Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

Hopefully we will be selling our home and downsizing enough to pay cash
and have no mortgage. How many of the closing costs are releted to the mortgage??? I hope we can avoid alot of fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,756,358 times
Yes, you'll avoid most of the fees.

Basically, you will normally still have 1/2 of closing agent fee, buyers inspection, apprasial (if desired), and maybe title search costs. You will still have taxes when due but you obviously won't have to do impounds on them.

As a cash buyer, you are in a great negotiating position since the home is guaranteed to close if it passes inspection. I'd make the seller pay 100% of closing agent fee since you're not receiving a benefit.

If the seller also doesn't have a mortgage, no need to go to closing agent. Firm handshake, cashier's check or cash, and deed is all you need. Heck, it'd be fun paying cold, hard, cash for a home!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,589 times
Most closing costs for a buyer, in Texas at least, are loan-related. Don't buy a house without a title insurance policy or you could come to find out that the seller really had nothing to sell.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Depending on the municipality, county and state, the buyer may be required to pay tax on the transaction, usually expressed as a % of the price.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 43,009 times
I belive you only need deed, title search/abstract $30-$40 and recoding of Deed at Country Clerk office. Total closing cost for purcahsing house on cash may be less than $100. Do your own home work instead of relying on Real Estate broker. Good luck

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAW View Post
I belive you only need deed, title search/abstract $30-$40 and recoding of Deed at Country Clerk office. Total closing cost for purcahsing house on cash may be less than $100. Do your own home work instead of relying on Real Estate broker. Good luck
1-The post was more than a year old.
2-I'd ballpark at ~$800 around here for the median price range.
3-She was researching herself by asking people who would be in the know. Seems smart to me.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 AM

44 posts, read 124,981 times
we just closed on a cash sale for a townhouse the closing costs were 369 dollars

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,688 times
If you're paying cash for your house, why can't you pay your own closing costs? Unless you're buying a million dollar home, paying your own closing expenses really isn't a big deal....unless you want it just to feel like you're getting a deal. It's NEVER the seller's job to pay for anything except their own expenses. I wish people would get that out of their heads.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
If you're paying cash for your house, why can't you pay your own closing costs? Unless you're buying a million dollar home, paying your own closing expenses really isn't a big deal....unless you want it just to feel like you're getting a deal. It's NEVER the seller's job to pay for anything except their own expenses. I wish people would get that out of their heads.
The OP never said they didn't want to pay their own closing costs, never said it was the seller's job to pay for their closing costs ...

They wanted to know if by paying cash, if their costs would be minimal. That's it.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:12 AM

140 posts, read 542,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Basically, you will normally still have 1/2 of closing agent fee, buyers inspection, apprasial (if desired), and maybe title search costs. You will still have taxes when due but you obviously won't have to do impounds on them.
I've done many cash purchases and rarely pay a closing fee - try negotiating that with the title company.

You will have to pay for title insurance unless buying a foreclosure and closing at the banks title company - then they will usually pay for title insurance.

That really only leaves a recording fee and prorated taxes.

Under $100 in closing costs is not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate