Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Being from the NE, I am always amazed that basements are not common in tornado alley. I could not even imagine living out there with no basement. Do all homes at least have a storm cellar of some sort? Every home in Ohio has a basement, just like every home has a roof. The only exception would be condos built on slabs and some really small super cheap homes.

Up here we are on the very tail end of the tornado zone, we maybe get one small twister every 10 years, and small funnel clouds that never touch down, or touch down quickly and go right back up each year. People use basements during bad storms here all the time.
My two homes in Columbus Oh did not have basements. One had a crawl space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Florida homes rarely have basements, unless the home is built on the side of a hill (which would probably mean it's in north Florida) and has a walk-out basement. The reason is the water table is so high. In fact, if you're building a swimming pool, you have to have a pump going constantly to pump the water out of the hole in the ground as the pool is being constructed. Once the pool is built you can't pump all the water out and leave the pool standing empty for any length of time as the pressure of the water in the ground will most likely make the pool walls collapse.

Floridians generally use their garages (or sometimes attic space) for the storage that a basement would provide.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Most of the SE has a water table that is only slightly below ground level making it virtually impossible to do anything but a walk out basement.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM

141 posts, read 426,443 times
I know where I used to live in South Mississippi we did not have them because we were right at sea level. I am sure Florida has the same problem. We recently moved to Missouri and noticed that a lot of the older homes here have them. I like the basement idea if it is at least partially finished because it provides extra storage space.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Pretty much every home in CT has a basement, for reasons already noted in other postings. When looking at homes we came across one that was on a slab and it just seemed odd to us that there was no basement. Even in Ohio we had a basement, albeit smaller than ones in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate