Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

How to properly sell a home in tight real estate market, quality pictures, proper staging, pleasant smelling home, proper sale price, utilize comps

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM

238 posts, read 763,252 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a house for quite a while, and for what it's worth, here's some thoughts about selling a house in this market.

1. Photos. This one makes me want to pull my hair out. I can't tell you how many photos of street signs, couches, mirrors, and I-don't-know-what-the-hell-that-is I've looked at, but it really makes me think that approximately 50% of all real estate agents are completely incompetent.

Is it really that hard to take pictures?

2. Yes, apparently it is. Judging from the number of listings that have exactly one photo, anyway.

Why would any listing have fewer than the maximum allowed? Is there really nothing inside the house that's worth taking a picture of?

3. Pricing. Yes, I know everyone wants to get top dollar, just like every buyer wants a deal. I don't fault anyone for that. But I wish that some folks would at least consider the comps. I mean, I know sellers can get their prices from their magic 8-balls if they want, but market price is not 10% above the most expensive house that's ever been sold on your block.

In my market (Austin) 68% of houses expired last month unsold. All those houses out there just sitting (especially the empty ones) seems like a waste to me.

4. Smell. It probably shouldn't be a big deal, but... it is. For a lot of folks, what they're looking for is not just a good deal, but a house they can connect to emotionally. And nothing affects people emotionally more than smell.

When buyers see missing tiles or whatever they often think, "I can fix that (for the right price)." But somehow it doesn't work that way when it comes to smell.

5. HGTV-ing. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but... if you're going to HGTV your house, fine. I like that stuff too. I appreciate fancy faucets and counters and wood floors. But I know the way to Home Depot too. I'm not paying 2x for something they charged you 1x to put in.

Especially when I can pay 1x and get exactly what I want put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusK View Post
I've been looking for a house for quite a while, and for what it's worth, here's some thoughts about selling a house in this market.
This is a buyer's market - meaning that there are far too many houses for the number of real buyers out there. IMO, your laundry list shows that your like the majority of "buyers" and are too picky.

Sorry, but these threads of buyers consistently complaining are starting to get old.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
I feel sorry for sellers these days, lol. Fix it, don't fix it...furnish it, don't have furniture there, put pics up, they're the wrong pics, leave it vacant, don't leave it vacant, paint it neutral, put some pizzazz and wow factor in there, take the pictures out, don't make it look sterile.
:rofl: It's ridiculous. It really is.
I can't tell you how many times I will explain to a buyer... yes, but that color can be changed..do you like the floor plan, does that work for you? Or that I've said...you aren't buying their furniture.
*sigh*

Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
If the seller wants multiple photos they should hire an agent that does multiple photos. If the seller was misled by the Realtor then they should fire the Realtor.

The seller probably hired one of those low service agents that you keep saying is the future of RE and are getting what they paid for.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

1. Photos. This one makes me want to pull my hair out. I can't tell you how many photos of street signs, couches, mirrors, and I-don't-know-what-the-hell-that-is I've looked at, but it really makes me think that approximately 50% of all real estate agents are completely incompetent.

2. Yes, apparently it is. Judging from the number of listings that have exactly one photo, anyway.

Why would any listing have fewer than the maximum allowed? Is there really nothing inside the house that's worth taking a picture of?

3. Pricing. Yes, I know everyone wants to get top dollar, just like every buyer wants a deal. I don't fault anyone for that. But I wish that some folks would at least consider the comps. I mean, I know sellers can get their prices from their magic 8-balls if they want, but market price is not 10% above the most expensive house that's ever been sold on your block.

In my market (Austin) 68% of houses expired last month unsold. All those houses out there just sitting (especially the empty ones) seems like a waste to me.

4. Smell. It probably shouldn't be a big deal, but... it is. For a lot of folks, what they're looking for is not just a good deal, but a house they can connect to emotionally. And nothing affects people emotionally more than smell.

When buyers see missing tiles or whatever they often think, "I can fix that (for the right price)." But somehow it doesn't work that way when it comes to smell.

5. HGTV-ing. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but... if you're going to HGTV your house, fine. I like that stuff too. I appreciate fancy faucets and counters and wood floors. But I know the way to Home Depot too. I'm not paying 2x for something they charged you 1x to put in.

Well I'm in the Austin area myself. People do not realize the "recession" IS indeed hitting Austin. They still think we're in a bubble and that Austin will not get hit. The expired listings tell to that.

My home was appraised at 30K under last year's county assessment yet people are saying that their homes appreciated last year..Austin is a stronog market. So for now I just internet shop and watch prices.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM

100 posts, read 403,072 times
We saw a few houses in which the sellers had obviously "given up" on the house.

Smelly, disgusting rugs that were left covering perfectly good hardwood floors. No working lightbulbs in the basement (can you say scary?) We even saw one place that had what I swear was the very first microwave from the 1960s. Another place was great - but had a massive stain on the living room hardwood floor that the sellers could have repaired for less than $1k on a $550k home.

Why not just bite the bullet? Why not just tear out the rugs? Why not sink $150 into a microwave or simply remove the one that's there and either put it on eBay or throw it out?

I don't think you need to sink $50k into a new kitchen, but some things certainly fall into the "low effort, big return" category.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM

41 posts, read 232,328 times
Quote:

3. I'm in in the austin area too. So i feel you on the pricing. I think the whole belief austin is still a strong market and has not been hit compared to the rest of the nation has kept sellers pricing high and aggressive. one house listed it at 110,000 dollars more than what 4 of the houses sold on the block a year or two years ago. And $49,000 more than a similar house right across the street for sale ( and this is after a price reduction!). I know its hard to compare what sold now and in the past . But that means that house appreciated 40% in a year. kinda odd to me in todays market when things are suppose to be going down not up.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
When I'm looking for a house I prefer the ones that are marketed poorly or have cosmetic problems. Those tend to be the best values, and the competition is repelled. I wouldn't be looking now, esp. in Texas, which recently turned the corner to head full steam into this depression. They were late to the downfall due in part to high oil prices last year. Now oil prices have plummeted. You'll likely have a way better selection of deeply-discounted houses just by being patient.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
This is a buyer's market - meaning that there are far too many houses for the number of real buyers out there. IMO, your laundry list shows that your like the majority of "buyers" and are too picky.

Sorry, but these threads of buyers consistently complaining are starting to get old.
TOo picky. Nice. hahaha.. If you saw half of the houses I walked into today you would take that comment back. One house had a toilet COVERED in black filth from the inside crepping out to the top. So you can just imagine what the rest of the house looked like if these people who held a open house couldn't even CLEAN a toilet for the past 6 months. I bet they took top care of the rest of the house. NOT!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM

100 posts, read 403,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
When I'm looking for a house I prefer the ones that are marketed poorly or have cosmetic problems. Those tend to be the best values, and the competition is repelled.
I said the exact same thing to my wife, but the argument didn't go very far. "We WANT the house with the horrible, smelly rugs, but the nice wood floors underneath."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate