Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,350 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the reasons why not to buy so I thought I would throw in my two cents to the positive aspects of buying a house now.

1. Interest rates are the lowest I have ever seen
2. There are many local grant programs for first time homebuyers.
3. You have to live somewhere. Rents are climbing because of demand.
4. If you buy a house and your friend or relative needs a place to stay with you (and share the cost) you don't have to ask the landlord.
5. In many ways it is easier to buy than to rent. The expense of moving, the increase in rent, the pet deposits, the security deposits and back ground checks, the chances of the owner selling it and getting kicked out.

There are many good deals. Decide where you want to be for the next few years and get an agent to find you a good deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
At least for my local area, I have to dispute #3.

Where I live, the rental market is where the rubber meets the road, and prices are falling sharply to accomodate the lack of demand. Sellers who can't get the price they want are flooding the market.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,537 times
Rubber_factory brings up an extremely good point that I think most folks are missing.
When rubber says, "At least for my local area........" and "Where I live......." are the keys to his statements.
Real estate is local-VERY local. I have noticed that most folks treat real estate as a whole, a single entity and do not look in part.

Your not buying a market-You're buying a specific property so hence your opportunity to buy/sell is very target specific.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,023 times
Of course every transaction and locality is different and where I am looking I am holding off for a few months.

But I'd have to add tax benefits as the biggest reason to buy if you are renting now.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I have been reading all the reasons why not to buy so I thought I would throw in my two cents to the positive aspects of buying a house now.

1. Interest rates are the lowest I have ever seen
And if you don't buy and wait... they will get even lower...

Quote:
2. There are many local grant programs for first time homebuyers.
Those grants have always been there, there is nothing "new" about them. They will still be there when house prices drop again..

Quote:
3. You have to live somewhere. Rents are climbing because of demand.
Increase rent versus overpaying a house... I take the increased rent cause even if it did increase, it is almost nothing compared to overpaying a house... pay an extra $25 in rent for one year and house prices drop 20k at the same time... hmm... I think I will rent...

Quote:
4. If you buy a house and your friend or relative needs a place to stay with you (and share the cost) you don't have to ask the landlord.
When a friend or relative stays with me... I don't ask the landlord (even though I am suppose to)... and 99.9% of them don't even care...

Quote:
5. In many ways it is easier to buy than to rent. The expense of moving, the increase in rent, the pet deposits, the security deposits and back ground checks, the chances of the owner selling it and getting kicked out.
Easier to buy then to rent? You are kidding me right? Have you even applied for a mortgage? Closing costs, looking for MULTIPLE lenders, traveling to 10-20 properties, homes with major renovation needed or hidden repairs that seem to crop up after you purchase a home, HOA fees, credit checks, appraisals, termite damage, water damage, old HVAC needs replacing, homeowners insurance, private mortgage insurance, flood insurance, etc. etc.

Quote:
There are many good deals. Decide where you want to be for the next few years and get an agent to find you a good deal.

Yeah, and wait a year or two and get an even BETTER deal...

Quote:
tax benefits
Only if you itemize... which MOST people don't...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,918 times
Reasons to buy....Realtor needs commission

Reasons not to buy....everything evilnewbie said.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

re taxtes:

Only if you itemize... which MOST people don't...
Yeah, if they're making less than 50K.

The Tax Foundation - Most Americans Don?t Itemize on Their Tax Returns

Good thing obamarama will be taking care of those folks

Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
It is a good time to buy if you can afford it in some areas. Watch out for major tax increases in states that are facing major budget issues...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
Good points ellen.IMHO -Unfortunately our society has been somewhat brainwashed, for lack of a better word, into expecting something nothing, that there is no such thing as pride in ownership and hard work, and wants are far more important than needs. Some do realize that real estate can be a gamble and are willing to take that risk. Everyone could buy a house...but not everyone wants a home. And therein lies the difference,

Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Why not to buy, yet

1.) Prices continue to drop
2.) Rents are dropping in most markets, which I expect to continue for the next year or two as many who cannot sell their homes become accidental landlords, flooding the market with supply.
3.) Interest rates are record lows, but are headed toward mid 4s for 30 year mortgage.

Many people do itemize their taxes. I have done so for years, even before owning real estate. True, many below $50K per year do not itemize.

It is definitely easier to rent than own, less responsibilities, though I do prefer to own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate