post
I email my realtor of Saturday asking if there had been any showings and he replies on Tuesday. When I bring up his repeated pattern of taking days to respond whether it is voice mail or email, he tell me that respond within a reasonable amount of time. The house has been on the market for 23 days and he has yet to put out the flyers. He refuses to have an open house or put additional photos on Realtor.com. I have had it with him. I can't go to the broker and complain because he is the broker.
Then why did you hire him? Perhaps it's now time to dehire him.

BTW, if you emailed him on Sat. I would think that as long as he got back within 1 business day that should do.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschwar View Post
Wow what a great broker
Isn't that sopmething to complain about to the board of licensing for realtors and brokers...but you probable will get the same result as I had with the convicted felon that was my realtor...

Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Wow what a great broker
Isn't that sopmething to complain about to the board of licensing for realtors and brokers...but you probable will get the same result as I had with the convicted felon that was my realtor...
What? It's ludicrous to suggest going to board for being slow to return a call. Don't even suggest that this seller waste time on something like that.

Yes, a felon may have slipped through the cracks. There are bad people and liars everywhere. Some are lawyers, doctors, Realtors, owners of FSBO websites. Do you know any liars or people that are slow to return calls in other fields other than RE because I'll bet they are there. What about the con artists that run FSBO websites, know any of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate