Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times

Advertisements

I got this e-mail from the listing agent (it was forwarded to me by my agent). I made an offer on the house that was signficantly less than full listing price for a number of reasons, but primarily because the sellers are taking many items with them, the home is only a legal 2 bedroom home, and they also want me to pay closing costs.

Quote:
What is your clients justification for lowering the offer 20K. We have 2 other very interested buyers looking this weekend. I don't know why we would accept 20K lower. What the seller is taking with him does not justify this lower amount.

Given the arrogance that my cient experience with your first meeting, my client is not feeling the need to be taken advantage of like this.

I have sent the offer for and estimated Hud but don't beleive I can get my client to sign off. Especially with the interest we have had.

I would suggest you talk with your client and see if this is his final offer. If so we will move on.
Is this status quo for real estate agents? I'm not in the business, but with the recent slowdown in sales and the very weak sellers market, it doesn't seem like a great time to act like this. The home has been on the market for 4 months and my offer was the first one received by the listing agent.

The comments about the "arrogance" I showes is because the owners insisited on being around and providing a home tour to me during my visit. This caught me off guard - I was not expecting to have to visit with the owners. Toward the end of the tour, the owner said she'd let us look around so we could be free to look and comment and in fact she hid outside the front door to listen in to what we said. I didn't realize she was there and probably would have kept my mouth shut had I known she was hiding around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I wouldn't say it's as much whiney as it is not very professional. She could have said it much better such as "thanks for the offer but it's too low. Here's our counter offer"

Quote:
Is this status quo for real estate agents?
No, it's not. Every agent is different and most would have written a better email.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Looking at the spelling, punctuation and syntax of the RE agent's e-mail I would guess this is not the best educated person on earth, either

Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Looking at the spelling, punctuation and syntax of the RE agent's e-mail I would guess this is not the best educated person on earth, either

Agreed.

Did your agent write back and suggest that the listing agent inform his/her client that it is a very bad idea to be present during a showing?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

472 posts, read 1,709,619 times
Emotionalism, manipulative gamesmanship, and persiflage-- the classic hallmarks of a poor agent.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,280 times
Actually, I think it's poor judgment and highly unprofessional to make comments about someone's spelling and punctuation. Perhaps this person knows English as a second language. This does not mean the person is uneducated. We all make mistakes in writing.

Secondly, I don't see how the OP can justify themselves when they were viewed as arrogant, but then pass judgment on the seller for not wanting to accept a lowball offer at this time.

I do agree the realtor was unprofessional and since this whole deal sounds like it was bad from the start, why not just move on a find something else?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
It almost sounds like the agent has a personal interest here. In the least it is very unprofessional and you might be glad if they don't take the offer, so you don't have to deal with them further.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
Communication from sellers agent to buyers agent... why did buyers agent feel a need to pass on this communication, exactly in the form recieved? maybe buyers agent is trying to reinforce that sellers can get upset at low ball offers and refuse to play anymore.... Just an Idea!!

Shelly

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Some years ago when we were looking, I called to inquire about a place. Of course, the one I was interested in was under contract, (please put that on the website!), but the agent tried to steer me to another. I asked key questions, one being about neighborhood noise. I said specifically, 'No barking dogs'. 'Well', she said, 'there is an older man next door with two dogs, but they are well behaved'. I asked if they were kept outside. Again, 'Well.....yes, but they don't bark'. All dogs bark.

Long story short: It was her personal residence she was trying to sell me!!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I was wondering about that, myself (why the buyer's agent felt the need to forward the email as written).

If one takes out the one personal comment, however, and ignores the spelling/grammar errors (which, as stated above, could be due to English being a second language), the information given is that the agent will submit the offer, along with a seller's estimated net sheet, but that the listing agent does not think that the seller will accept the offer as written, and gives the reasons why the listing agent thinks this (the other interest in the property and the fact that the offer is so low). The listing agent also offers the buyer's agent the opportunity to submit justification for such a low offer in the form of comps, something the buyer's agent should perhaps have provided when submitting a lowball offer in the first place in order to strengthen the possibility of it being accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate