Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

When do you think we hit bottom price-wise in Chicago?

What do you think that equates to, 2001 or 2002 price levels? Let's not adjust for inflation to keep it simple.

Like you, I was hoping to get the "free" money from the $15K tax credit. (I don't need realtors to tell me isn't really free as it is a tax credit only available to those paying over $7500 per year in federal taxes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

Like you, I was hoping to get the "free" money from the $15K tax credit. (I don't need realtors to tell me isn't really free as it is a tax credit only available to those paying over $7500 per year in federal taxes).
That's actually innacurate anyway. The tax credit, whether you like to call it free money, or your money, is available to anyone who pays taxes. Yes, the maximum benefit is derived by people who would actually have a tax bill of $15,000 or more, but the benefit is available to anyone who pays taxes and buys a house.

Well, it would have been available. If the bill were passed with that included. Now we wait & see.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Bill

Bill,

You full well know I meant that the proposed tax credit only FULLY applies to individuals with tax liabilities exceeding $7500 per year. For those paying less, they would have received up to the amount they pay in in taxes.

Besides, as you pointed out, the bill did not pass. Instead, prices will just have to drop on their own, without additional govt interference.

I don't need a realtor to keep correcting me. But thanks.

You actually provide good info on this forum, unlike a lot of other realtors.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM

119 posts, read 387,550 times
It figures, good ol' Congress will cut the only provision of the bill that might actually help the housing industry, by encouraging home buying. They just want to give tax breaks and giveaways to those who don't pay taxes, and stick it to those who study hard in school to get good jobs, work hard, save for a rainy day, don't leave above their means, and pay their taxes.
I'll be plenty disgusted if the tax credit doesn't go through (not eligible for the $7500 loan) because it's a darn good idea, and even has a precedent of success.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Bill,

You full well know I meant that the proposed tax credit only FULLY applies to individuals with tax liabilities exceeding $7500 per year. For those paying less, they would have received up to the amount they pay in in taxes.

Besides, as you pointed out, the bill did not pass. Instead, prices will just have to drop on their own, without additional govt interference.

I don't need a realtor to keep correcting me. But thanks.

You actually provide good info on this forum, unlike a lot of other realtors.
First, thanks for your kind words.
And yes, I did, based on your posting history, assume you knew the details of what would have been available & to whom. I wanted to correct it though, for those who might have seen your post and didn't have the background.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
It figures, good ol' Congress will cut the only provision of the bill that might actually help the housing industry, by encouraging home buying. They just want to give tax breaks and giveaways to those who don't pay taxes, and stick it to those who study hard in school to get good jobs, work hard, save for a rainy day, don't leave above their means, and pay their taxes.
I'll be plenty disgusted if the tax credit doesn't go through (not eligible for the $7500 loan) because it's a darn good idea, and even has a precedent of success.
That pretty much sums up how I feel also. What's the point of calling it a stimulus package when it barely includes a "real stimulus" to try to stop the thing that is the root of this economic mess...Housing.

Like others have mentioned, it does not matter if you give people 500/1000 dollars. In this economy most will just hoard the cash. You need a real stimulus package. Just give those same people a $500/1000 (actually it may be 400/800) Visa/Mastercard/Amex/Discover "check/debit card" Force them to actually spend that money.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I'm not sure if I understand. What is wrong with housing? It seems to me that it is debt that is causing the problems.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Quote:
When do you think we hit bottom price-wise in Chicago?

What do you think that equates to, 2001 or 2002 price levels? Let's not adjust for inflation to keep it simple.

I think I'm at the micro-local level now. Various owners/sellers are perceiving this thing so differently that one home might "bottom" long before the one next door.

What I'm looking for-- for safety's sake-- is a home that baring any addition of actual square feet is close to being in line with a pre-1999 selling price adjusted for inflation. This requires digging on my part, but the information is available.

I think most homes are going to over-correct below the historic trend line, but that's going to take a while, so I'll take my chances with one I like that's at least in line with historic values.

If I had to predict Chicago's market? There are two scenarios:

1. The stimulus works and this recession turns out to be similar to previous post-WWII recessions. Housing bottoms 2012-2013.

2. The stimulus doesn't work and we-- if lucky-- turn into Japan. If unlucky and there's some wild economic backlash from all this money the government is throwing around, we turn into Argentina. Japan scenario: Housing bottoms hard 2016-2018 and then has an epileptic seizure when the baby boomers start trying to downsize out of the McMansions. Argentina: Screw housing. You'll be worried about food. Half the McMansions will be empty and half will have 22 people living in them, space broken up into sub-units (I've already seen an example of this, by the way.)

For what it's worth, I think the downward trend in both scenarios will be a slow bleed. I doubt our area will accelerate through California type declines, where everything happens in one year.

And yet, I'm shopping for a house.

Here's my disclaimer: No one can call this thing. It's unprecedented in the truest sense of the word. I will be delighted to be utterly and profoundly wrong if housing turns around anytime sooner than 2012. That would be the best news ever.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 PM

67 posts, read 99,461 times
Im a first time buyer and i am glad the bill did not pass due to the 5%down stipulation.There is no such thing as a 5%down loan, its either FHA 3.5% or 10%+.Most first time buyers can not afford to nor want to put down 10% in this sick economy.This bill was solely aimed at investors and not the young couple looking to buy thier first home to raise a family in.Is it just me or does Big Govt. like to bend the middle class over time after time, im sore.I live in California and have to wait on my state refund which is BS, after all I pay for all the social programs to help all the illegal imigrants with anchor babies.Which btw makes up a majority of our deficit here in cali, i deserve at least some of my money back lol.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM

169 posts, read 672,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinIE View Post
Im a first time buyer and i am glad the bill did not pass due to the 5%down stipulation.There is no such thing as a 5%down loan, its either FHA 3.5% or 10%+.Most first time buyers can not afford to nor want to put down 10% in this sick economy.This bill was solely aimed at investors and not the young couple looking to buy thier first home to raise a family in.Is it just me or does Big Govt. like to bend the middle class over time after time, im sore.I live in California and have to wait on my state refund which is BS, after all I pay for all the social programs to help all the illegal imigrants with anchor babies.Which btw makes up a majority of our deficit here in cali, i deserve at least some of my money back lol.
I think people better get used to 10 or better yet 20% down again - anything else is what got us into the mess in the first place. If you are not hanging around for 5 years (you may need to move) then maybe you should rent. If you cannot afford 20% - rent till you can. Home ownership is not a right. I'm not seeing what is so bad about going back to the way things were 20-30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate