Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,633,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
On the house an agent sells...if he is not "selling" your house then obviously he is not getting any money. If they give you feedback and they didn't sell YOUR house to their buyers, then they are giving information to you in a sense for free . or as I said before.. a courtesy.

BTW, I am a seller and I do not EXPECT feedback.
I do believe feedback is extremely helpful, but I do not EXPECT it becuase many people do not know the meaning of common courtesy anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM

314 posts, read 1,231,011 times
Your realtor should just call the other realtor. I do not always reply to my email requests for feedback. After showing dozens of homes in a weekend, I do not always have an extra hour to look through all of my feedback requests when they come in a week later.

In Austin, I can now use my phone to give immediate feedback after a showing. I normally do this, and I still get the generic requests for feedback. Which is just plain annoying when I already gave my feedback.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,299,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What do you mean money?
You get paid with the commission on the house you sell.

I think gbone is talking about the buyer's agent (and stated as such). The buyer's agent doesn't get paid part of the commission from every house they give feedback on do they? It is an interesting point actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Exactly Roselvr. There is no need to say anymore. Feedback is a courtesy and it is obvious that not all realtors encompass courtesy as a highly valuable business tool. This is unfortunate. With so many slackers nowadays, courtesy is very much they key that makes you stand out from the rest. Of course, I do not mean that all the realtors who have posted here are slackers, but it is obvious who is and who isn't by reading the content of their posts and their overall attitude.
And I can guess your weight, age, and shoe size from reading this post.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:14 PM

314 posts, read 1,231,011 times
The problem is the new automated systems that want you to fill out a questionaire for feedback. If an agent really wants to know what I think, they can give me a call. I think it is just plain lazy for a listing agent to only use their automated system. You get better quality feedback with a phone call.

I may be lazy or discourteous by not filling out a generic form, but really do I need to tell the listing agent that the house smelled bad or was filled with clutter? Then they do call me, and I have to defend my feedback.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,464,656 times
Quote:
I do believe feedback is extremely helpful, but I do not EXPECT it becuase many people do not know the meaning of common courtesy anymore.
It's about boundaries. For me, I would think it is discourteous to expect me to spend my free time, offering selling advice to other clients. If I show 60 homes in one week, and I spent two minutes on each agent offering feedback, I just gave up two hours of my life that week for the privilege of being courteous without getting paid.

Now...if I did that every week, over the course of the year I would have spent 104 hours giving feedback to people and not getting paid. If I made $50 per hour, that means I gave up $5,200 for the courtesy of giving feedback.

This is a business decision. While it seems like peanuts to that one seller, please understand that this is about using our time wisely to benefit our clients and dare I say our business.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
Your realtor should just call the other realtor. I do not always reply to my email requests for feedback. After showing dozens of homes in a weekend, I do not always have an extra hour to look through all of my feedback requests when they come in a week later.

In Austin, I can now use my phone to give immediate feedback after a showing. I normally do this, and I still get the generic requests for feedback. Which is just plain annoying when I already gave my feedback.
I can imagine that the generic feedback requests must get annyoing especially since you already gave your feedback. My point, is that you extended the courtesy regardless of what form you gave it in. Kudos to you!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think gbone is talking about the buyer's agent (and stated as such). The buyer's agent doesn't get paid part of the commission from every house they give feedback on do they? It is an interesting point actually.

And I can guess your weight, age, and shoe size from reading this post.
Okay, that made no sense.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's about boundaries. For me, I would think it is discourteous to expect me to spend my free time, offering selling advice to other clients. If I show 60 homes in one week, and I spent two minutes on each agent offering feedback, I just gave up two hours of my life that week for the privilege of being courteous without getting paid.

Now...if I did that every week, over the course of the year I would have spent 104 hours giving feedback to people and not getting paid. If I made $50 per hour, that means I gave up $5,200 for the courtesy of giving feedback.

This is a business decision. While it seems like peanuts to that one seller, please understand that this is about using our time wisely to benefit our clients and dare I say our business.
However, you can end up making back that $5200.00 and then some if you get more business as a result of being known for your courteous, positive and friendly business practices.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree. Feedback, after a showing, can be very useful to the seller. It can give you an idea of specifics about your home or property that people like or don't like. It can potentially lead you to fix any shortcomings that you may be overlooking. Saying that an offer is sufficient feedback is just an excuse for being lazy and a way of attempting to justify poor business manners. Sorry. As I said, common courtesy speaks volumes.
This implies that the buyer and their agent, who might have spent all of 15 minutes in the house, know its shortcomings, versus the competition, better than the listing agent.

It's the listing agent's job to look at the property through a buyer's eyes, know how the property compares to others in the area/price point and communicate with their client. Instead, some listing agents prefer to not be the ones to sell the homeowner what they need to hear and rely on buyer's agent's to do so.

BTW, I respond to all requests for feedback. Am I the one and only telling the listing agent/homeowner that the 1972 wall paper, in every room, is a huge turn-off?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM

[quote=middle-aged mom;5182645]This implies that the buyer and their agent, who might have spent all of 15 minutes in the house, know its shortcomings, versus the competition, better than the listing agent.

It's the listing agent's job to look at the property through a buyer's eyes, know how the property compares to others in the area/price point and communicate with their client. Instead, some listing agents prefer to not be the ones to sell the homeowner what they need to hear and rely on buyer's agent's to do so.

BTW, I respond to all requests for feedback. Am I the one and only telling the listing agent/homeowner that the 1972 wall paper, in every room, is a huge turn-off?[/quote

You just may be the only one telling them about the wallpaper based on the many saddening responses I have seen here from agents who do not see how common courtesy can benefit them. It's good you are not one of them.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-08-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate